Early Retirement TOO Extreme? Jacob Fisker unRetires

And FWIW Chad and Golden, I second W2R's comment of Jacob being liked and respected. Please assume the best of posters here and assume any minor rude questioning is from surprise and genuine interest, not snarkiness and complainypantsness. :)

Not trying to start/add to the flames rumbling underneath the surface, but I wonder if the ERE website shouldn't instead be more described as "ESL" (Extremely Simple Living)?

It should have been called "SELF-SUFFICIENCY DIY ETHICS PERSONAL FREEDOM LOW ENVIRONMENTAL FOOTPRINT AND FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE" dot com or something. The word retirement has so many unfortunate connotations depending on who's using it. Very many can not see past their own definition. It's my theory that the definition of retirement is generationally dependent---that is, how old one is/or think. Unfortunately, when I started the blog 4 years ago I never had any idea that one word would turn into such a big issue. If I had to start another blog today I'd title it something meaningless ... like penguinmuglock ... to avoid this issue.

But when someone sets out for such a hallmark standout goal of retiring in their early 30s, and makes a point of doing it on such a shoestring budget, then 'returns to work out of boredom', it would be like someone training for a marathon, then running the race's first 2 miles at a 4:25/mile pace, and then quitting because they were so far ahead of the pack that "it wasn't worth the challenge of continuing". In all probability, they wouldn't have been able to continue that 4:25/mile pace for the rest of the 24.2 miles...

Well, first of all ... I never intended to be a figurehead in any way ...

And I'd say it's more like someone who trains, completes and wins a big marathon, say the Boston one. Where's the challenge after that? Sure, one could do the same thing all over again and win it again next year. This, however, is a different challenge. Winning it the first time shows that it's possible to win it. Winning it the second time just shows that one is capable of repeating oneself. Winning the first time allows for personal growth/many insights. Winning it the second time ... is far from the same.
Or okay, say you win it the second year as well. Do you want to repeat the drill the third year?

It seems to me more like you're suggesting that because I won it once, I should keep competing in that same marathon for the rest of my life? Where's the challenge in that? Maybe that's enough for some, but I found it's not for me.

So look, the temperament (typical participant) of the E-R board and the temperament of the ERE are different. Just like the temperament is different on bogleheads (who largely don't understand frugality) or simpleliving (who largely don't like investing) or permaculture (who focus on natural assets), etc. And this means people have problems understanding each others motivations. Yes, I realize I'm hugely generalizing the various forums here, but I've also seen enough "statistics" to have a good idea of where people are coming from.

One of the reasons I started the ERE board was because some people didn't feel they quite fit in over here on E-R and told me so. Nobody on E-R quite understood the different motivations over on ERE. I resisted setting up the ERE boards for a while (why duplicate the effort) but eventually gave in.

I really do suspect it's generational. E-R are mainly baby boomers who see retirement as a big long party of traveling and having fun following some, hopefully, meaningful career. Your reason for E-R is to make that party last longer.

ERE is predominantly Gen-X oriented. It's not about [your kind of] retirement as much as it's financial independence: the freedom from having to put up with career b.s. and find work or something else that interests us. These goals and life orientations are QUITE different. "Partying", that is, traveling, keeping in shape, or experiencing stuff is just not satisfying enough. There's no "contribution" in those activities.

Finally, there's a need to separate the message from the messenger. (This is a good part of the reason why I'm pulling back from this.) The math is what the math is. My SWR is 2.22% and even enormously rising health costs are not going to destroy that. My going back to work does not increase my SWR and 2.22% is very low ... even for 60+ years of withdrawals. I think many on E-R are just fine with SWRs of 3% or even 4%.

Also, I'm not the only one doing this. Also, the math proves it works. It would not be a very intelligent use of my time to demonstrate the proof of concept in time. It would be like running 2 miles per day for 50 days and making the claim that if I keep doing that for another 50 days, I'll have run 200 miles total. Stopping after 50 days does not disprove that someone who had continued wouldn't have gotten to 200 miles in 100 days. I mean, go ahead, you know my SWR, you know my budget, you can then derive my networth. Go plug that into firecalc under some extremely conservative assumption. I'm using the same tools as you guys.

Some think I'm tired of not spending money. I don't know what more I can possibly say to refute this. The way we live is a different lifestyle. It's not some sacrificing/reduced version of the consumerist/materialist lifestyle. (This is the point E-R and ERE often misunderstand each other, I think).

When I go back to work, we'll have to move. We'll sell the RV and move into an apartment. I expect our rent to go up by $100-300 total. Conversely, RV insurance and maintenance will go away. We'll be driving less (or not at all) since we'll be inside the city instead of outside. Since we're moving east, CPI will go down and food will be cheaper. Overall, I expect to stay under $600/month.

While I don't think there is anything approaching a rules violation, I do get an overall negative feeling from the flow of this thread. I mean, the title itself is a bit snarky, no? Makes it sound like Jacob ran out of cash and was forced back to work in failure. As far as I can tell that's 180 from the reality of the situation.

I wish Jacob good luck and hope a good story comes out of this next chapter in his life. I have to warn him though, I grew up near Chicago and it gets cold there. Like frozen water in the sky cold. ;)

GM
I don't see them as rules violations either, just the lay of the land here. All members seem to hold FI as a goal. From there some members respect the decision to choose RE or any other option including work in some form. But some members express the view that anyone who reaches FI and continues to work has to be a loser, seeming to say all work is evil. Volunteering judgement on Jacob's choices seems to fall in the latter POV. Sometimes I try to defend all options, usually I just let it go - consistent with community rules, and the right approach IMO anyway. We can agree to disagree amicably. All in all this is a great forum with thoughtful, intelligent members.

Last edited:
Jacob, I’ve not read your blog or book, but would like to make a few comments.

Well, first of all ... I never intended to be a figurehead in any way ...
Yes you did when you published it on a blog.

And I'd say it's more like someone who trains, completes and wins a big marathon, say the Boston one. Where's the challenge after that? Sure, one could do the same thing all over again and win it again next year. This, however, is a different challenge. Winning it the first time shows that it's possible to win it. Winning it the second time just shows that one is capable of repeating oneself. Winning the first time allows for personal growth/many insights. Winning it the second time ... is far from the same.
Or okay, say you win it the second year as well. Do you want to repeat the drill the third year?

It seems to me more like you're suggesting that because I won it once, I should keep competing in that same marathon for the rest of my life? Where's the challenge in that? Maybe that's enough for some, but I found it's not for me.
Retirement is leaving work forever. Not the same a race. A new challenge within retirement is not the same as un-retiring.

So look, the temperament (typical participant) of the E-R board and the temperament of the ERE are different. Just like the temperament is different on bogleheads (who largely don't understand frugality) or simpleliving (who largely don't like investing) or permaculture (who focus on natural assets), etc. And this means people have problems understanding each others motivations. Yes, I realize I'm hugely generalizing the various forums here, but I've also seen enough "statistics" to have a good idea of where people are coming from.
Hugely generalizing - yes. And I think, not fairly.

One of the reasons I started the ERE board was because some people didn't feel they quite fit in over here on E-R and told me so. Nobody on E-R quite understood the different motivations over on ERE. I resisted setting up the ERE boards for a while (why duplicate the effort) but eventually gave in.

I really do suspect it's generational. E-R are mainly baby boomers who see retirement as a big long party of traveling and having fun following some, hopefully, meaningful career. Your reason for E-R is to make that party last longer.

ERE is predominantly Gen-X oriented. It's not about [your kind of] retirement as much as it's financial independence: the freedom from having to put up with career b.s. and find work or something else that interests us. These goals and life orientations are QUITE different. "Partying", that is, traveling, keeping in shape, or experiencing stuff is just not satisfying enough. There's no "contribution" in those activities.
I feel you mischaracterize this forum. We are all about reaching financial independence and then enjoying the benefit.

Finally, there's a need to separate the message from the messenger. (This is a good part of the reason why I'm pulling back from this.) The math is what the math is. My SWR is 2.22% and even enormously rising health costs are not going to destroy that. My going back to work does not increase my SWR and 2.22% is very low ... even for 60+ years of withdrawals. I think many on E-R are just fine with SWRs of 3% or even 4%.

