Costs of a Perpetual Traveller Lifestyle?

Akaisha:

You mention a small place in a resort. (Southwest where?) Can you elaborate? Where abouts did you choose and what do you classify as small? (Do you own a RV or a manufactured home?)

SWR

Akaisha,

Again thank you for the information. It's one thing to plan for it and another to hear from someone who's done it/doing it.

How did the costs work out compared to your expectations? When you were planning pre-FIRE were you estimating more or less than you actually spend? Anything that came up in PT FIRE that wasn't what you expected? Have your costs over the years been rising with inflation, decreasing as you get better at finding bargains, or staying even perhaps with both factors cancelling out?

Thanks again

Hyperborea,
Thanks for the links.....I'll check out your findings. The PPO plan I'm looking into covers generic drugs.

Surfs Up

Akaisha,
Excellent post, thank you !! Its great to see historical data from someone has been there done that. I spent 9 months in SE Asia (Thailand, Loas, Malaysia, Indonesia) in 99..... and spent 5 months in Central America this year (Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador)....so I'm starting to get a feel for what the PT lifestyle is like. Next up is Mexico and South America.

I travel with 1-2 surfboards...a tennis racket would be easier! I like that idea. But surfing is my biggest passion right now.... and brings me to beautiful exotic.
inexpensive locations. When I was in Indonesia (for 4 months) I spent $300-$400 a month (for everything) to stay in huts on the beach and surf many of the best waves on the planet.....fresh fish every day that the fisherman brought by, beer, fresh out of the oven coconut rolls....glad I went when I did though...A little more unstable now since 911 and the Bali bombings.....but I would go back.

I agree with your philosophy that the simple things in life bring the most pleasure.

Best,

Surfs Up

I'll throw my 2 baht in...

I'm a single ER PT, but I've lived in Thailand for the past 19 months. My budget is $1,000 per month and I'm usually underbudget on a 12 month rolling average.

Since I intend to remain outside the US, I "roll the dice" with respect to health insurance. One of the guys in my apartment building spent a week in Phayathai Hospital (Bangkok) intensive care ward-the total bill was $1,000 US. Private room, tv, etc. (He told me the ailment, but I've forgotten.) If I were going to spend any time in the US, I would opt for a high deductable plan like Billy & Akaisha do.

Sure, you can meet a lady here, but bar girls are best avoided. Their "job" is to seperate you from your money. Believe me, there are many decent, respectable and trustworthy ladies interested in having a "farang" (foreign) boyfriend.

Everyone is different, but I love the freedom that comes with pt'ing. For me, no material posession(s) is/are worth my freedom.

Jus one guy's opinion.

Lance

Lance,
I'm joining the PT lifestyle next week.....traveling and surfing in Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Chile, Panama, Costa Rica, Nicaragua. I have budgeted $16K per year excluding flights...I have loads of frequent flyer miles.

How does your $1000 per month budget breakout for the past 18 months.....food, lodging, beer, entertainment, massage...? Just curious. I spent 9 months in SE Asia in 99 and loved it (Thailand, Loas, Malaysia, Indonesia). I plan on returning to SE Asia!

Best,
Surfs Up

Just a note that I have been checking out the following site for the expat's info on living in Thailand.

http://bkktonite.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.cgi

If you check out the living and money matters sections it does agree well with what lance professes. my cheers go out to lance. I'd also recommend a candid review of living there by the stickman - weekly reviews and lots of up to date stories.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/

Surf - please keep us posted on your adventures ... did you say in a week - I do envy your spirit. I'm torturously putting in a few more days or weeks - what for? just another tier of security but then again - when I called my GF that I was was giving my letter of resignation 3 weeks ago, she calmed me saying just chill. How did you make that cut?

