Early retirement discussion on Newseek.com

tangomonster

Full time employment: Posting here.
Jane Bryant Quinn is going to be doing a live open discussion on ER on Newsweek.com tomorrow (Wednesday) at 2:30 p.m. ET. Thought some here may be interested. She typically gives good, if somewhat simplistic and generic, advice. She had a column in the Newsweek that came out today. She did say (and know many here would disagree, including myself) to "run, not walk, to a financial planner" to figure out the viability of ER and make it work. She did say to look for fee-only planners andnnot those who work on a commission and hawk expensive products.

She did say that it is too late to start saving at 50.

She said that "a common mistake is to look at retirement in a five-year time frame without planning any further" (I find this hard to believe---most people intend to live longer than five years after they retire, especially if they retire at what she says is the average age: 57). According to her, costs go up as people get older: "it's in your later years that the effects of inflation, rising medical costs or poor investment decisions kick in."

Jane Bryant Quinn

She had a column in the Newsweek that came out today. She did say (and know many here would disagree, including myself) to "run, not walk, to a financial planner" to figure out the viability of ER and make it work. She did say to look for fee-only planners andnnot those who work on a commission and hawk expensive products.

"

Her intended target for this message was probably those who have not taken FI seriously; do not have a clue on how to start; and will not do anything without someone holding their hand. IMHO, she is more realistic than the majority of the column writers.

Her intended target for this message was probably those who have not taken FI seriously; do not have a clue on how to start; and will not do anything without someone holding their hand. IMHO, she is more realistic than the majority of the column writers.
Well, they're the only ones who would undergo a religious epiphany and rush out to buy her latest book. If not for them, her only book sales would be to libraries...

Yup... when a journalist is the provider of sage advice... it is usually to the equivalent of 1st and 2nd graders (in a financial sense). They for the most part just restate basic facts that can be found in hundreds (thousands) of other periodicals and books.

She has a nice delivery... but for newbies that need something watered down.

For that matter, I am not sure she in not just the public mouth piece that delivers the message... there could be others behind the scene writing the words! :)

Jane Bryant Quinn is going to be doing a live open discussion on ER on Newsweek.com tomorrow (Wednesday) at 2:30 p.m. ET. Thought some here may be interested. She typically gives good, if somewhat simplistic and generic, advice. She had a column in the Newsweek that came out today. She did say (and know many here would disagree, including myself) to "run, not walk, to a financial planner" to figure out the viability of ER and make it work. She did say to look for fee-only planners andnnot those who work on a commission and hawk expensive products.

No offense, she is a hack, but better than Suze Orman

She did say that it is too late to start saving at 50.

I disagree, there are some on this board that did exactly that and made it work.......:)

She said that "a common mistake is to look at retirement in a five-year time frame without planning any further" (I find this hard to believe---most people intend to live longer than five years after they retire, especially if they retire at what she says is the average age: 57). According to her, costs go up as people get older: "it's in your later years that the effects of inflation, rising medical costs or poor investment decisions kick in."

That last paragraph proves my original point, she's trying to sell books like Suze Orman...........:D

Back
Top Bottom