Check Your Grocery Receipts!

No grocery here has single use plastic bags anymore. You can bring your own or buy a paper bag or one of the heavy duty reusable fiber ones with handles. I just keep my reusable bags in the car all the time. It's not a real problem.

The last time I was back home in CT, and in a grocery store (maybe 2019?), they were still charging for bags. We still have plastic bags here in TX grocery stores except for Costco and Sam's Club, both of which offer no bags at all (Offers smallish empty product boxes if you want).

Another recommendation. I recently got burned at the deli counter of a local market. I got some sliced turkey that was on sale. I noticed when the woman behind the counter handed me my packet of turkey the price / lb was at the old price which resulted in the turkey ~ $2 total more than it should have been. I pointed it out to her and she took it back and printed a new label. I didn't notice until I was home that while she did use the correct sale price / lb she stepped on the total weight without putting more turkey in the packet. Total amount was unchanged!!! :mad:
For now on, I use the Ronald Reagan methodology of "trust, but verify"!

I'm finding that cashiers aren't trained at all. I rarely use self-checkout because I buy a lot of produce and have to look up each product (do I have "large asparagus" or "small asparagus"?). Half the time the cashier doesn't know, either, and asks me what it is. I was buying something not too exotic and they asked, "Is this cabbage?" Once they rang up broccoli sold by the pound as "broccoli crowns" sold by the piece for a lot more $$$.

Pretty sad indication of what kinds of foods are in their diets.
Produce is easy in our self checkout as the scanners can read those little stickers on the veggies and fruits. You might have to give a quantity or place the item on the scanner to weigh it - both quick.

We also have the option to weigh and get a sticker with bar code and total price right in the produce section. We don’t do that much anymore with the scanners reading the little produce stickers.

Last edited:
Produce is easy in our self checkout as the scanners can read those little stickers on the veggies and fruits. You might have to give a quantity or place the item on the scanner to weigh it - both quick.

We also have the option to weigh and get a sticker with bar code and total price right in the produce section. We don’t do that much anymore with the scanners reading the little produce stickers.

My local grocery chain scanners can't read most of the bar codes unless it's something pre-packaged like a veggie tray or brand name fresh herbs. The asparagus example was real; I had to choose between "large asparagus" and "small asparagus" and chose the wrong one. Beep, beep. Employee comes over, tells me they don't carry the one I punched in. So why is it in the computer? Another time I bought the cheapest brand of bananas. That brand wasn't listed as a selection. Oh, and "scallions" should be looked up as "green onions". Or the other way around. :rolleyes:

You can see why I don't use self-checkout.

I'm finding that cashiers aren't trained at all. I rarely use self-checkout because I buy a lot of produce and have to look up each product (do I have "large asparagus" or "small asparagus"?). Half the time the cashier doesn't know, either, and asks me what it is. I was buying something not too exotic and they asked, "Is this cabbage?" Once they rang up broccoli sold by the pound as "broccoli crowns" sold by the piece for a lot more $$$.

Pretty sad indication of what kinds of foods are in their diets.

Kinda surprised... our produce have number tags on them and even a few places you can weight and print out a price tag.. I do hate it when they are broke or out of stickers..

You're actually incorrect when it comes to chain grocery stores. They do not have the power to fix incorrect pricing at the store level, it can only be done at the corporate office. At chain grocers they don't even count their own inventory or do their own purchasing anymore, it's all automated. When they discover incorrect pricing they're supposed to report that to corporate so the fix can be put in for ALL stores at once, but few stores actually do that since the sales run only for one week.

I can't confirm your contention, but only know that the chain store I use on the mainland DOES deal with issues at the register IF you get a manager. NOW, whether the ring-up PRICE is dealt with at the store aisle, I guess I do not actually know. The manager always says "I'll fix it." But I rarely come back and buy another bottle of ketchup or bag of chips that were on the weekly sale before prices revert to the normal price from the sale price, for instance. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom