Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I live in Nebraska not New Jersey but I do have a house similar in size (1432 sq ft with basement) and the weather might be similar. I paid $793 last year for natural gas - $66 per month over 12 months. I did tend to keep the temperature a little low last year, 68 degrees or so.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Can't you just ask whoever is paying the heating bills now for the answer?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter777 View Post
Say you have a house that is 1,500 square feet, with the same size basement. Say you live in New Jersey, use gas for heat, have a medium efficiency furnace. Say the outside temperature is 35 degrees farenheit and you keep the inside of the house, basement and upstairs at 70 degrees farenheit. About how much would that cost for a 24 hour period? The house is not insulated great, just average. Just a good estimate is fine. Thanks.
Why would you want to heat the basement Is it finished living space? With the basement you will be heating 3000sq ft. Are the concrete walls insulated? Lots of variables here.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Here's a data point for you: I'm a little to the south of you but on the east coast. Last december the avg temp was 36 F. The bill worked out to about $6 a day (at natural gas around $1 per 100 cubic feet from the local nat gas utility). 1800 sf house, 40 years old, with decent insulation in attic and crawl space - no idea about the walls (whatever was standard 40 years ago!). Our windows are vintage 1972 so not the most thermally efficient. No basement, but there is a crawlspace so that might be a wash vs your situation. My furnace is 92% efficient IIRC but 7 years old. We keep daytime temps around 70 when we are there and nighttime it rolls back to 63-65. Direct sun exposure all day (no trees). FWIW.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #25

Natural Gas usage for the year is about $700. House is about 2000 sqft with no basement.
I live in northern PA.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #26

My house in ND is 900 square feet but has a finished basement that is also heated. The balanced billing for natural gas is about $34 per month.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in Colorado. Approx 1500 sq ft two story (2200 sq ft if you include the basement). Have averaged between $1000 and $1100 a year for gas and electric for the last 9 years.
Surprisingly, the cost has risen very little in the last few years (retired 4 years).
Old 01-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #28

The questioner's house is just slightly smaller than mine in the Boston area with similar layout and description.

Gas last year was roughly $1250 for the year...about six months of heating...about $6 a day. This also includes negligible gas useage for cooking stove and hot water...about $20 a month in summer.

This year's warm weather has been a boon! We're already almost $400 less than last year.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:42 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I live in the Boston area. My Gas costs were $1014 last year and $300 for Pellets for my stove. 2100 Sq.ft.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #30

Honeywell - Savings Calculator

This is a great link to keep around.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
The questioner's house is just slightly smaller than mine in the Boston area with similar layout and description.

Gas last year was roughly $1250 for the year...about six months of heating...about $6 a day. This also includes negligible gas useage for cooking stove and hot water...about $20 a month in summer.

This year's warm weather has been a boon! We're already almost $400 less than last year.
I was comparing my bill covering December 2011 (that just ended). Exactly half the gas consumption versus last December (which was colder than average). Of course it only saved me about $80 for December!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

NW 'burbs of Chicago, so somewhat similar to NJ.
2,000 sf main floor and 2,000 sf finished, walk-out basement with sliding doors/windows along the back wall.
2 x 6 stud walls and good insulation in the attic.
Air-to-air heat pump for heating, elect stove and water heater. We have our own well.
So, our only energy bill is electricity.

Spring/Fall with minimal heat/AC, elec bill was less than $150/mo.
Mid-winter in a bad month, hit $450 one time. So that means a really cold winter month can cost us up to $300 for heating, or about $10/day.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

This seems like a good plan to me. I went on Amazon and read reviews of quite a few different types of electric space heaters. I couldn't find any that did not have many one-star reviews, usually because the units had worked a few days or weeks then gave up.

Anyone have suggestions for a quality unit?

I have in-ceiling resistance heating, and it gives a very slow response so I don't like to turn the thermostat down very low when I go out, since it takes it so long to get the room comfortable in any kind of cold weather. My other possibility would be to bypass the ceiling radiant heat and put a wall unit in my LR (which is open to the kitchen and is the only room I heat.)

