Do you keep your investments in one place or spread them out?

I use 2 banks and 3 brokers.

You don't have to have everything at one brokerage to do this. Any brokerage worth it's salt will have a function where it totals your assets at other locations automatically, once you set it up.

OK but not sure available in Canada. Bank accounts too?

I prefer having it in as few places as possible. My retirement is with Schwab and I have a checking and HSA at local institutions.

cd :O)

I have them at a few places. My attempt to consolidate everything at Vanguard failed thanks to Vanguard. Now my husband's money is with his 401k, mine is with Vanguard, I have a trading account with Scottrade, going to open a solo401k and HSA account with TDameritrade.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
My retirement accounts are with one broker and I have 3 bank accounts. At some point, I may close one CU account, but will keep the other CU and national bank. I found it easier to keep track of investments with one broker.

I have a few legacy accounts that my Dad set up for me years ago. I should consolidate them since neither has a large balance, but I think I keep them more for emotional reasons. They're money market accts and don't have a lot of activity, so it's not a big paper problem.

The rest of my investments are spread out among Vanguard, my work 401{k) administratior, a bank for some CDs and my IRA at a different institution. I'll eventually consolidate them more, but I like the idea of having at least three different institutions.

For Stocks I had it all at 1 place.
They got hacked, which is not good but understandable, however since they didn't tell me for 1 year, so my password didn't get changed (it's really long), I could have been at risk.
Therefore, I moved a few accounts out from them.
The first move of a big account, they called and asked why, so I told them "Because they didn't tell me, I don't want all my eggs in 1 basket".
They didn't call for the second move of another large account.

Why did you buy FSENX in the first place? I doubt the reason you have it in your portfolio has changed.

FSENX is in my rollover ROTH account and was under performing but today I made back a little of what I lost. It's in the ROTH for future retirement needs so I think I'll just hang on to it.

Last edited:
I have 4 institutions plus 2 others in another country. I consolidate once a month, and can log into any one of them from instantaneous values/trades. As my tradings days are mostly over, this is not the burden it used to be as all my trading is in one of them.

DW and I have discussed this and agree that the spread across institutions is worth the trouble.

All retirement accounts at Fidelity except DW's TSP. Local credit union for checking account and small savings.

Back
Top Bottom