Dow 26k by Jan. 31

I can rationalize the action in the U.S. market with the step change in the regulatory and tax environment. I find it harder to rationalize the ex-U.S. market which has performed almost the same as U.S. since November 2016.

But we are overdue for a correction :hide:. Maybe it started yesterday?

yea!...up up up has been a bit boring.

my guess is tomorrow will be back to up.

But we are overdue for a correction :hide:. Maybe it started yesterday?
Looks like the correction is continuing onward today.

Oh my!! It sure is. I must admit that I was surprised to see yesterday's drop in the Dow, and today looks even worse.

This might be it! :cool: (Or not. I have no idea.)

Luckily we have had a long time to prepare for a correction.

I am hoping this dip lasts a little bit longer and drops a little bit further. Last week I initiated a trustee to trustee transfer of a 401K to an IRA. I would rather reinvest the funds when the market is dipping rather than peaking.

Of course with my luck the market will come roaring back to new record highs the day before my money shows up and I am able to reinvest it! I hate being out of the market with these funds during this transition.

I'm simply amazed! The Dow is down 362 points in one day, 540 points in two days.

I just added up my monthly spending for January, and I spent ~$1048 less than usual/expected. Hmm, does that mean this is it? Does it mean that I am tightening my belt due to a subconscious hunch that the next crash is nigh?

Well if I do, is that the anti-"Wheee!!!"? Maybe the market will reverse and soar straight upwards now. Could it be?

:confused:

:cool:

Last edited:
I'm simply amazed! The Dow is down 362 points in one day, 540 points in two days.

I just added up my monthly spending for January, and I spent ~$1048 less than usual/expected. Hmm, does that mean this is it? Does it mean that I am tightening my belt due to a subconscious hunch that the next crash is nigh?

Well if I do, is that the anti-"Wheee!!!"? Maybe the market will reverse and soar straight upwards now. Could it be?

I looked at our history and we almost always spend less when times are good and more when times are bad. Turns out that is the best time to get home improvement work done and the best deals on travel (and fewer crowds).

I looked at our history and we almost always spend less when times are good and more when times are bad. Turns out that is the best time to get home improvement work done and the best deals on travel (and fewer crowds).
While not looking forward to the next recession, I am looking forward to buying a used van. Darn things are way over priced right now.
Can't find a decent tradesman to give an estimate on some house upgrades I need.
The Great Recession got me a used Cadillac for way cheap and at rediculess price on Florida hotel rooms.
Consider it rebalancing of sorts.

I sure would like to see the price of drywall come back down to earth.

Maybe you did have a hunch. Maybe I did too (I just finally rebalanced a day ago.)

Or maybe not. One thing we can be sure of is it will go up and down going forward...

Ride a painted pony let the spinnin' wheel spin...

One good thing is we have a lot of padding now to hopefully land safely if it should come down a lot.

The stock market really doesn’t like it when interest rates jump this fast/suddenly.

Geez they shake the tree a little & it's over. Does anyone remember what a slight correction is?

US markets are richly priced but the US is the cradle of capitalism. The fountain of optimisim. If you want to get rich & don't mind getting your hands dirty there's no better place to do it.

I’m not sure this is as true as it once was. I’ve seen studies that rank the US lower than some other countries in social mobility, ie the ability to do better than one’s “starting point”. I agree it’s a great place to be if you are rich. Inequality seems to be increasing though?

Well *that* didn’t take long ...

Well *that* didn’t take long ...

Yes!! Looks like we are headed back up today, at least during the first few minutes. We'll see. Up 154 points already at 9:53 CST.

I was sort of hoping we might recover our prior gains before the 1st. At some point during the first week of every month, I record the total of what I had in my investment portfolio + bank accounts that month. It would be fun to record something especially high. Not that it matters, I suppose.

Anything less than 5% is end of month profit taking. I think the Wall st watchers know were heading much higher. Dow 35k is a distinct probability. Wall of worry is in place. Is saying wall crossing the line these days? My apologies. Ok then see everyone in church:)

Good thing the cut off was Jan 31st and not Feb 2nd.

Down down 384 pts so far today as I type :(.

Anything less than 5% is end of month profit taking. I think the Wall st watchers know were heading much higher. Dow 35k is a distinct probability. Wall of worry is in place. Is saying wall crossing the line these days? My apologies. Ok then see everyone in church:)

I've always heard that the last few days of the month and the first few days of the month are almost always positive

We might get a buying opportunity. Fed easing thier foot off the gas. They might be behind the curve.

Back
Top Bottom