I like to sleep cold, and also to keep my bedroom cold so I can row my C2 without sweating like a pig.

Ha
Old 01-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Dyson Hot™ fan heater | Dyson.com

It's $400, but it gets great reviews.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:09 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I have in-ceiling resistance heating, and it gives a very slow response so I don't like to turn the thermostat down very low when I go out, since it takes it so long to get the room comfortable in any kind of cold weather. My other possibility would be to bypass the ceiling radiant heat and put a wall unit in my LR (which is open to the kitchen and is the only room I heat.)
That electric cable heating in the ceiling is about the most costly way to heat. Have you got natural gas available? If you're willing to invest in a wall furnace installation it could save you a lot of money.

Another relatively cheap-but-good option IF you already have a NG water heater and it has sufficient capacity (BTU's) is to plumb a small hydronic baseboard unit or two to it. That way the water heater's burner also serves as your furnace. Keep the electric ceiling heat for emergencies or if the NG can't keep up on the coldest days.

Less money but more per month are the small baseboard electric heaters. They aren't too pretty, but they have a rather quick response time. They also make small in-wall units that look just like the register for a central system but they are all self-contained and pump out warm air with a fan.

Lowest cost: Portable room heater. Sorry, that's what you asked about and I don't have a recommendation. I'd buy a ceramic-element unit with a fan if you want the room to heat quickly.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:55 PM   #36

I have a friend that has been using an Eden Pure heater for several years with no problems at all.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Amazon.com: Broan 6201 Big Heat Portable Heater Efficient Two-Level Heater 1500 or 1200 watts Built-in thermost: Appliances

It isn't all that attractive, but the unit is is compact, sturdy and very well-built. I have one in the RV and really like it as it can be placed almost anywhere and takes up very little room.

It has a powerful fan for its size and has a strong airflow - significantly stronger than most portable electric heaters. It can heat up a room much quicker than its size indiicates.

On the negative side, the fan is louder than heaters with lesser airflow, but I don't find it loud enough to be a problem.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Amazon.com: Broan 6201 Big Heat Portable Heater Efficient Two-Level Heater 1500 or 1200 watts Built-in thermost: Appliances

It isn't all that attractive, but the unit is is compact, sturdy and very well-built. I have one in the RV and really like it as it can be placed almost anywhere and takes up very little room.

It has a powerful fan for its size and has a strong airflow - significantly stronger than most portable electric heaters. It can heat up a room much quicker than its size indiicates.

On the negative side, the fan is louder than heaters with lesser airflow, but I don't find it loud enough to be a problem.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I don't have access to natural gas, so that is out. My only beef with my ceiling system is its very slow response time. I think I'll I'll get one of these Broan 6201, since it works for REW and since it gets good reviews, seems durable, and it is cheap. This will likely be all I need. I can carry it into the bedroom or bathroom when I need some heat in there, and use it in my living space when I come in from outside and it is cold. I don't think there is any heat at all in the bathroom, but then it isn't all that cold around here anyway. I'll make the background heat at 58-60 degrees, and see how it goes.

Ha
Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM   #39

Way north of New Jersey and it was zero this morning here. I pay $450 (3 cord) to heat my 1500 sq ft house. Heating oil is for hot water, I buy oil once every 14-15 months.

I heat with wood and it was 78 last night in here and 72 when I woke up. If you go this route you'll be incredibly warm. Even if you pay $225 a cord, it's probably cheaper than oil and you will be MUCH warmer unless you want to keep your thermostat at 76-78 and pay the price which will be easily double the cost of wood and if you get it as cheap as I do triple.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:42 AM   #40

I live in a cold part of the country also. Snow still in the streets. I own a small condo, less than 1,000 sq ft, and heating / air conditioning is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Way north of New Jersey and it was zero this morning here. I pay $450 (3 cord) to heat my 1500 sq ft house. Heating oil is for hot water, I buy oil once every 14-15 months.

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote