Check Facts, Not Feelings Before Purchase

Good article, but seems very sensible and intuitive.

However, consumers have proven over time that they often lack an abundance of both. :-/

I thought about this awhile and determined that everything that I buy that I Need, I get very little enjoyment from.

Excellent point, Cut-Throat. If I have a gangrenous leg, I sure need an amputation. Will I enjoy it? Not very likely.

The "do I need it" question is helpful to me in areas that are neither necessary, nor all that enjoyable. I admit that most things I buy I enjoy, but some more than others, and some purchases I might find decrease my overall level of satisfaction in life.

What I mean is when the side effects of a purchase get really close to the benefits, I need to learn to let it go. This is probably second nature to many here, but not yet to me. By side effects, I mean the negatives of clutter, the need for additional maintainence, or even just lost money and security, that is forever gone.

Hobby gear is an area like this for me. Drums allow a practically limitless scope for doo-dads and upgrades. I have made it my plan-a hard one but I think possible- to insist that I am playing at a professional level before I spend any more money on drum stuff, which I really do enjoy, but I will feel better with more skill than with more equipment.

I now live on about $2000 month, without any rent. Truly, the only thing I really can't cut back is insurance, and to a lesser extent, power. Even car expense can be cut back just by staying home.

I'm with you, I want to enjoy my life. But at the same time I hope to nibble away at spending that may be fun, but maybe not enough to deliver full value for what it costs.

And speaking only for myself, just because something is obvious is no reason for me to think I don't need help with it! :D

Mikey

Back
Top Bottom