Does Your Broccoli Taste Better?

I think the food tastes worse than it did 10-20 years ago. This is especially the case with fruits and veggies. I attribute it to genetic engineering. Companies want to improve their profits and they focus on foods that are resistant to bugs and disease.

Take strawberries for example. Over the last 5 years, they've been getting bigger and bigger, with a very consistent red color. But the taste doesn't match what I recall from 10-20 years ago, or locally grown organics. Same for oranges and apple

I think your taste buds change with age. Nothing
tastes as good to me at 70 as it did at 16.

Cheers,

Charlie

Chuck-Lyn:

I don't think it is taste buds. I think it is "shipable" produce. We grow heirloom tomatoes that almost are as good as when I was a child. We stayed in San Diego a few years back and ate a diet of fruit. I think maybe it was grown in Mexico and not the "shipable" varieties that were grown in California. We kept going back and buying more.

I thought this article is about the possible inaccuracy of CPI as an indicator of inflation. The CPI tends to underestimate inflation level.

What is releveance to the taste of fruits?

Heres the problem as I see it

next to the bed there is a base model am/fm/single cd player that cost $100 some years ago

it breaks

I by a new base model am/fm/6 cd/digital clock/drink mixer/etc for $150

No inflation due to new features, but I'm out $50 extra for what is still a base model.

I thought this article is about the possible inaccuracy of CPI as an indicator of inflation. The CPI tends to underestimate inflation level.

What is releveance to the taste of fruits?

I wondered if anyone would notice that there have been some very literal interpretations of the thread. Oh well, live and learn! :)

Mikey

Back
Top Bottom