Dec 2012 CPI-U Release

audreyh1

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The CPI-U came in unchanged (0.0) for Dec 2012, so annual inflation was only 1.7% for the entire year, compared to 3% for 2011. This number includes food and energy prices.

The "core" CPI-U which excludes food and energy prices gained 0.1% in Dec, and increased 1.9% for 2012.

You can read the report here: Consumer Price Index Summary

For folks who like to track the real return of their investments, the following site is quite useful. They haven't updated for Dec 2012 yet, but they should shortly: InflationData.com's Cumulative Inflation Calculator

To get the cumulative inflation over several years or months, enter the month ahead of the period, and then the ending month of the period. For example, to get the cumulative inflation from 2000 though 2011, use Dec 1999 and Dec 2011.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. Real wages have finally increased. I wonder if it is sustainable.

Audrey thanks for the heads up.

It would be nice to see employment going up along with decently low inflation. I heard one commentary yesterday that employed workers are now getting more confident looking for another job opportunity. We need a little musical chairs going to get the employment juices flowing.
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/surveymost

Thanks! I have a column for each year's CPI-U in my retirement/financial spreadsheet so I was able to enter it there.

Back
Top Bottom