Join Early Retirement Today

Credit Card Bailout
Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Credit Card Bailout

If bailing out people who made bad decisions on houses is such a grand thing, why, wouldn't a bailout of those unable to pay off their CREDIT CARD balances be wonderful too?

What a campaign issue.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Who thought up that brilliant idea, Henry Paulson?

Old 12-08-2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Hmmm, the new serfdom ...

When 2012 arrives, and with it, the possible rise of a 3rd party (envisioning that both current parties would be out of favor for failing to prevent recession-depression & failing to restore the 'good times'), then ...

For 'A Modest Proposal,' suppose a credit-card bailout is offered, such that, 'you give us your vote and the votes of all your immediate family members from now on, and we'll wipe out your credit card debt forever.'

It make my blood run cold when I imagine how many 'just plain folks' would sell themselves and their decendents into political serfdom without a second thought.

Ah, but, 'it couldn't happen here ... never, never, never.'
Old 12-08-2007, 10:11 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

The only thing that would improve the 2008 election fever season is if we could have scheduled Hurricane Katrina for 2007 or even better, 2008 a few months before we re-elect these idiots.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:03 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd favor a credit card bailout for consumers over most of the pork for special interest business groups that passes today.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbarus View Post
If bailing out people who made bad decisions on houses is such a grand thing, why, wouldn't a bailout of those unable to pay off their CREDIT CARD balances be wonderful too?

What a campaign issue.
Since you used the analogy of having the credit card bailout be like the mortgage bailout, I assume you mean the credit card bailout would be a freeze on increasing the interest rates that credit card borrowers pay?

I'd be in favor of that.

Then, going forward, new legislation could force credit card companies to have much stricter requirements for obtaining a card, such as I hope happens with mortgages.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

For the analogy to hold, the freeze would have to be at a "teaser" rate and extend over, say, five years.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think Tyler Durden did just that in Fight Club. Although, you may find his plan a bit ambitious... maybe not...