dinner out with friends - paying the bill?

LOL, the other option is Irish Coffee. :ROFLMAO:

Done that! DW just loves Bailey's Irish Creme. At the Irish Mill in the NW suburbs one evening a few years ago, the bartender served her three cups of Irish Coffee that were 50% Bailey's to cap off the evening and she slept all the way home.......... I guess the alcohol trumped the caffine! :LOL:

Done that! DW just loves Bailey's Irish Creme. At the Irish Mill in the NW suburbs one evening a few years ago, the bartender served her three cups of Irish Coffee that were 50% Bailey's to cap off the evening and she slept all the way home.......... I guess the alcohol trumped the caffine! :LOL:
Your DW would get along well with my dear cat, "Fluffy."

Attachments

• IMG_4465.jpg
    IMG_4465.jpg
    430.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4466.jpg
    IMG_4466.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 0
With good friends (and these days, that's pretty much all we dine out with, and we don't do it often) we just split the check equally. We also tend to more or less equally enjoy the same number of courses (e.g. we'll share appetizers, and usually we'll all have wine, and usually most people at the table get dessert and coffee).

I never liked the whole "ok here's my share based on what I ordered" thing that people pulled all the time in college. Invariably, people would forget about tax ... and oh yeah, the tip. And some poor shmuck gets stuck collecting all the money and trying to keep track of everything. For what -- chump change, really.

Get separate checks if you must, that's between you and the restaurant.

Same here. Years ago, DH and I went on a weekend trip with a couple who took the "divide the check" thing to the absurd. We ordered an appetizer for the table and I noted that they were actually counting the number of pieces each of us ate. Then, when we ordered entrees, she was making notes of prices on a pad on her lap. When the bill came and DH suggested that we either divide the check in half or pick up this check and they handle the next night's dinner check, she whipped out her "notes" and insisted that we divide the bill -- to the penny.

DH was not amused, but didn't object. He noticed that the other couple didn't leave ANY tip so he quietly left more than enough to make up for it. As we were leaving the restaurant, she went back to the table; we thought she forgot something. No. She returned with the tip in hand...claiming that the service was "awful", she said that we shouldn't leave any tip. The service was excellent, BTW. I thought DH was gonna deck her! They got into a huge argument in the lobby of the restaurant. The rest of the weekend was not pleasant and we stopped seeing these people shortly after.

What we have found is that most places will do separate checks... even high end restaurants.

The waiter/ess usually asks, if not I ask up front if they can provide separate checks.

If not, then we go with the flow. We have done most options.

Spliting the bill evenly is OK for two couples (depending on the couples of course) but if you have six or more people, do yourselves a favor and just get separate checks. Maybe you don't realize that restaurants just love it when six or more people order drinks and all that and put it on one bill. An easy way for them to pad it with extras or put the entree prices a buck higher. When you get one big tab, no body audits it. You accept it as gospel and throw in your credit cards. Also, got caught a couple times with six people on this one: menu fine print states that 18% gratuity will be assessed for six or more people. Then in that jumbled up check for all six you don't see the 18% and add another tip anyway. I caught this a couple times and now always ask for separate checks. Easier to audit and you don't have to worry about someone else spending more than their fair share or you doing the same. I used to feel cheap for asking for separate checks. No more. Everyone seems happy to go along.

I am the same way. I figure anyone who plans retirement funding and keeps close track of expenses is dropping the ball not to pay close attention to what he is paying for on a restaurant bill. If I drink a mixed drink, I want to see it poured, and I want the booze mixed with ice and nothing else. A few times I have suggested that the bartender keep pouring if he lets up too soon. If he does it right he always gets a dollar per drink, right on the spot. If he doesn't, next time I am drinking pure club soda. I usually have one when we first get to a club, then only Perrier or club soda. My date can drink all she wants, as I am the driver.

For the most part servers in this city are pretty honest, unlike for example the crooks in NYC clubs.

None of my friends are well off so we all tend to pay for our own, or for a woman's and ours. I usually go to dance places where I can sit at the bar, or walk to the bar and get my opwn. They are too crowded for a waitress to take care of everyone anyway.

Overall, I am not crazy about restaurant meals. It is likely a budget item where I deviate downward from many people on the forum.

Ha

There are VERY few restaurants around here that won't do separate checks....so that's the norm for us. There are a few cases where we go out for dinner with friends fairly regularly, and we all just take turns paying.

A friend of mine from Chicago came down a few weeks ago, and I'd cyphered out that it was her turn to buy this time. So we head out to dinner at a nice joint.....and me being [-]a cheap-skate[/-] thrifty, we went in time for the 'early-bird' specials.

After dinner the waitress brings the bill to the table, and I aim it toward my friend, who says "Oh noooooo! It's YOUR turn. Remember, I came to town last month and we did breakfast...and I bought...remember??"

Dang!!! I forgot! She'd bought breakfast at the greasy-spoon, and I have to buy dinner at this swanky joint! Foiled again! Next time it's gonna be prime-rib, doggone it!!! :LOL:

is the greasy spoon an actual name of a restautant? for some reason, i remember someone taking me there for breakfast years ago....right next to a futon store....

I definitely prefer separate checks. It avoids trying to divvy up a long bill, or it worrying about "reasonably equal" meals, or remembering who paid last time. OTOH, my wife has been known to split an entree and a desert with a friend ... then you're kind of stuck.

Back
Top Bottom