Do you perceive an inflation generation gap?

Also, 3.24% inflation over 10 years is 39.0085%.... but really, when you are talking about 39% or 38%, one could skip the math and describe it as a whole %^(*& lot of inflation. :)
Especially without raises and/or COLAs, as has been increasingly the case for households over the last few years.

Especially without raises and/or COLAs, as has been increasingly the case for households over the last few years.

Not to mention substitution of lesser products when declaring the annual inflation percentage. I can't think of an example right now.

Aw, people! Did we not used to do this?

images

But if we did not retire, then perhaps we might, just might still be able to do dis?

tex-math-4.gif

and then dis?

images

without getting like dis? :crazy:

Last edited:
I calculate that after 10 iterations, you'd have 59.874 cents (0.95 ** 10, or 0.95 ^ 10 as the kids say these days ;)).

However, if inflation is defined as an increase in prices, then the corollary of 5% inflation is that after a year, $1 is worth not $0.95, but ($1 / 1.05) = 95.258 cents. Compound that nine further times (10 in total) and you end up with (0.95258 ** 10) = 61.391 cents.

You can check that by calculating (1.05 ** 10) = 1.62889 (that is, $1 invested at 5% compound with no deductions would give you $1.62889 after 10 years), and divide that into 1 => 1.0/1.62889 = 0.61391.
Dammit, I should've known the board was big enough now to include one of you guys. I shoulda stopped at the Rule of 72.

I guess we're lucky that we're only talking a decade of annual inflation and not a century of quarterly inflation.

Dammit, I should've known the board was big enough now to include one of you guys. I shoulda stopped at the Rule of 72.

I guess we're lucky that we're only talking a decade of annual inflation and not a century of quarterly inflation.
A century of quarterly inflation @ 1/2% per quarter = 'a mere' 635%.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom