COLA

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Received this in a recent email from MOAA. Looks like a COLA is in the works for next FY.

Inflation rose 1.1 percent for the third month in a row and now stands at 2.1 percent for the year. At this rate retirees are almost certain to see at least a modest COLA increase in 2012.

MOAA: COLA Watch

Great new, you military retirees need that COLA. Since I retired from the reserves instead of active duty, I won't start drawing my retired pay for another 6+ yrs. As a still-working fed employee, I'm enjoying the sweet 2-year pay freeze we just recently embarked on...

Great news, [-]you[/-] we military retirees [-]need[/-] already paid for that COLA.
Fixed that for ya. What's it say in block 23 of your latest DD-214... does that word start with the letters "Ret..."?

I'd be happy to give up the COLA in exchange for returning to 2008's prices again.

If we could get back to 2 or 3 percent per year, I'd be happy.

Fixed that for ya. What's it say in block 23 of your latest DD-214... does that word start with the letters "Ret..."?

I'd be happy to give up the COLA in exchange for returning to 2008's prices again.

Yeah, it's true that I'm retired. But...since I retired from the reserves instead of active duty, I don't start getting paid until 60, so that's why I worded my reply that way. But yep...technically I AM a military retiree! I guess what I need to do is to be sure I extract the equivalent of what my retired pay would be in the form of free fitness center visits, use of as much MWR facilities and activities/equipment as possible, commissary case lot sales, AAFES discount coupons, cheap NCO/Officer's Club meals & activities etc. as I can until the check starts showing up in the mailbox.

Yeah, it's true that I'm retired. But...since I retired from the reserves instead of active duty, I don't start getting paid until 60, so that's why I worded my reply that way. But yep...technically I AM a military retiree! I guess what I need to do is to be sure I extract the equivalent of what my retired pay would be in the form of free fitness center visits, use of as much MWR facilities and activities/equipment as possible, commissary case lot sales, AAFES discount coupons, cheap NCO/Officer's Club meals & activities etc. as I can until the check starts showing up in the mailbox.

I think you should do exactly that! Those sound like great benefits and for example I can't imagine having free fitness center visits and not taking advantage of them. How cool is that! And you deserve them or you would be paying every month for a gym like those of us who haven't served. (Thanks to all who have, protecting and defending our country).

Go for it. Military is a great career with unbeatable benefits. There's a rather well-known reason for that...

Amethyst

I think you should do exactly that! Those sound like great benefits and for example I can't imagine having free fitness center visits and not taking advantage of them. How cool is that! And you deserve them or you would be paying every month for a gym like those of us who haven't served. (Thanks to all who have, protecting and defending our country).

Many of the benefits are dependent on one's proximity to a military installation.

BRAC eliminated the feasibility of using many of these benefits. Unless one thinks the benefits are worth retiring and living next to an installation. I don't.

Many of the benefits are dependent on one's proximity to a military installation.

BRAC eliminated the feasibility of using many of these benefits. Unless one thinks the benefits are worth retiring and living next to an installation. I don't.

Depends on the location of the installation.....:)

I don't know of anyone who has joined the military for the "benefits."

Sure after it's all over you can look back and see that you've got a great medical plan that costs next to nothing, a healthy pension, spaceA flying opportunities, low cost overnight travel facilities all over the world, etc etc. and then say~ "Damn, that was a good decision to spend 20+ years in a dangerous profession and make it safely out the other end."

I don't know of anyone who has joined the military for the "benefits."
Hey, that's what I did! Three hots & a cot; what else would you want/need? :LOL:

Oh wait, I didn't retire (I was drafted :cool: ). I gave up my "bennies" ASAP...

Back
Top Bottom