Don't "store" cash, how about food?

We tend to buy stuff on sale and then lose it (in the over-stuffed freezer) until it's freezer burnt. Spent today making soup out of freezer burnt beef. Really PO'd because I bought a new bottle of Worchestershire sauce and ripped up my finger on a broken part of the bottle as I tried to open it. Thinking of paying the store manager a visit. Anyone got a .45 I can borrow?

This is the first time we've lived in a hurricane prone state. Those of you on the mainland at least have someplace to GO if one is coming. We're pretty much committed to riding it out if one happens along. The good news is that we're a pretty small target and the mid-Pacific has been less active of late than the gulf and Atlantic.

Still, we've gone through the drill and stocked up for hurricane season (last year) and will do so again this year.

But to the OP: Mentioned elsewhere, both parents were young adults during GD. They both did without proper nutrition at times and dad often went hungry (only specific story he ever shared about this was eating only onions for a week.)

So, growing up, we always had a good stock of staples and canned goods. I sort of thought it was a bit much, but I learned (from parents but also from their contemporaries) what it was like to be without enough food.

Whether we're headed into another "GD" or not, who knows. Also mentioned elsewhere, HI is vulnerable to shortages due to transportation issues. Based on these uncertainties, I'm thinking hard about stocking up a bit more than normal hurricane prep would dictate.

Guess I look at it as cheap insurance. You could make a case that you loose some opportunity value if you buy extra food, but "what opportunity" right now? I could make a case that buying now could well be a good "investment" if inflation takes off.

I think if you don't go "nuts" about it, some extra food right now makes more sense than stocking lots of cash, IMO. ITSHTF, you can eat food but you can't eat cash. Pretty much worst case is you pitch a few cans of Dinty cause they got shoved to the back of the pantry and expired.

All depends on what helps you sleep at night, I suppose. As always, YMMV

Still trying to stock up on ammo, in case of the zombie apocolypse. Ammo is scarce and expensive as heck if you can find any.

Still trying to stock up on ammo, in case of the zombie apocolypse. Ammo is scarce and expensive as heck if you can find any.

Didnt you read World War Z? Just go with 22 cal and have a head bludgeoning type of weapon. Perhaps a handy mace. :police:

Guess I look at it as cheap insurance.

This is how I look at it exactly. I store only what we eat and what I store is more or less ingredients, not Twinkies and Ho Hos. I am a scratch cook so a fully stocked pantry increases my options.

We stock a year's worth of staples: wheat (plus an electric grinder and a manual grinder), beans, sugar, salt, dry milk, yeast, oil/shortening. Actually more like two years' now as the kidlets are moving on to college. That's at home. We only have space for about 3 months worth here. We don't have any canned goods in the states tight now...they go bad before we can use them. The above staples will more or less last forever, except the milk and yeast. I love real whole wheat bread, so I use wheat from our stock to make my own...and I cook a big pot of beans about once a week, so we do use what we store. DW does not think she is a good cook, so usually end up with the bread making and bean boiling duty. We are LDS.

R

Never read World war Z, but just looked it up. I'll have to borrow it from the library. I just sold my M-1 Carbine and M1 Garand.

Back
Top Bottom