Eating out vs groceries

accountingsucks

Recycles dryer sheets
Found the following excerpt/link to be interesting. Personally last year 61% of such spending was for groceries and 39% was eating out so I apparently eat out alot less then the average Canadian. What about all of you?

EDMONTON - Despite economic recovery, Albertans are losing the big appetite for dining out they acquired during the boom.
The ratio of sales at restaurants and pubs to sales at grocery and liquor stores fell below 0.54 in the first quarter of 2010, according to Statistics Canada. That means for every dollar spent at a grocery or liquor store, less than 54 cents was spent at a restaurant or bar.
Compare that to the first quarter of 2007 when the ratio was at its highest level at 0.57. For every dollar spent on groceries, 57 cents was spent on a night out.

We still dine out once or twice per week even though we should reduce the frequency.The bill for one night out for a family of four can easily tap almost $100, which is enough for 1-2 weeks of grocery.

We spend about 10% on eating out and 90% on groceries. We only eat out on special occasions (birthdays, anniversary, mother's day, etc...).

Quicken says I'm right around 75% groceries / 25% eating out over the past year. The latter includes taking the kids out to hamburger joints, TCBY, and work lunches for various reasons.

2Cor521

We still dine out once or twice per week even though we should reduce the frequency.The bill for one night out for a family of four can easily tap almost $100, which is enough for 1-2 weeks of grocery.

Dining out was the first thing we cut back on as the recession started to have a troubling effect on the FIRE portfolio. I agree, compared to the price of groceries, dining out can be pricey. We still go out with friends from time to time, but routine dining out for convenience has been discontinued until further notice. For us, it was a simple and not-too-painful way to cut back on discretionary spending.

Prior to cutting back, I'd estimate we were 60% groceries and 40% dining out. Now I'd estimate 90% - 10%. Wish I had better records of this.

We hardly ever eat at restaurants. I like to bake my own whole wheat bread and make brown rice, and other healthy foods and find restaurant food to generally be less healthy and less tasty. Our percentages are probably about 98 percent spent on groceries and 2 percent dining out.

Met a retired guy the other day who loves dining out but doesn't love the expense.

His answer is to eat lunch out - a lot of nice restaurants have same menu items at lunch as dinner - but they are smaller portions and smaller prices - perfect for him.

So he's "well restauranted" but on a budget.

We are about 50/50 on eating out/eating home expenses. We typically eat dinner out on Friday and lunch on Saturday and Sunday. It would probably improve my waistline if we ate more at home and less out (and gave up wine with every dinner).

Spanky, you're living "high on the hog" if you spend $100 to take the family of four out for dinner! DW and I go out at least twice a week, it never costs over $25 for the two of us. That includes the tip. We stay away from drinks and usually order iced tea. I guess it's our upbringing. The idea is to take a break from the kitchen, not seeing how much money one can spend. However, it's nice to see you take the family out and give mother a break.

Met a retired guy the other day who loves dining out but doesn't love the expense.

His answer is to eat lunch out - a lot of nice restaurants have same menu items at lunch as dinner - but they are smaller portions and smaller prices - perfect for him.

We are about 50/50 on eating out/eating home expenses.
I would guess we are around 50/50 too. We like to eat out and we like wine. We have started doing late lunches at restaurants and then just eating a snack at home for dinner. We frequently do either breakfast or lunch in the midpoint of a bike ride. On the lunches we have started splitting a meal -- a lot of places pile way too much on the plate. Not great to ride 25 miles back home with a super-sizer in the stomach. :D

0.39 for us in 2009 by Quicken. Eating out once a week at home, plus during travel.

My best guess is 85%/15% in favor of groceries versus eating out. I am including (mostly) the times I visit my dad and we go out to eat (about 15 times a year, sometimes he pays, sometimes I do), the few times my ladyfriend and I go out to eat (I pay; we both like to cook), and the few times I go to the local pizza joint for lunch.

EDMONTON - Despite economic recovery, Albertans are losing the big appetite for dining out they acquired during the boom.

The ratio of sales at restaurants and pubs to sales at grocery and liquor stores fell below 0.54 in the first quarter of 2010, according to Statistics Canada. That means for every dollar spent at a grocery or liquor store, less than 54 cents was spent at a restaurant or bar.

