Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
But the handheld machine switched to French language for some reason. :-)
Is your card from Le Banc De Chase?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I may have used the wrong word to describe the process. The server put my card into the same portable device used for Canadians, then made a surprised noise and it printed out my receipt. No pin was entered and I did not sign anything. But the handheld machine switched to French language for some reason. :-)
It must have been a Quebecois point de vente dispositif POS device, eh?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I just came across a piece that says October 2015 is the target date for the US to switch over to chip & pin cards (although older cards will still work).

October 2015: The End of the Swipe-and-Sign Credit Card - Corporate Intelligence - WSJ
Old 04-17-2014, 05:49 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

It's about damn time the US gets on board with this. After a couple more merchants of Target size get hacked, it will move forward for sure I bet.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
It's about damn time the US gets on board with this. After a couple more merchants of Target size get hacked, it will move forward for sure I bet.
Or even enough of the small fry...

Michaels says 3 million payment cards may have been stolen in breach - latimes.com

Three million here, a couple million there...

Alas, the Oct 2015 date is just when MasterCard starts rolling out chip and signature cards. Chip and PIN will be along sometime later, and won't be required of participating banks.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

If they had to compensate customers for the inconvenience of dealing with stolen CC information, I predict they would go to chip-n-pin in a New York minute.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Braumeister for the info. I am happy to see that and will I have the chip in my BoA card, I am hopeful they will just need to assign a pin.

Now the next step is a dynamic pin mainly for protection with online purchases. It works with an algorithm. The computer recognizes the algorithm with the ever changing pin. This technology is being used today as well but not in the USA.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
+1

About 1000 Walmart stores have chip and pin machines up and running, and if they detect that it is a chip card, they actually require you to push the card into the slot for chip and pin cards.

But they don't require the PINs for low dollar amounts. Someone recently said they paid $130 at Walmart, and they still didn't require a PIN to be entered. So it's kind of hard to test the PIN in the US if they don't require the PIN!
Note that for small dollar amounts Walmart does not require signatures for old fashioned credit cards either, like some bookstores and the like the limit for the swipe cards is like $25 where a reciept is issued without needing a signature.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
Thanks Braumeister for the info. I am happy to see that and will I have the chip in my BoA card, I am hopeful they will just need to assign a pin.

Now the next step is a dynamic pin mainly for protection with online purchases. It works with an algorithm. The computer recognizes the algorithm with the ever changing pin. This technology is being used today as well but not in the USA.
That PIN doesn't work for credit card transaction, only for cash advances via an ATM and you don't want to use your card for that - high fees! BofA does not issue a chip and pin card yet, just chip and signature.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:16 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Note that for small dollar amounts Walmart does not require signatures for old fashioned credit cards either, like some bookstores and the like the limit for the swipe cards is like $25 where a reciept is issued without needing a signature.
Yeah, but $130?!?!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There are also the occasional rude counter in the Amsterdam railway stations where they pretty much tell you "no PIN, no play" even though I suspect the chip and signature would work just fine, but they don't want to deal with you. At least the main counter for international tickets specified you had to have a "chip" card, but handled chip and signature just fine.
BTW - this example, the train station counter would accept NO CASH, only chip and PIN card. We tried to buy a couple of sandwiches in a train station deli, and they clearly marked the registers and "Card with Chip and PIN only" and claimed they wouldn't take my card.

Later I decided they just didn't want to deal with me, because the international train reservations counter took my chip and signature card just fine - even though they had signs clearly stating they would accept chip cards only. Another counter - for bus tickets - also claimed "no chip and pin no play", but at least they accepted my cash! In fact the growly guy behind the counter actually cracked a smile when I whipped out a 50 note and said - this should work instead of a PIN!

What's funny - is all these counters had the same credit cards with chip only signs, but they each handled the signature issue differently.

It's not uncommon for grocery stores and restaurants in Amsterdam to run "cashless". Most locations we encountered were manned and handled our chip and signature card just fine. The deli at the train station was an exception - but a kind of exception that can prove to be very inconvenient if you're really hungry and want to take a sandwich on the train!!!!!
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

We're in Spain right now and have had no trouble. They stuff the swipe card into the reader and it works just fine. Last year in Amsterdam, I used one of their computers to buy train tickets on-line with my defective credit card.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

We got our PenFed chip and pin credit cards this week. Now if I cold only test them! Walmart reads the chip but doesn't take the pin yet as far as I know - still using signature but only for larger amounts.

We'll see how Alan gets on.

Hopefully PenFed handles the travel advisory OK.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #34

Quote:
We got our PenFed chip and pin credit cards this week. Now if I cold only test them! Walmart reads the chip but doesn't take the pin yet as far as I know - still using signature but only for larger amounts.

We'll see how Alan gets on.

Hopefully PenFed handles the travel advisory OK.
I'll be sure to report back, leaving on the 10th.

I was pretty disappointed with the travel advisory last year in that I was able to use the card no problem while in Europe, but back in the USA a cloned version of the card was used in walk-in stores in New York and Atlanta in June even though the travel advisory I'd set up said I would not be in the country from March 30th to September 15th, and for each month traveling I listed which countries I would be in.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'll be sure to report back, leaving on the 10th.

I was pretty disappointed with the travel advisory last year in that I was able to use the card no problem while in Europe, but back in the USA a cloned version of the card was used in walk-in stores in New York and Atlanta in June even though the travel advisory I'd set up said I would not be in the country from March 30th to September 15th, and for each month traveling I listed which countries I would be in.
Yes, I remember you reporting a problem. I just didn't remember whether your card got blocked while you were overseas. I guess not!
Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
I'll be trying out my new chip and signature VISA from BofA in europe in about a week. Luckily, no train travel on the itinerary, so that won't be a problem.
I used this card a few times and it worked pretty well. It worked fine being inserted into the charge machines and, yes, I did have to sign a receipt, but no one complained.

I did not try it in a non-attended kiosk.

The best thing was that there was no foreign traction charge - the main reason I got the card.

(I was just reviewing the charges (to make sure there was no FTC) and they list both the EUR and USD amounts for my charges in the Netherlands, but just the USD amounts for charges in Austria (Euro) and Hungary (Forint). Kinda odd...)
Old 05-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Is this on your statement or on your recent transactions online? I think they showed only USD online, but both currencies on my statement. Charges from NL and Belgium.

Have the same card.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Is this on your statement or on your recent transactions online? I think they showed only USD online, but both currencies on my statement. Charges from NL and Belgium.
I was looking online.

The items with both Euro and USD were from last month, so maybe it gets updated when the bill gets generated? I'll keep an eye on it.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:26 AM   #39

I'm in Canada at present, used my Penfed card 3 times and while it works it doesn't prompt for a PIN, just asks for a signature, so I still haven't been able to test the PIN yet.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm in Canada at present, used my Penfed card 3 times and while it works it doesn't prompt for a PIN, just asks for a signature, so I still haven't been able to test the PIN yet.
Well, I guess you will have to wait until your try to use an automated machine in Europe?

I read somewhere (did we discuss it here?) that these cards are configured for "signature priority". That is, if a signature can be obtained, the card will prompt for that, only defaulting to PIN if signature cannot be obtained. Kind of annoying that, but probably yet another Americanismo when it comes to dang credit cards!!!!!