Lance, I'm also interested in your budget over there. Amazing you chill with a fan - did your blood adjust to the weather? I love the winter seasons over there, and my plans are early fall ski season in Colorado then mid-winter trips to Thailand. Damn ... I'm dreaming already and not even in bed yet for another drudge at the office tommorow. You're already living the dream.

notTwain

NotTwain,
Yes, I'm heading to Mexico next week, then South America, Central America.....I'll post when I can from the road. It does take awhile to get everything setup....health insurance, online banking, selling and donating everything.

I would say PT mental preparation is important....you can assume that just about everyone you know will not understand why (or how) you've decided to become a PT. Read Terhorsts book/website and Billys website for some excellent advice. It's a lifestyle that few people would like, but I love it....definetly not for the everyone.

Best of luck,

Surf

Twain + Surf's up,

Go for it guys!!!

For me, I was ready to make a change, I had an opportunity to work in south Asia for 14 months and I downsized my stuff before I left the good old US of A. i discovered that I actually enjoy living with less stuff....

I visited Thailand five times in 14 months, so I decided that this was the place for me... Before living in asia, I was planning on retiring to Mexico...

Yep. $1,000 US per month, no el problemo. And Stickman is THE GUY for everyday advise about iving in Thailand.

I spend about 25% on rent, 30% on "Recreation" and 45% other...... (food, groceries, books, newspapers, transportation...)

All the best guys!

Lance

Hey Sir Lance,

Do you mind sharing where in Thailand you hang your hat?

MJ

Hey MJ!

I live in central Bangkok, near the "Victory Monument" area. Easy to ride the "Sky Train" (elevated train), get a bus or walk to many places...

I live on the same floor the pool is located on, so I spend alot of time hanging out there.

All the best,

Lance

Hi:

Lance:

If I/we was to visit BKK for 1 - 5 months. Where would you recommend is a good place to stay? Monthly rates, furnished, inexpensive. Do they have a website? Average expected monthly outlay for accommodation? Hopefully you get the idea of my question.

SWR

SWR,
Get a popular guide book from your local library, and find two or three options to get you through the first week or so.

Once there, the many local tourist magazines have a ton of apart/hotels for longer term stay. Who knows, you may just some one with a great suggestion.

You may not want to stay in BKK? Then again you might. We tend to get out of BKK for Chiang Mai, but Lance has a great set up there, so it's just a matter of choice.

Good luck to you,
Billy
Web-site www.geocities.com/ba264

Hey SWR,

I live at VP Tower in central Bangkok. Web site http://www.vptower.com/

I pay about 11,500 THB per month (around
$288 per month us. They have a "hotel" on the 16 and 17th floors and you can rent by the week (or day I think)

I paid two months deposit and one month in advance, so it cost me about $900 US to move in. I also signed a four month contract, after that, renting month by month. There is a good mix of US and european expats living here along with Thais, Japanese and a few Indians. i love it here....

Long ago, one old Asia hand told me that one needed about 20,000 THB ($500) each month after paying "fixed" expenses, like rent, insurance, etc. I have found that to be true, so it gives you a rough idea of your monthly budget in Thailand.

All the best,

Lance

Hey SWR,

I live at VP Tower in central Bangkok. Web site http://www.vptower.com/

I pay about 11,500 THB per month (around
$288 per month us. They have a "hotel" on the 16 and 17th floors and you can rent by the week (or day I think)

I paid two months deposit and one month in advance, so it cost me about $900 US to move in. I also signed a four month contract, after that, renting month by month. There is a good mix of US and european expats living here along with Thais, Japanese and a few Indians. i love it here....

Long ago, one old Asia hand told me that one needed about 20,000 THB ($500) each month after paying "fixed" expenses, like rent, insurance, etc. I have found that to be true, so it gives you a rough idea of your monthly budget in Thailand.

All the best,

Lance

Lance,
Thanks for the budget percentage breakout.

SWR,
I agree with Billy.....I have spent time in Bankok and Chaing Mai and I would use Chaing Mai as my home base in Thailand....less crowded, less pollution, quieter.

