Retiring on a cruise ship

I hate the nickel and diming on cruise ships. We have taken two so far. I prefer all-inclusive resorts in a vibrant town.

If there was such a thing as real not selective all-inclusive cruises say with 3 or 4 excursions included. We would probably go more. When I say Real I mean NOTHING extra to pay. Living on a cruise ship would be a nightmare for us.

I do not want to be bothered with tipping daily or specialty restaurants etc. I want it all inclusive and would be happy to pay whatever it costs. But no, you can select a drinks package, but it does not include this or that and extra tipping is expected for in room service and a multitude of other things and ending up with an unexpected payment at the end of the cruise.

Till then, we will stick to luxury resorts that probably end up costing us more than cruises, but I do not care about that.

I prefer the selective choice, pick what you want and include that in the cost. Otherwise I'm paying for other peoples booze when DW doesn't drink, and I drink maybe 1 per meal.

Our recent Viking Ocean, I had to literally chase the service person to the door to shove a couple of bucks in their hand, there was zero expectation of a tip from them, not even a little lingering around.

The specialty restaurants are included "free" no tipping at all.

There was the end of cruise ~$16/day/pp tip, but that is expected and known and I just consider part of the total cost.

So you don't tip the room service person/maid/etc at all at a luxury resort ?

I hate the nickel and diming on cruise ships. We have taken two so far. I prefer all-inclusive resorts in a vibrant town.

If there was such a thing as real not selective all-inclusive cruises say with 3 or 4 excursions included. We would probably go more. When I say Real I mean NOTHING extra to pay. Living on a cruise ship would be a nightmare for us.

I do not want to be bothered with tipping daily or specialty restaurants etc. I want it all inclusive and would be happy to pay whatever it costs. But no, you can select a drinks package, but it does not include this or that and extra tipping is expected for in room service and a multitude of other things and ending up with an unexpected payment at the end of the cruise.

Till then, we will stick to luxury resorts that probably end up costing us more than cruises, but I do not care about that.

A Viking River cruise for me came close to that ideal.

You could prepay tips, and everything else was included except if you wanted upgraded excursions. The upgraded excursions were clearly priced, totally optional, you could just sign up through the website while on board, and no additional tips or fees or anything were expected.

I'm not a drinker, but I think the basic cruise included some nice wine and beers. There was a drink package and some people bought fancy drinks at the bar some evenings.

The only time we would consider living on a cruise ship would be if the only choice we had was a care home or a cruise ship.

Is that really a choice? If you needed the services of a "care home" could you find a cruise ship that would provide those kind of services? Or are you talking about taking an attendant along with you and paying their salary + their fare?

We cruised once.
To many entitled, self indulgent souls.
Never again.

There is a huge difference between some of the people we meet on a cruise and those we meet on extended land trips.

The conversations are very different.

Just one of the reasons why, when we do cruises, we never select fixed dining/fixed table. Always open seating.

Last edited:
We really love cruising as the logistics are taken care of, we can prepay all costs (I would consider all our cruises on HAL, NCL, RCCL to be all inclusive for us once we board), we never have to repack, and we see multiple countries on our short vacation allocation from work. We never take cruise excursions and usually head out on our own on local buses/ trains/ taxis. The economics are hard to beat for what you get (but you ain't getting anything for less than $100-200 per night all told after all fees/gratuities for 2 people). And yes, you have to find your space and your people....no different than on a train or at the office or among your neighbors. Timing and itinerary and cruise length can make a HUGE difference on the experience and people on board. We now have good friends in multiple countries around the world that we chat/ zoom with multiple times a year if not meeting up on a cruise. To me the real downside is you will hardly ever see anything over 200 miles from the coast of any country, and you only get a bare whiff of the sense of a place on an 8-hour stop. I view our cruises as previews for where to stop and spend a few weeks/ months upon retirement.

Cruise line medical services are expensive and not comprehensive so perhaps could replace an independent living community but won't do it for replacing assisted living/ long-term care facilities.

Last edited:
I can’t even imagine taking a repositioning cruise across the Atlantic.

Having crossed most of the Pacific by ship twice as a child I remember a lot of mindless boredom.

Life in prison would be better than a never-ending cruise.

The penitentiary would certainly have a higher class of humans on the premises.

I've served time in prison. You clearly never have or you would not have made your comment. I'll happily take the worst third world country cruise for a lifetime before another day in lockup.

I can’t even imagine taking a repositioning cruise across the Atlantic.

