Join Early Retirement Today

Does Roth 401k Make Sense the last few months of work?
Old 12-08-2019, 01:12 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hello All,

DH is retiring the end of the year, and will have a pension and annuity income, and 401k access. I have a 401k through my job, taxable accounts, and a small Roth IRA.

I was going to retire in August but a family situation has moved that up to the spring. The most I am anticipated to work in 2020 will be four months.

So the question is, does it made sense for me to contribute to the Roth 401k the last few months of work? After I retire (or when I turn 59 1/2 this February) I can roll funds from my 401k into an IRA. The majority of the funds are taxable, but there are Roth funds 401k in there as well. My work 401k is no bargain expense wise, and I had intended no matter what to roll out the Roth 401k into a Roth IRA to save expenses.

I do want to make Roth conversions over the next few years to minimize the RMD "tax bomb".

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If what you would contribute to the Roth 401k is less than the Roth contribution limit for 2020, then I would skip the Roth 401kand just make contributions to the Roth. More flexibility because you have all year to do it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #3

My last year was a partial year and I increased the monthly paycheck deductions in order to contribute the yearly maximums to my 403(b) and 457 accounts. I wanted to sock away as much as possible, not to stop contributions. I also contributed the annual maximum to a separate (non-employer) Roth IRA. That was a pretty expensive year with respect to retirement saving but Iím glad I did it.

It makes sense to choose between the 401(k) and IRA based on your circumstances.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #4

If your employer matches, then I'd say do it. It's free money.
mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #5

Thank you.

No employer match. If I last four months, should be able to max.
Old 12-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #6

If you have a t401k your plan might not let you withdraw from just the Roth 401k, instead they might force proportional withdrawals, which is more confusing come tax time. IMO the added complexity is not worth it for just 4 months worth of contributions.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
If you have a t401k your plan might not let you withdraw from just the Roth 401k, instead they might force proportional withdrawals, which is more confusing come tax time. IMO the added complexity is not worth it for just 4 months worth of contributions.
I contributed to both t401k and Roth401k. Upon retirement I moved the accounts to Fidelity. No tax liability. I now have Roth and tIRA. I plan to convert the Roth to reduce RMDs.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I don't know if they force proportional withdrawals. I didn't see anything regarding that in the plan information, but I will look out for that. You are permitted to make in service withdrawals even if you are still employed once you hit 59 1/2. Four months worth of contributions would be front loaded and with catch-up $26,000.