Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBob View Post
I thought I heard a pssst coming on... What's up with that?
Have you ever heard the cliche - so ugly only a Mother could love--- or something along those lines.

With the ticking of the clock(I'm not getting any younger) even a lefthanded, INTJ, slightly anal en ga neer gets tired of tracking dividends invested at three, .000, decimal places and taking two file cabinets(peaked at 44 stocks) every hurricane evacuation.

I'm trying to kick the habit and not be so cheap - have a Vanguard broker and actually pay commisions when I buy or sell.

Oh the sin of convenience!

heh heh heh - It's been fun(except when it wasn't) since 1989. Still have 12-13 to kill and transfer to broker.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Still have 12-13 to kill and transfer to broker.
I bet you are lovin the 0% LTCG now in effect. I have some stock I purchased in the early 70s that I considered donating cuz I didn't want to have to calculate the gain (with DRIPs and all). Now I think I will just have a party with it instead.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:39 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Human nature being what it is, many of us choose to go with more than one fund in the uncertain hope of hedging our bets. To my way of thinking, more than 6 or so is probably overkill.
There is the small-but-not-zero possibility of fraud, embezzlement, gross mismanagement, etc; at any one institution. One form of hedging would be to keep accounts at perhaps 3 or 4 institutions.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
There is the small-but-not-zero possibility of fraud, embezzlement, gross mismanagement, etc; at any one institution. One form of hedging would be to keep accounts at perhaps 3 or 4 institutions.
I go with two institutions, to keep 'em honest.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I go with two institutions, to keep 'em honest.
Ford and Chevy? aka - Vanguard and Fidelity?

Couldn't resist!

heh heh heh -
Old 01-17-2008, 03:09 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

For convienence's sake I have 99% of stocks and mutual funds at Fidelity (one outlier mutual fund at TRowe which I would love to consolidate to Fidelity, but it actually returned 14% last year and I don't want to pay the cap gains tax to sell and don't want to transfer because it's not a "no-fee" fund at fidelity). Other than that I use GMAC for Demand Notes for cash. Returning 5.75% right now, not bad
Old 01-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Ford and Chevy? aka - Vanguard and Fidelity?

Couldn't resist!

heh heh heh -
No, because I do not live in the US.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:03 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Orchidflower:

WRT diversification and 'not putting too many eggs in one basket', it is standard practice to limit investment in any individual stock to a maximum of 5%. That way your risk of loss due to the failure of an individual company is limited (think Enron)

One 'exception' to the 5% rule that I've heard sometimes is if it is stock in the company you work for, you could allow 10% max instead of 5%.

A mutual fund, by definition is said to be non-diversified if it has less than 20 stocks in it's portfolio (or maybe it's 5% max in any one stock). Nearly all mutual funds strive to be diversified.

Putting all your money into a singe mutual fund like an S&P 500 index fund is not a problem (as far as the 5% rule) because it is composed of 500 individual companies. The issue is that they are all large-cap companies, so many folks would prefer a TOTAL Stock Market Fund which I think is 5000 companies so it includes some small and mid-size companies.

So most people IMO use at least a few mutual funds in order to achieve an asset allocation (stocks/bonds/cash) they are comfortable with. Probably the closest thing to a single fund solution is a 'target retirement' fund and many folks around here probably wanna tweek that too!
Old 01-23-2008, 04:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
WRT diversification and 'not putting too many eggs in one basket', it is standard practice to limit investment in any individual stock to a maximum of 5%. That way your risk of loss due to the failure of an individual company is limited (think Enron)
Personally I don't think much of such intellectual shortcuts rules of thumb. As with almost everything else in life, there are many factors to consider and "it depends".

There are many tiny companies that I would be loath to invest 5% of my portfolio in. On the other hand, there are some large companies, internally diversified across multiple industries and geographies, that I would be quite comfortable investing 10% in (e.g., GE or Berkshire Hathaway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
One 'exception' to the 5% rule that I've heard sometimes is if it is stock in the company you work for, you could allow 10% max instead of 5%.
I would argue the opposite: if you work at company X, you are already exposed to its future success / failure, and have no need to compound that exposure by investing in its stock. An exception could certainly be made for those high enough in management to have inside information about the companies' prospects (although such executives are typically subject to trading restrictions).
Old 01-23-2008, 08:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Personally I don't think much of such intellectual shortcuts rules of thumb. As with almost everything else in life, there are many factors to consider and "it depends".

There are many tiny companies that I would be loath to invest 5% of my portfolio in. On the other hand, there are some large companies, internally diversified across multiple industries and geographies, that I would be quite comfortable investing 10% in (e.g., GE or Berkshire Hathaway).

I would argue the opposite: if you work at company X, you are already exposed to its future success / failure, and have no need to compound that exposure by investing in its stock. An exception could certainly be made for those high enough in management to have inside information about the companies' prospects (although such executives are typically subject to trading restrictions).

No argument here on either of your points, but don't believe they address OP's question very well. BH is often considered a diversified mutual fund within itself....same for GE.

As for investing in your employer's stock, my take is more that it's a matter of receiving options and/or match in company stock, etc as well as being.