Confused about back door Roth from 401K

tinlizzy

Full time employment: Posting here.
Currently I have no IRA's. I had never heard about a back door Roth using after-tax monies from a 401K until researching IRA's this last weekend.

My plan does allow in-service rollovers with after tax contributions. However, my after-tax contributions are limited to 5% of eligible compensation which would be $3,600.

Since the whole point (correct me if I'm wrong) of a back door Roth from after-tax 401K is to circumvent the (in my case) $5,000 limit am I correct to assume I could back door this $3,600 into a Roth IRA and still contribute another $5,000?

TIA, Liz

Since the whole point (correct me if I'm wrong) of a back door Roth from after-tax 401K is to circumvent the (in my case) $5,000 limit am I correct to assume I could back door this $3,600 into a Roth IRA and still contribute another $5,000?
Yes, that's correct. One has nothing to do with the other. Note the small amount of earnings that $3,600 generates before you do the in-service withdrawal will still be taxable, although it'll be negligible.

Yes it works. I did this the last few years. In my case I did it not only to circumvent the $5K limit on a Roth IRA, I also did it to circumvent the (then) $16,500 limit on 401K contributions. The $16,500 (now $17K) limit applies to before-tax + Roth 401k contributions. The limit for before tax + Roth + after tax + employer match 401K contributions is now $50K.

Of course those are federal limits - every 401K can have additional rules.

One more thing to think about, there are limits to total contributions if you are considered highly compensated. I don't remember all the rules, but I hit this when I worked for a small company where many didn't contribute.

Thank you everyone for the answers!

Yes it works. I did this the last few years. In my case I did it not only to circumvent the $5K limit on a Roth IRA, I also did it to circumvent the (then) $16,500 limit on 401K contributions. The $16,500 (now $17K) limit applies to before-tax + Roth 401k contributions. The limit for before tax + Roth + after tax + employer match 401K contributions is now $50K.

Of course those are federal limits - every 401K can have additional rules.

You touched on my next question. I did read about the 49K figure (imposed by the IRS) and that individual plans have limits of their own (5% for mine). So I could assume that people rolling over large amounts 1) have no limits imposed by their 401K or 2) have limits but their earnings are high so that the % in dollars is high or 3) does the roll over occur every time a person hits the after-tax limit imposed by the 401K up to the 49K?

I'll be happy squirreling away an extra $3,600 but I'm wondering if a plan's after-tax limit is reset to zero when the roll over occurs. I realize that you can't answer specifically for my 401K plan but is this one of the scenarios for contributing up to the 49K? In other words, is this a way around plan limits?

I hope that made sense. Liz

This is just a guess on my part. I'm thinking your 401k doesn't really want you to contribute after tax $. Does your company have a matching program on up to you putting in 5% of your pay?

If so, then the intention of the 5% limit on after-tax contributions is probably intended for those that have met the $17K limit (or smaller limit if considered highly compensated) of before-tax contributions and wants to continue to make enough contributions to receive the full match.

I doubt that rolling out any of your contributions will have any effect on the 5% limit. I also imagine it is determined per paycheck and not annually. In other words, you probably can't wait until the last month of the year and put the whole $3600 (5% of annual pay) in - you would be limited to 5% of that months pay.

One more thing to consider if you are trying to max out Roth contributions and don't mind "paying the tax now". There is no federal restriction on rolling out a company match from a 401k. So if you have a company match that you are vested in and your company allows you to roll it out - then you can roll that to a Roth IRA. No penalty but it will count toward taxable income for the year you do the roll over.

I've done this too.

I'll be happy squirreling away an extra $3,600 but I'm wondering if a plan's after-tax limit is reset to zero when the roll over occurs. I realize that you can't answer specifically for my 401K plan but is this one of the scenarios for contributing up to the 49K? In other words, is this a way around plan limits?
No.

This is just a guess on my part. I'm thinking your 401k doesn't really want you to contribute after tax $. Does your company have a matching program on up to you putting in 5% of your pay?

If so, then the intention of the 5% limit on after-tax contributions is probably intended for those that have met the $17K limit (or smaller limit if considered highly compensated) of before-tax contributions and wants to continue to make enough contributions to receive the full match.

I doubt that rolling out any of your contributions will have any effect on the 5% limit. I also imagine it is determined per paycheck and not annually. In other words, you probably can't wait until the last month of the year and put the whole $3600 (5% of annual pay) in - you would be limited to 5% of that months pay.

This is a 401K plan offered to hourly (union) employees. No match for anyone involved in this plan that I'm aware of. Salaried/mgmt have a completely different 401K plan. I have no clue why then they allow this 5%.

I'm in the 15% tax bracket filing head of household now but for a few years, before retirement and after retirement it will be 25 or 28%.

Thank you.

Can the money go directly into a Roth or does it have to go thru a tIRA first?

The 401K plan now offers a Roth401K also. I need to figure out which 401K is best for me also.

Can the money go directly into a Roth or does it have to go thru a tIRA first?

The 401K plan now offers a Roth401K also. I need to figure out which 401K is best for me also.
Go directly. The after-tax portion does not take away the limit on pre-tax or Roth 401k. If you are not maxing out either pre-tax or Roth 401k, you should probably just increase the pre-tax amount or the Roth 401k amount.

If it works out, use the traditional 401k to keep yourself in the 15% bracket just before retirement. Probably not too bad to contribute to the Roth 401k now as long as you can remain in the 15% bracket.

Back
Top Bottom