Also, I'm not the only one doing this. Also, the math proves it works. It would not be a very intelligent use of my time to demonstrate the proof of concept in time. It would be like running 2 miles per day for 50 days and making the claim that if I keep doing that for another 50 days, I'll have run 200 miles total. Stopping after 50 days does not disprove that someone who had continued wouldn't have gotten to 200 miles in 100 days. I mean, go ahead, you know my SWR, you know my budget, you can then derive my networth. Go plug that into firecalc under some extremely conservative assumption. I'm using the same tools as you guys.

Some think I'm tired of not spending money. I don't know what more I can possibly say to refute this. The way we live is a different lifestyle. It's not some sacrificing/reduced version of the consumerist/materialist lifestyle. (This is the point E-R and ERE often misunderstand each other, I think).

When I go back to work, we'll have to move. We'll sell the RV and move into an apartment. I expect our rent to go up by $100-300 total. Conversely, RV insurance and maintenance will go away. We'll be driving less (or not at all) since we'll be inside the city instead of outside. Since we're moving east, CPI will go down and food will be cheaper. Overall, I expect to stay under $600/month.
The math is not the point. Retirement is not a milestone, it is a life goal. Going back to work, for whatever reason, is a choice we are all free to make, but it recharacterizes the achievement. Time off work or leave of absence to pursue other life goals is a noteworthy and legitimate pursuit, but it is not retirement.

It should have been called "SELF-SUFFICIENCY DIY ETHICS PERSONAL FREEDOM LOW ENVIRONMENTAL FOOTPRINT AND FINANCIAL INDEPENDENCE" dot com or something. The word retirement has so many unfortunate connotations depending on who's using it. Very many can not see past their own definition. It's my theory that the definition of retirement is generationally dependent---that is, how old one is/or think. Unfortunately, when I started the blog 4 years ago I never had any idea that one word would turn into such a big issue. If I had to start another blog today I'd title it something meaningless ... like penguinmuglock ... to avoid this issue.

I think that what you are describing is generally referred to as 'Lifestyle Design' (ala Tim Ferris) as opposed to FI or ER. There is overlap there, to be sure, but I think that most would agree that 'retirement' means not working for an employer. While the wife and I quit our jobs, we're still working on a freelance basis. I refer to myself as 'semi-retired' because we don't have a fixed address and all our possessions fit into a couple of backpacks. So I think it is fair to say you are 'unretired' and to point out the irony in your blog title. :D

I don't see them as rules violations either, just the lay of the land here. All members seem to hold FI as a goal. From there some members respect the decision to choose RE or any other option including work in some form.

But the web site does seem to indicate that ER is central, not just an option...

I feel you mischaracterize this forum. We are all about reaching financial independence and then enjoying the benefit.

And yet 'early-retirement' is the domain name. :D

Last edited:
And yet 'early-retirement' is the domain name. :D

The "About us" statement could not be more clear
This community was started in 2002 as an alternative to a then fee only Motley Fool. The focus of the discussions is on topics related to early retirement and financial independence.

I get the generational thing perfectly that Jacob tried to say. I am tied, for various reasons, to the job I now have, but use this forum to help me stay on track for savings goals and investing plans. I enjoy the people of all ages and stages of their own plans, but recognize that the central theme of this board, that of early retirement, is not even on my radar most of the time.

I'm a long-time reader of Jacob's blog and can identify a lot with his situation. Maybe it's a Gen-X thing? I'm striving to reach FI; once that goal is reached who knows what I'll do.

Best of luck Jacob and I hope you'll update us on how you do in your new phase in life.

Jacob is a hard to deal with at times visionary who spells things out succinctly and in a logical, concise fashion who has influenced and inspired tens of thousands. As opposed to people who are grammar nazis' about the name of his blog.

I could care less about him getting a job.... for whatever reason.....

It is his life, he can live it the way he wants to live it.... if he needs the money, then a job is a good way to go.... if he needs brain stimulation, and this job provides it... that is also a good way to go...

I could care less about him getting a job.... for whatever reason.....

It is his life, he can live it the way he wants to live it.... if he needs the money, then a job is a good way to go.... if he needs brain stimulation, and this job provides it... that is also a good way to go...

I agree completely. If he knows what he wants in life, and is pursuing it, more power to him! Self knowledge is the key IMO.

It's just the mention of a $400 sweater that makes me choke. :D I might have the same response if Donald Trump mentioned buying a $400 sweater.

I agree completely. If he knows what he wants in life, and is pursuing it, more power to him! Self knowledge is the key IMO.

It's just the mention of a $400 sweater that makes me choke. :D I might have the same response if Donald Trump mentioned buying a $400 sweater.

Imagine what knitting that sweater would cost when you add in the labor costs! Donald Trump would be the only one who could afford it.

I agree.... there is no way the guy would buy a $400 sweater, so why compare it to one.... but my sister made a lot of afghans and gave them away... said it kept her hands busy.... she could do it without looking...

To me, just like the rake... the cost of building was way more than the money spend at your big box store.... and time is money even if you are not making any (some day.....:greetings10:)....

I might agree on furniture.... most people will say 'wow, you built that!!!'... but I don't think you get the same reaction when you pull out your home made rake.... it is more like 'wow, you built THAT:confused:?'...

LOL you'd be surprised at what impresses people these days. One of my neighbors was quite taken with my mallet which is essentially a round of firewood with a hole drilled into it for a handle.

All I'm saying about the handmade cableknit sweater is that if you had to buy a similar one, you'd pay $400. I'd never pay that either and was also quite surprised when told what these things cost.

LOL you'd be surprised at what impresses people these days. One of my neighbors was quite taken with my mallet which is essentially a round of firewood with a hole drilled into it for a handle.

All I'm saying about the handmade cableknit sweater is that if you had to buy a similar one, you'd pay $400. I'd never pay that either and was also quite surprised when told what these things cost.

I'm relieved to hear that! I just couldn't imagine you standing in front of a display of $400 sweaters at a very expensive designer sweater establishment, and the following conversation ensuing:

Jacob: "Hmmm.... That's the one I want. Very cool and it makes me look so dashing. $400? No problem. I think I'll buy it."

Jacob's wife: "But dear, I know you have a closet full of $400 sweaters and this time couldn't I just knit you one? We only have $401 left in our budget this month."

Jacob: "Oh, very well, if you must..."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Not a likely scenario!!! I'm glad that isn't the case.

I'm a long-time reader of Jacob's blog and can identify a lot with his situation. Maybe it's a Gen-X thing? I'm striving to reach FI; once that goal is reached who knows what I'll do.

There's definitely a generational difference between the boards. A lot of ER people on this here E-R forum have traditional pensions. Most Gen Xers don't have that luxury. A lot made good money from being invested in the 90s. Gen Xers haven't had that decade yet (witness the 1990-2000 S&P run compared to the 2000-2011 S&P slight drop).

The goal on E-R is to save a $hit-ton of money and then retire (or work at a job that has a pension). The goal on ERE is to...be FI? Of course, that's also the goal of E-R posters but obviously the finish lines ($$) are vastly different.

Jacob is a hard to deal with at times visionary who spells things out succinctly and in a logical, concise fashion who has influenced and inspired tens of thousands.

Grasshopper, "to conquer oneself is a greater victory than to conquer thousands in a battle."*

*Dalai Lama

Jacob , I wish you the best . I've read your blog . It's a little too frugal for me but it is very interesting and I admire you for having the courage to go in another direction .

I don't know anything about Jacob's blog, but I will observe that at the end of the day, each of us must live life on our own terms. I'm trying to follow my own bliss, and it appears that Jacob is following his. How he chooses to characterize it is not my concern. I wish you well, Jacob.

Jacob, I’ve not read your blog or book, but would like to make a few comments.

Yes you did when you published it on a blog.

So everyone who blogs has aspirations of being a figurehead:confused: Uh... never would have figured that one.

Hugely generalizing - yes. And I think, not fairly.

I've been a member here since 2004, and owe this place a colossal debt of gratitude for helping me understand why I couldn't wait to find a way out of corporate hell. That being said, after I found Jacob's blog, it "spoke" to me in a way this site never really did. I think Jacob's point has merit... perhaps because I'm of a different "generation" (X to be specific).

... and who knew naming your blog with retirement in the title would set you up for such semantic gymnastics...

I never posted on your farewell blog post Jacob, but please accept my gratitude for what you have shared. I won't lie, reading about you going back to work totally threw me for a loop, but it's your life... go live it!

