Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I don't need to remember garbage day, because I watch for my neighbors' cans to appear at the curb...
Unfortunately for us, we need to. Garbage pick up occurs between 7-8 am for us and we can't put it out until after 5 am due to bears. Once DW stops working later this year, Tuesday will be the only night we set the alarm.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 12:02 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
All of these things. To which I might add, work with people you like as much as is possible. When I reflect back on the last few years before I retired, it was the people I worked with and for that made it bearable. Although I'd lost all interest in and respect for my field, and suffocated under the organization's bureaucracy, I really liked the people I worked with and very much liked helping my clients. I got a call last week from a former co-worker I'd not spoken with since retirement, and it was just fantastic to talk to her again.

Even though I'm retired, I'm not against working (although retirement has very much spoiled me!). Its merits can include a sense of accomplishment, productivity, and enjoying the people around you.
I also think part of it is doing a job that you enjoy. I bought a book called Do What You Are and realized why I was happier after going back to more technical work from mid-career from senior management. It was hard to leave the money at first but it just wasn't what I enjoyed and I actually ended up making more per hour because of no commute (work at home) and no unpaid overtime from being in a salaried position.

Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Dreadful Sunday night. How many more?
Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dreadful Sunday night. How many more?

Amateurs. You'll know you're really retired when you can't distinguish, or more importantly don't care, what day is Sunday. Had to go an actually calculate, but for the record over 1,100 Sunday nights and proudly not counting...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I hated Sunday when I w*rked.

Now, I have a Sunday ritual, partially carried over from those days. Summer means all occurs out on the patio.

1) NO toil of any kind allowed.

2) Nice leisurely breakfast, something that may or may not be "healthy".

3) Dress, drive to the paper store, and buy two Sunday papers....The NY Times and the Buffalo News right now, but the Pittsburgh paper sometimes.....

4) Read said papers. It may take me a week to get thru all the sections, but that's OK. I just like the ritual of reading a paper paper. I KNOW it's all on the internet, but there's a world of difference in holding, folding and reading a paper.

5) Finally, go to bed without the stomach turning nervousness that used kept me up all night.

I love Sunday!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Amateurs. You'll know you're really retired when you can't distinguish, or more importantly don't care, what day is Sunday.
Sometimes it is necessary and important to keep track due to circumstances entirely beyond one's control. For example around here you cannot buy any alcoholic beverages before 1:00 PM on Sundays and once I wasted a trip to the grocery store and had to go back.

It was awful, I tell ya, just awful.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I also think part of it is doing a job that you enjoy. I bought a book called Do What You Are and realized why I was happier after going back to more technical work from mid-career from senior management. It was hard to leave the money at first but it just wasn't what I enjoyed and I actually ended up making more per hour because of no commute (work at home) and no unpaid overtime from being in a salaried position.
Yes, that's definitely a course of action (along with changing careers), particularly if your years away from retirement. In my case, being so close to retirement coupled with a desire to leave the field altogether led me to deciding to just stick it out.
Old 06-18-2016, 02:39 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's pretty rare, but this weekend I have to head for the airport late Sunday morning to fly to Oklahoma to be at a prospective customer first thing Monday morning. 9 more months and it can never happen again.
Old 06-19-2016, 09:11 AM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

For my last 10 years or so of work, if I didn't take an Ambien on Sunday night I wouldn't be able to sleep. Constantly racing mind; (seemingly) endless emails or texts from boss about new emergencies for Monday; mentally tackling the most stressful items. And I was probably working from home most of the weekend on top of everything. If I didn't sleep well (and at the end, the Ambien only gave me a few hours anyway) my mental well-being for the entire week was at risk. I had a neurotically constructed Sunday regimen specifically designed to help me get through the coming week. If I was still working it would not have been physically, or mentally, possible to watch Game 7 of the NBA Finals late on a Sunday night. Now I'm looking forward to it - and even better, if I can't watch it for some reason, I'll DVR it and wake up at 4am and watch it then. Most importantly, I will enjoy it!
Fast forward many months later - I haven't taken, or needed, an Ambien since I quit. Sunday is just another, non-stressful, day. If I don't sleep well that's ok and it usually means that I just don't need the sleep. I was out with friends (who were moaning about work) until past 230am last night and had a blast!
Old 06-19-2016, 02:55 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Dreadful Sunday nights... I hadn't thought about that in nearly 5 years (only 250 or so non-dreadful Sundays) but now that you've jogged my memory I do recall the feeling.

Hopefully your dreadful Sunday nights will come to an end soon. As for the One More Year syndrome I think many of us have been there but finally came to our senses.