Spousal SS Benefit Timing

Route246

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm 67 next month and have not filed for SS, max paid in SS more than 35 years, benefit $4881 at age 70, $3886 if I file next month at 67. We are not relying on SS for retirement as savings and RMD at 70 will cover our expenses. I already searched these forums but could not find anything that matches our situation, although I could have missed it, apologies in advance.

My wife has insufficient work contribution to qualify for SS so she will use spousal benefit. SS website shows $1784 if she starts today at 66 and $1889 if she waits to age 70 as is/was my intention (we are 1/2 year apart, I am older). The penalty is our benefit is only reduced $1005.

Me: $4881 at 70, $3886 at age 67 (now)
Her: $1889 at 70, $1784 at age 66 (now)

Us: $6770 at age 70, $5670 at age 70 (deferring 3 years)

$5670x36 months is $204,120 (3 year deferral).

Linearly (no time value of money and excluding tax consequences, I'm still working) this looks like a 17 year break even.

These numbers are approximate but is there something wrong with my logic? Logic tells me that both of us file ASAP and start collecting and not wait until I turn 70. Even if these numbers are a little off. Again, we don't need this SS money to live. We would probably just collect it and shove it into SPY-like fund or ETF, set it and forget it.

Me, being cheap is asking this wonderful forum for free advisement and information, especially if there is a huge flaw in my logic and thinking before I sit down with our CPA and start that hourly clock for our yearly retainer billing. I just don't want to present this to our CPA until it gets vetted here. Thank you in advance.

Entering you numbers here: https://opensocialsecurity.com/, I get the following recommendation.
>You file for your retirement benefit to begin 3/2024, at age 67 and 0 months.
>Your spouse files for his/her spousal benefit to begin 3/2024, at age 66 and 6 months.

Yes the spousal benefit is capped at 50% of the spouse's benefit. Your spouse will not accrue any delayed benefits by waiting after her FRA...in a case like yours I'd probably just both collect at your FRA.

Of course, the survivor benefit should also be one of the considerations.

Thank you for the opensocialsecurity link. I think her PIA is 0 if I read correctly. That shows the following indicating that I should file in 12/24 when my payment jumps to to $4202 (from $3886). So I think it is showing I should wait through 2024. Thank you again.

Year Your Annual Retirement Benefit Your Annual Spousal Benefit Your Annual Survivor Benefit Your Spouse's Annual Retirement Benefit Your Spouse's Annual Spousal Benefit Your Spouse's Annual Survivor Benefit Total
2024 $4,301 $0 $0 $0 $1,943 $0 $6,244
2025 $51,606 $0 $0 $0 $23,316 $0 $74,922
2026 $51,606 $0 $0 $0 $23,316 $0 $74,922
2027 $51,606 $0 $0 $0 $23,316 $0 $74,922
2028 $51,606 $0 $0 $0 $23,316 $0 $74,922
2029 and beyond $51,606 $0 $0 $0 $23,316 $0 $74,922

Entering you numbers here: https://opensocialsecurity.com/, I get the following recommendation.
>You file for your retirement benefit to begin 3/2024, at age 67 and 0 months.
>Your spouse files for his/her spousal benefit to begin 3/2024, at age 66 and 6 months.

Check the graph at the end of the Opensocialsecurity.com result under Test an alternative claiming strategy

You'll find that there are a lot of combinations that result in very little lifetime change to your benefits.

Thank you for the opensocialsecurity link. I think her PIA is 0 if I read correctly. ...

Yes, if she has no work record or less than 40 quarters of contributions then her PIA or primary insurance amount would be $0

We match your situation but I'm two years younger. I am waiting for 70. DW just felt like filing at 62 so her spousal benefit will be about 33% instead of 50%, but she will have had 8 years of payments and we are not in need of the difference.

We match your situation but I'm two years younger. I am waiting for 70. DW just felt like filing at 62 so her spousal benefit will be about 33% instead of 50%, but she will have had 8 years of payments and we are not in need of the difference.

We thought about doing a 62/70 but decided to use the "space" for Roth conversions. Vis-a-vis having the higher income earner having the higher amount - this gives the survivor (most likely DH) an additional income stream that he does not have to manage.

My wife has insufficient work contribution to qualify for SS so she will use spousal benefit. SS website shows $1784 if she starts today at 66 and $1889 if she waits to age 70 as is/was my intention (we are 1/2 year apart, I am older). The penalty is our benefit is only reduced $1005.

Me: $4881 at 70, $3886 at age 67 (now)
Her: $1889 at 70, $1784 at age 66 (now)

Why wouldn't her benefit at age 70 be $2440?

Because she's eligible for half his PIA and not half his age 70 benefit (delaying past his full retirement age doesn't increase the spousal benefit).

Ah...so a spouse with no credits should never wait until age 70?

Ah...so a spouse with no credits should never wait until age 70?

Yes. However a spouse without their own benefit can't collect anything until their spouse starts collecting benefits, so if they were a lot older than their spouse who is eligible for benefits then they might well be 70 before they can collect.

For example the spouse without benefits is 8 years older than the spouse with benefits so even if the spouse with benefits claims as soon as possible at 62 the spouse would be 70.

Max spousal benefit is half of spouse PIA benefits, assuming (she) reaches FRA. (She) loses by waiting until 70.

Thanks for verifying - this is reason I'm waiting until FRA age 67 - to get the full effect of boosting DW's spousal benefit. Otherwise would jump in at age 62 to get more years of (lower) benefit as I'm not too keen on betting with longevity.

Yes. However a spouse without their own benefit can't collect anything until their spouse starts collecting benefits, so if they were a lot older than their spouse who is eligible for benefits then they might well be 70 before they can collect.

For example the spouse without benefits is 8 years older than the spouse with benefits so even if the spouse with benefits claims as soon as possible at 62 the spouse would be 70.

Got it. So this means for a couple with one person having no credits, both close to same age, it would almost always be better to both start at FRA, because otherwise the couple is giving up 3 years of half benefits. It would take A LONG time to make that up if the main earner waited until 70 to collect.

The OP's FRA was Sept 2023..guessing it was around $36xx...so wife's spousal at her FRA (which is real soon) would be around $18xx. She will getting a little more every month for her spousal benefit v her own.

Got it. So this means for a couple with one person having no credits, both close to same age, it would almost always be better to both start at FRA, because otherwise the couple is giving up 3 years of half benefits. It would take A LONG time to make that up if the main earner waited until 70 to collect.

I think so but go to opensocialsecurity.com and put in your birthdates to verify. Also, check the little box at the top and and change the mortality to the 2017 CSO mortality as I think those mortality tables are more realistic than the default 2020 SS Period Life Tables.

Perfect summation. Thank you very much. I think I'm going to file immediately.

Back
Top Bottom