Last edited:
Isn't Steve Jobs famous for something to this effect: You only have one life, don't waste it living somebody else's.

Good Advice.

The reason Jacob got in hot water was not simply because he wrote a blog. It was because his Web site is named "Early Retirement Extreme", and he sold ebooks on his frugal methods to achieve that goal. Had he stressed from the beginning that "what the site is really about is not “retirement” but financial independence", then he would not have to admit that he is "about to commit some “light ERE treason”".

I remember now that I first heard of Jacob's site from a mention on this forum. I did go there to read some of his musings. Overall, I thought highly of him, and agreed with him on many philosophical points. Being a frugal guy and a tinkerer myself, I would always take things apart to see if I could fix something before throwing it away. In my youth, I would disassemble even working things to understand how they worked, with the often regrettable end result that they no londer did. I remember someone mentioned Richard Feynman on this forum. I enjoyed reading about Feynman's exploits, and I am sure many of you also did or would. There are people who think like Feynman, and some who do not. I am not sure if it has anything to do with being a boomer or a Gen-X'er.

Jacob is famous here for his homemade rake, and this reputation may stick with him for a while. I would not make fun of that though. I thought to myself that a guy who could rip (cut lengthwise) through a 2x4 with a handsaw definitely had more skills than I did in woodworking. Well, my skill in this area couldn't be called woodworking, but more like rough carpentry. I would be glad to merely be able to set up my power saw to rip a 2x4 lengthwise without a mishap from the blade kickback. Then, I happened to read his post on saw blade sharpening. He surely knew a lot more about saw blades than I did.

I believe Jacob is the kind of guy who would do well at whatever he sets his mind to. That's why I said in my earlier post that it did not surprise me that he got bored with early retirement. In fact, I wondered why he should have retired at all! Maybe he just got burned out from his time in the academic environment. And had he spend some time looking, perhaps he would have found something more interesting, like his upcoming job.

As someone said in an earlier post, there are challenges in life or in the workplace (gasp!) that can be a more interesting problem than what one can come up with on his own. And if someone even pays you to work that problem, wouldn't that be even better? Just because you get paid to do something does not mean that it has to be bad w*rk. The main issue is for the individual to find something that he enjoys doing, and to find new challenges, new frontiers in that work. Often times, we think we have some problems solved, only to find out later that we were only scratching the surface.

I hope that Jacob will not feel obligated to maintain the same frugality that he has been exercising. Come on! If a bicyclist rode the length of the muddy Dempster highway, would anyone question why he did not ride all the way there from Florida, in lieu of transporting his bike to start riding from Dawson City? Would anyone call that cheating? If I want to go sailing, do I have to start from scratch with building my own boat? I agree with Jacob's philosophy of DIY, and of the appreciation of skills and knowledge in even leisure pursuits, but can one carry that a bit too far? And why do I have to prove anything to anybody?

Anyway, I wish Jacob well, and look forward to hearing his future story. I know it will not be a dull one.

Last edited:
Back in the 70's we used to ride dirt bikes in Rockcastle county, KY. Whenever we happen to be on pavement in the morning there would always be turtles sunning themselves on the pavement. We would always stop and rescue the turtles from getting smashed by cars. At the end of the day everyone would compare who saved the most turtles and what kind they were. We even had t-shirts made with 'Rockcastle Turtle Rescue' on them.

One morning as we were all getting ready to go for a ride, Willis proclaimed that he had already saved 1000 turtles this morning. Everyone stopped getting their bikes ready and wanted to here the story. He went on to say that he got up that morning with the intention to kill 1000 turtles. But after having breakfast he changed his mind, which in turn saved 1000 turtles that day from demise.

I saw Willis in Florida last November 2010 and he still brags about the day he saved 1000 turtles.

jacob wrote...

Early-Retirement.org posters are mainly baby boomers who see retirement as a big long party of traveling and having fun following some, hopefully, meaningful career. Your reason for E-R is to make that party last longer.

This is also how I think of this message board, and it's also why I don't particularly like this message board. It's a lot better than Bogleheads, but still filled with lots of snarky, consumption-oriented Boomers. I'm more fond of the ERE forum.

Back
Top Bottom