You can (and I have) traveled in SE Asia for less than $1000 US per month per person....Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Indonesia. Indonesia makes Thailand look expensive....I averaged $300-$400 US per month in Indonesia (1999). Some of the worlds best waves too.

Go for it!

Surf

So, are you on a long term visa of some kind (student, retiree, etc.) or do you do the border visa run every 3 months? Have you become a Thai tax resident?

have spent time in Bankok and Chaing Mai and I would use Chaing Mai as my home base in Thailand.

I'm with you here. I'm much fonder of Northern Thailand, and would probably even consider a Chiang Rai or Mae Hong Son retirement.

I like trees.
;)

Hyperborea,

I have a one year retirement visa. I don't have to leave the country for visa runs-just report (my residence) to Thai Immigration every 90 days or 90 days from my last re-entry into Thailand. Lots of visa and other info at www.thaivisa.com

In a few days I'm off to Shanghai China. Like Willy, I can't wait to get back on the road again!

Lance in packing mode

Forgot...

No, i am not a "Thai tax resident" because I do not have any Thai income. I still pay US income taxes on interest, dividend and capital gains. I do pay the 7% Thai VAT on most purchases of goods and services-everyone pays that.

Back to packing!

Lance

What a great post!

But sometimes those companions you find can involve you in unusual situations.

Some years ago I was working in an Andean country known for its processing of agricultural products and its high murder rate. I met a lovely young woman from a nice family. Actually, a drop dead, outta sight, 10+ Sabrosita :) We went riding, dancing at the club, swimming. All very posh, at least for a river rat like me.

Alas, all good things come to an end. We had our sorrowful parting and I returned to big eastern city USA.

I got a few letters that were a bit stronger than I expected, but wrote back that I was very busy now and probably wouldn't be able to keep up much correspondence. Next thing I get a phone call from her cousin, I'll call him Ernesto, and he was that. I had no idea she had a cousin in the US. Ernesto thought that we should spend a day together. I took him up to Cape Ann, and we sat around on boulders talking about how great Andean Country was.

No, I told him, I didn't think I was ready for marriage at this time. Low paying job, no ambition, poor prospects, bad study habits.

For the next 3 months, my apartment got broken into at least once every couple of weeks. Nothing taken, but always my financial records strewn about, and nice little touches like a bolo knife across my bed. Oh yeah, some of my photos from the time in SA were stolen. Others ripped up and left.

I took to keeping a shotgun in my trunk of my old Chevrolet. I'd come home, drive around the block, and park. Then I'd take my shotgun and walk around my place. If no signs of illegal entry, I 'd carefully go in. If the door was broken in, I'd walk down to the sub shop on the corner, and call the police. I got to know the Roxbury detectives pretty well.

My landlord got tired of replacing doors and windows, as well as door jambs. So I got evicted. My girlfriend figured I was radioactive. So I put my stuff in storage and lived in my car for 6 weeks or so. Not easy to do.

Finally, I moved into a group home!!! I didn't mention my recent difficulty. And it turned out OK, because whatever weird motive was behind all this stuff, it stopped just as suddenly as it started.

I never really know what was happening, but I had a strong suspicion it had something to do with Ernesto.

Anyhow, these days I am older, and although no wiser, at least more circumspect and aware of cultural differences.

My Andean friends just laughed and said-"We told you to stick to hookers!"

Mikey

Haha, I, too, was once hooked (not hookered) by a hot Latin girl from a country known for its powder processing and export business. OH MY GOD, can this girl use every bit of her female wiles to keep you on the hook, and can she Salsa!

Save for that last bit of your story about having your house broken into, I wouldn't trade that kind of memory for anything else. You should have married her, bro.

Last edited:
Didn't see this super low cost PT approach mentioned so thought I'd post it.