Compare that to the first quarter of 2007 when the ratio was at its highest level at 0.57. For every dollar spent on groceries, 57 cents was spent on a night out.

Has anyone considered the possibility Albertans may simply be doing a lot more drinking at home...:cool:

Same as many of us, they need a glass of something to cry into, in privacy. :'(

Spanky, you're living "high on the hog" if you spend $100 to take the family of four out for dinner! DW and I go out at least twice a week, it never costs over $25 for the two of us. That includes the tip. We stay away from drinks and usually order iced tea. I guess it's our upbringing. The idea is to take a break from the kitchen, not seeing how much money one can spend. However, it's nice to see you take the family out and give mother a break.

• Local fish shack: three fish tacos with slaw, rice, and a beer (for two) - $20
  • A single order of fajitas will feed two, especially with the rice, beans, and free chips n salsa - $13 (margaritas extra...)
  • Gigantic Chi-style pizza, easily feed two - $20
I usually have water with a meal, since I rarely drinks sodas. Alcohol is much cheaper at home.

The US average, according to the BLS, is 58% "at home" and 42% "away from home". The second includes school lunches. I think the "away from home" is big. To me, it says we've got a lot of people with money for luxuries.

Our spending is split 76%/24% where about a third of the 24% is restaurant meals with kids/grandkids.

We didn't change our spending due to the recession. I think we're well within "affordable" for our income.

We almost always drink water in restaurants, the cost of other beverages just seems out of line.

We do not eat out much, same as some earlier posters. Usually, we enjoy eating out when on travel, because it is more fun in an environment away from home. Even so, it becomes tedious after a while, hence we are looking forward to travel by RV to have a kitchen.

We didn't change our spending due to the recession. I think we're well within "affordable" for our income.

Same here. I do not even track food expenses, at home or restaurant. And even if the Dow went to 20,000, we still would not eat out more.

PS. There is one thing I would change, if I should become a decamillionaire. I would drink only XO Cognac, even if my middle-age taste bud has deteriorated and I might not be able to truly appreciate it. Just because I could afford it :)

During the work week I eat out breakfast and lunch. On weekends I eat out usually only once, but often I pay for more than just myself. Weekday breakfast is usually a coffee and bagel. Lunch is usually a deli sandwich or a buffet. Weekends I go to restaurants. From last year's data I spent 9.99% on groceries, 5.08% on weekday breakfast/lunch, and 3.49% on weekend dining out.

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

23% of our food budget is eating out. seems like a lot...but, our grocery budget keeps getting smaller and smaller - i think we are under $250/month for 2 people.

So he's "well restauranted" but on a budget.

Frank and I eat together at restaurants a lot now that we are retired. Eating out can cost less than groceries if you play your cards right, at least here where the restaurant business is quite competitive. Restaurant food is so fattening, and the portions are huge, so we often split one portion between us. Last night we split a grilled chicken Caesar salad, and even with iced tea that wasn't very expensive. Sometimes we just get soup and French bread. I often genuinely prefer water to tea or diet soda, and that lowers the cost too.

And then lunches are often more reasonable portions and prices, as your retired acquaintance noticed.

I still work and brown bag it half the time, eat out on other days with friends to be sociable. I dine in a restaurant only about once or twice a month preferring to cook a little as it is healthier and more convenient. I like restaurants that serve interesting food...by which I mean something I don't prepare at home or that is a complicated concoction(would never order a steak or burger out). I drink a glass of wine on a week-end evening at home, have a cocktail generally when out. Dinner in a restaurant is typically around $40.00 on average I would say(for one). I don't care much for buffets, preferring table service as it is more relaxing.

We usually eat out once a week but since we are both trying to lose weight we usually order from the appetizer menu or split portions . I enjoy cooking and also think it is healthier and more convenient . That is the one thing I dislike about travelling is the constant restaurant food and going somewhere to get food .My ideal travel would be a hotel with a mini kitchen and reasonably priced room service .There is nothing worse for me than spending a whole day touring and then having to find a restaurant .

Found the following excerpt/link to be interesting. Personally last year 61% of such spending was for groceries and 39% was eating out so I apparently eat out alot less then the average Canadian. What about all of you?

According to the way they calculate this, if your food split 61/39 then for every dollar you spend on groceries, you would spend 0.63 dollars on food in restaurants and this is higher than the 0.54 average. It sounds like you are above average. And a way above the average for this group.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom