Credit, Debit, or Cash

Our bank pays 4% on the first $25K in our checking account if we make at least 20 debit purchases a month, so yes, I whip that card out to meet that goal. Plus, I can see where our dollars are going without waiting for a CC statement.
You can see credit card charges on the banks app almost immediately. You can also get text messages and/or emails whenever there’s a charge if you set up notifications. No need to wait for statements.
You can also set up a cash management account at Fidelity and get better interest in a money market account without using a debit card. Get cash back with a credit card and pay the bill from your cash management account.

In my area of Connecticut many(most) gas stations charge 10 cents per gallon extra for using a credit card so this is more than my 2% cash back. I make it a point to use gas stations that do not charge the extra 10 cents but it getting harder to find these stations.
We try to take the car that needs gas whenever we visit Costco which is 20 miles from our home.

Last edited:
In my area of Connecticut many(most) gas stations charge 10 cents per gallon extra for using a credit card so this is more than my 2% cash back.

FWIW, there are cards that do better. The Costco Visa gives 4% on gas, and the PenFed card I use gives 5% cash back at gas stations.

Last edited:
In my area of Connecticut many(most) gas stations charge 10 cents per gallon extra for using a credit card so this is more than my 2% cash back. I make it a point to use gas stations that do not charge the extra 10 cents but it getting harder to find these stations.
We try to take the car that needs gas whenever we visit Costco which is 20 miles from our home.

Seems like this encouraging use of cash at gas stations would encourage gas station robberies.

Nobody robs a gas station for the credit card receipts :cool:

I can't think of any place but independent doctor/dentist offices that are charging for credit card use on the Island. I'm sure I'm missing places that do, but it's not very wide spread in my experience. YMMV

I can't think of any place but independent doctor/dentist offices that are charging for credit card use on the Island. I'm sure I'm missing places that do, but it's not very wide spread in my experience. YMMV

Around here’s it really just government. The water department, BMV, etc.

Even most local farm stands are cool with credit cards - most have tap to pay terminals (ApplePay).

Except for one sweet corn stand that is unattended and is strictly on the honor system :angel:

all over queens in new york city now , there are surcharges being added for credit card use by many restaurants and take out places …

where i work occasionally we add 3% for credit cards on electrical supplies

I have excellent insurance, with only $10 co-pay. For years, I just paid cash and occasionally check. One time my doctor's office said they found I owed a co-pay for a visit a year prior. It took a while for me to find my cash receipt (thank goodness I saved it!). From then on I used credit card for my co-pays, just for the ease of retrieving proof of payment. At least here in NJ they are not adding surcharge.

Back
Top Bottom