This couple is cycling & camping around the world Bicycle Touring Around the World: cycle tourings best bike tour and travel travelogue story

They originally "settled on an annual budget of $15,000 or about $41 a day for . . . two"preparing and planning for a long bicycle tour

Their plan apparently started out being to save $105K and travel for as long as that money held out, beginning in 2002. Now, with the sales of their book and income generated by their web site (commissions on sales, advertising, donations, etc.) they are almost breaking even!
Latest News from www.DownTheRoad.org

Patient Investor

thanx buns for resurrecting this thread. hadn't seen it before. though the housing market has me pinned down for now, i'm still very interested in pt as a future lifestyle.

re:

Do the math, and you will find that this comes to under $23,000 expenses a year, and yes, this includes air transportation, health insurance, rented apartments with harbor views, New Zealand lamb and wines, Thai massages etc.

&

I live at VP Tower in central Bangkok. Web site http://www.vptower.com/...I pay about 11,500 THB per month (around
$288 per month us......Long ago, one old Asia hand told me that one needed about 20,000 THB ($500) each month after paying "fixed" expenses, like rent, insurance, etc. I have found that to be true, so it gives you a rough idea of your monthly budget in Thailand.

hoping current pters might comment as to current costs with particular view to the fall of the u.s. dollar working into overall inflation figures of both the u.s. & of host countries.

billy & akaisha's 2004 budget of $23k/year (wow! i love that!) comes to under $26k at 3% or $30k in 4 years compounded at 6% inflation.

lance's $11,500 baht which used to be us$288 is now us$364 before inflation, just based on rates of exchange (which i realize can go up or down so must be hard to figure into the future anyway). still, that is 6%/year by itself. ontop of that, the vptower website shows (for a three months stay) rates at $13,000 baht for a studio & $22,000 baht for an apartment with a kitchen. while i don't know which unit lance had for $11,500 baht. that's about a 3% host country inflation rate if it was a studio or a 17plus% inflation rate if it was an apartment.

and probably those rates are a lot scarier if i converted that to 2004 v 2008 us dollars.

i was sort of hoping to decrease my expenses and grow the nestegg over the next few years to get back some of my bubble losses. how well would a single guy pting on, say, $36k/year fare? could i reduce even further and still live fairly well? or should i just be shopping for a shack in tennessee?

Hey Lazy

Thing to bare in mind is that costs are rising everywhere; not just in Thailand! So it's all relative. The base cost is lower to live there, so even if costs are rising, it's still cheaper than in a more developed country.

It does depend on what you want. It's really not for everyone. If money is the motivating factor, I doubt it would work. If the PT lifestyle appeals, foreign language, new locales, different food, different entertainment, then the cost saving is just a bonus.

The VPTower website still have a basic studio at 11,500B for three month stays. The website hasn't been update for a couple of years - design is the same at least - so not sure if the prices are correct today. This a small room rental and real estate has shot up in price over the last handful of years.. It depends what you are used to. Most Americans seem to need everything to be BIG and so this wouldn't appeal for more than a few days. It really depends what your personal needs are and what that costs. Everyone's budget is different, this is why there's such a difference of opinion when someone posts a "How much to live in Thailand?" thread on Thaivisa.com msg boards!

Petey

billy & akaisha's 2004 budget of $23k/year (wow! i love that!) comes to under $26k at 3% or $30k in 4 years compounded at 6% inflation.

lance's $11,500 baht which used to be us$288 is now us$364 before inflation, just based on rates of exchange (which i realize can go up or down so must be hard to figure into the future anyway). still, that is 6%/year by itself. ontop of that, the vptower website shows (for a three months stay) rates at $13,000 baht for a studio & $22,000 baht for an apartment with a kitchen. while i don't know which unit lance had for $11,500 baht. that's about a 3% host country inflation rate if it was a studio or a 17plus% inflation rate if it was an apartment.

and probably those rates are a lot scarier if i converted that to 2004 v 2008 us dollars.

i was sort of hoping to decrease my expenses and grow the nestegg over the next few years to get back some of my bubble losses. how well would a single guy pting on, say, $36k/year fare? could i reduce even further and still live fairly well? or should i just be shopping for a shack in tennessee?

Back
Top Bottom