Having crossed most of the Pacific by ship twice as a child I remember a lot of mindless boredom.

I found it fine, for about 5 days, which is roughly how long it takes, but some cruises, not even repositioning ones, have longer times at sea.

We decided not to take one as it had three segments with about 7 sea days each

If they route well, repositioning in the Atlantic can be great (and incredibly cheap) with no more than 2 consecutive sea days in a row. Did one this last year from Amsterdam - Iceland - Greenland - Newfoundland (Canada) - Nova Scotia (Canada) - NYC. More than a few lines take the lazy and direct approach and just go straight across, with no stops other than Bermuda (if that), which would be boring to me. There are also some good repositioning from South America (Buenos Aires / Rio de Janiero) that go up that entire coast, over to Cabo Verde Islands, Canary Islands, and end in Europe with no more than 3 consecutive sea days. Pacific is a little worse because nothing much out there, unless they reposition via Alaska into Asia.

Last edited:
We like cruising but this would not suit us. It is also way too risky, if something went wrong with the company or the ship.

Retire on a cruise ship? I am afraid my health would really suffer.

My wife and I have done 8 cruises over the years and I wouldn't mind doing one every once and a while.

I have seen the long 30-60 day cruises and am tempted to try it someday, but I think it may be best to do that with a group of people you enjoy.

Is too much of anything really that good?

Man, what I wouldn't give for a week or two of mindless boredom! I've never been bored for even one hour of my 72 years....it would be such a welcome change.

In addition to the practical problems, this does not appeal to me as a long term life style.

No one who has replied yet seemed to have been on a long cruise...

DW and I did a World Cruise a few years ago...137 days on Regent Seven Seas, which is an All Inclusive cruise line. All meals, drinks, laundry, medical, gratuities, and MOST excursions were already included. It was not cheap, but it was a tremendous experience.

We left Los Angles on January 8th, and headed left (west) until we got back there to LA on May 25th. We were in tears when we returned to the USA...proud to be back home, and sad that we had to say goodbye to so many friends. The ship only held 500 passengers, and of that, only 200 did the whole 4.5 months.

There were some people that stayed on the ship even longer...and you get special status the more nights you travel. It is not for everyone, but it can be a tremendous way to see the world and get a taste of different countries and cultures...which helps you appreciate your own life so much more.

DW and I did a World Cruise a few years ago...137 days on Regent Seven Seas, which is an All Inclusive cruise line. All meals, drinks, laundry, medical, gratuities, and MOST excursions were already included. It was not cheap, but it was a tremendous experience.

I've wondered about super long cruises. The longest we did was back to back on the same ship and it was only 32 days.

It felt like home near the end, and was strange to leave it.

It was Carnival Horizon, and other folks also did the back to back as it made so much sense.

I've wondered about super long cruises. The longest we did was back to back on the same ship and it was only 32 days.
Our longest is of similar length and agree it did start to feel like home.

Of course there are less agreeable people, but we have the ability to work around them with relative ease. Early in the cruise we make an effort to connect with agreeable types, and we usually end-up with a routine that includes solo, pair, and group activities.

I'm not a picky eater, but the kitchen tends to be a sore spot with me on the longer cruises, especially if the cruise line is trying to eek out a profit on a lower revenue route. But they seem to be getting better at basic alternatives that are always on the menu (steak and baked potato, for instance). But if I were going to design a cabin for a permanent retirement cruise, it would have a full kitchen, and the ability to opt out of their food. That might be fun. Go into port and shop for something to cook that night. A totally different experience than a typical tourist.

I wouldn't think retiring on a cruise ship would be sustainable. If you get sick, they boot you off at the first available port.
My parents were on a cruise. My step dad had a mini stroke. They took him away in an ambulance and packed their belongings into plastic trash bags and set them on the dock with my mom. Then sailed away.

We left Los Angles on January 8th, and headed left (west) until we got back there to LA on May 25th. We were in tears when we returned to the USA...proud to be back home, and sad that we had to say goodbye to so many friends. The ship only held 500 passengers, and of that, only 200 did the whole 4.5 months.

There were some people that stayed on the ship even longer...and you get special status the more nights you travel. It is not for everyone, but it can be a tremendous way to see the world and get a taste of different countries and cultures...which helps you appreciate your own life so much more.

Everyone is different, and as much as I enjoy cruising I certainly have zero desire to retire on one. I think this 137 days would be way too long for me, but what would make it enticing to me would be: 1) the exciting itinerary and 2) even though it is lengthy, there is a finite timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom