Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-04-2009, 11:04 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
This is kind of reflexive, isn't it?
Do you have any facts to back this up or is it merely your opinion?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I'm intrigued by the PP and have been studying it. It seems to me that the fund (PRPFX) is a little heavier on equities than the 4x25 Harry Browne version, and has those Swiss Francs which used to be a good idea -- but now that currency is just another fiat currency and it seems useless or worse now.
I don't get the Swiss-specific investments either; seems so, I dunno, 1970s to me - like suits with bell-bottoms, wide ties, and long bushy sideburns. The Doobie Brothers. ABBA.

PRPFX is only about 20% of my vast holdings anyway (i.e., there's enough PRPFX that, if I cashed it out completely, I might be able to buy a cup of coffee for everyone on the ERF. )

- Jack Bogle
Lawrence of Suburbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Suburbia View Post
I don't get the Swiss-specific investments either; seems so, I dunno, 1970s to me - like suits with bell-bottoms, wide ties, and long bushy sideburns. The Doobie Brothers. ABBA.
Though never part of the original 4x25 PP, it made some sense when the Swiss Franc was backed by hard assets -- just like portions of the 4x25 PP were designed to withstand inflation, recession, economic boom and deflation, a Swiss franc component "back in the day" protected against the tanking of the dollar.

But with that no longer being the case -- with the CHF being fiat currency like everything else -- and with the US dollar still continuing to be seen as the "reserve" currency of the world (at least for now), the case for the CHF seems very weak today.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Ahh, it's only a whim (PRPFX) - I still mainly own (supposedly) conservative Vanguard balanced funds named after military heroes of the British Empire. Which, unlike their namesakes, have been getting thumped by Napoleon the Bear.

I thought of assembling the original Browne PP via ETFs, but am too lazy to do that re-balancing every other year or so.

- Jack Bogle
Old 04-04-2009, 02:37 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence of Suburbia View Post
if I cashed it out completely, I might be able to buy a cup of coffee for everyone on the ERF. )
Vente Kona w/big shot of cream, please.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:29 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I followed the link to the data table.
US projected inflation:
2009 -0.4%
2010 0.5%

How do you get hyperinflation from this?

Econbrowser: A Table and a Picture from the OECD Economic Outlook

Free
Old 04-05-2009, 12:23 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free To Canoe View Post
I followed the link to the data table.
US projected inflation:
2009 -0.4%
2010 0.5%

How do you get hyperinflation from this? [...]
I think it's the fear of hyperinflation driving many. And not without reason; the Fed is pumping $trillions into the economy, banks, Detroit etc.; the effects of this have yet to be felt, I think. Most people's only experience of hyperinflation is from reading history (Weimar). Hopefully Bernanke (who is, whatever else he may be, much smarter than I) has got it right. But we're clearly waltzing into uncharted territory, talking trillions where it used to be mere billions. While my biggest single holding is cash, I do have a bit of gold (4% or so) in case the OECD is wrong. I hate holding gold 'cos it's such a lousy investment in normal times; but we seem to have left "normal" times far astern for the moment.

- Jack Bogle