Dividend ideas?

wildcat said:
...a lot of our returns going forward could come from good old dividends.

A lot of our historical returns came from dividends...not real recently, but you go back prior to a few decades and dividends were a large piece of it...

Hi Wildcat and CalGal,

Here are the hi div equities that own or follow:

MARPS
TMA
SPH
CRT
FR

No recommendations here. These can be risky although I will say MARPS has been paying me super divvies on and off for years as I've moved in and out .

BUM

Vanguard Wellesley has been discussed quite a bit in this tread.  I have a question about it. I am considering moving some money there that is currently in V money market.  This is IRA money I would start to draw on in 3 years.  (Recently retired but currently using after-tax money for living expenses). 

I was under the impression that one reason Wellesley did well relative to stock indexes during the 2000-2002 bear market was that bond NAV's increased because interest rates were on the decline for much of that time period.  If this is true, would the opposite be true today while rates increase?  Is it advisable to avoid investing in Wellesley until the fed gets done raising interest rates, intermediate to long-term bond yields increase, and bond valuations have dropped down some? 

wildcat said:
.  Quick question on the idea of REIT dividends, how are they treated in tax deferred accounts?  I assume they are protected but I could be wrong.
Wildcat
The dividends received in a tax deferred account are fully tax deferred and therefore taxed only on withdrawal. It is tax advantaged to keep reit holdings in a tax deferred account.

Return questions-- On Canadian royalty trusts is there a Canadian government withholding on US Citizen's accounts? How would that be handled in a US tax deferred account such as an IRA? Anyone have to deal with this situation?

Uncledrz

The dividends received in a tax deferred account are fully tax deferred and therefore taxed only on withdrawal. It is tax advantaged to keep reit holdings in a tax deferred account.

Thanks uncledrz

Back
Top Bottom