Delay pension for better Roth conversion?

stepford

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know this is the sort of topic that must have been bandied about in these forums many times over the years, but please have patience as I appear to be search-impaired.

I will retire (semi-voluntarily) in a couple of months at age 54. I can start taking my non-COLA'd Megacorp pension at age 55, but if I delay starting the pension the monthly payout will increase around 5.7%/year (but then remain constant once I start). I had been assuming that the break even point was far enough in the future that I would start immediately on my 55th birthday, but I realize now that I hadn't been considering the potential tax advantages of delaying it for a few years.

My income source in retirement is about $900K about equally split between tax free muni bonds and stock mutual funds. I also have tIRA/401K assets of a bit over $1M and would like to convert as much as possible to a Roth without incurring excessive tax. If I don't take the pension my taxable income will be low enough that I can do significant Roth conversions in the 15% bracket while once I take the pension I'll be bumped up at least into the 25% bracket. My projected expenses in retirement are low enough so that, whenever I start my pension, it plus the income from my taxable portfolio will cover everything. However, if I delay the pension I will have to cut into my taxable principle by $25-30K/yr.

So my question is whether to delay the start of my pension and, if so, for how long.

I realize the answer is to do a detailed model of my income, tax and assets over time and determine the optimum strategy - and I intend to do this. I was just wondering if there is some standard received wisdom on this topic (i.e. always better to take the pension sooner, or....).

Any advice welcome.

The detailed calc is pretty much required. The 5.7% bump per year is pretty nice, and I think that will make it quite reasonable to delay. My DW's pension increases by 3%, so there's not much value in delaying. In our case, taking the pension at 55, which only covers about 15% of our expenses, was our optimum strategy. We'll still do the Roth conversions, up to the point where the 25% tax rate runs into additional tax bumps or the AMT. That will avoid taxes of 25% or more after age 70.5 when RMD's kick in. In our case, the pension fills in some of our living expenses and actually allows us to Roth convert a little longer. We'll run out of taxable funds before we can convert everything.

If your pension is larger, has the nice 5.7% growth when delayed, and you already have sufficient taxable funds to convert all you can, then you may indeed want to delay.

Back
Top Bottom