Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I have a fidelity AMEX that's run by FIA, and I get the 2% cash back. I haven't received any notification yet, but I guess it'll be coming to an end, eventually? I knew it seemed too good to be true!
Yep, I have this too and I guess it will get scrapped by getting transferred to BofA and switched to a craptacular cashback rewards program.

Right now I have the CapitalOne Venture card that gives 2% cashback. Catch is that there is an annual fee of $59, but they waived it the first year (and gave me $1100 each for DW and me for sign up bonuses). I don't think I will renew the card. I believe they offer a free card called VentureOne Rewards Card that gives 1.25% cashback. These are Visas. The one catch is that you theoretically have to use the rewards on previously purchased travel or travel purchased via their web portal (at market rates) to get the full redemption rate. In practice, something as simple as a tank of gas is considered travel so you can get reimbursed for a tank of gas every month or two (as you accumulate points).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:28 PM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Originally it was a Schwab Visa run by FIA, then Schwab dropped it and it was just FIA. Today, as I expected, the letter from BofA announcing conversion of my card to a B of A visa eff. 11/1, and the termination of the 2% cash back eff. 10/31. There is a replacement cash rewards program that isn't much. Also, we get a new VISA number which is a big pain.
Even though it no longer makes sense to use the new BOA Visa card because the rewards program is so poor, there is one advantage to keeping it even while switching to a different card for purchases. It qualifies you for their free museum weekends, Museums on Us®.

I will be switching all my automatic payments back to a USAA card that I stopped using (USAA has also worsened the rewards, but not as much as BOA is worsening them). I'll keep the BOA card and make an occasional charge so they don't cancel it.

It was clear that the 2% cash back was not going to last long even back when Schwab was running it. The people with this card are the least likely people dumb enough to pay the finance charges that paid the 2%. It's surprising it lasted as long as it did. 2% is more than Visa gets from the merchant in transaction fees.

Old 09-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms88 View Post
It qualifies you for their free museum weekends, Museums on Us®.

It was clear that the 2% cash back was not going to last long even back when Schwab was running it. The people with this card are the least likely people dumb enough to pay the finance charges that paid the 2%. It's surprising it lasted as long as it did. 2% is more than Visa gets from the merchant in transaction fees.

Could to know about the museums. I actually have two Schwab Visa cards I'll keep the one with high balance and cancel the other. I thought Visa charged between 2-3.5% for transaction for small and medium business Still your point is well taken Schwab customers are not generally the type to incur finance charges.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Could to know about the museums. I actually have two Schwab Visa cards I'll keep the one with high balance and cancel the other. I thought Visa charged between 2-3.5% for transaction for small and medium business Still your point is well taken Schwab customers are not generally the type to incur finance charges.
The program that Costco has for business members is between 1.37% and 1.48% for card-swiped transactions, plus a 12˘-20˘ transaction fee, though rewards cards are slightly higher (but still much less than 2-3.5%). But the issuing bank doesn't get all that money anyway, a large percentage goes to Visa or Mastercard.

In one sense, all these rewards cards drive up the cost of doing business for merchants, but it's now built into the whole pricing structure. It's the cash customers that end up subsidizing all these rewards (along with those people that carry a balance and pay interest).

It was good while it lasted, but all the 2% cards I've ever had have not lasted very long.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
Originally it was a Schwab Visa run by FIA, then Schwab dropped it and it was just FIA. Today, as I expected, the letter from BofA announcing conversion of my card to a B of A visa eff. 11/1, and the termination of the 2% cash back eff. 10/31. There is a replacement cash rewards program that isn't much. Also, we get a new VISA number which is a big pain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
Depending on your spending habits, it may not be the best deal but I use the USAA cash reward Mastercard offering 0.45%-1.25% cash back on all purchases based on how much you charge on your card each year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
I have a fidelity AMEX that's run by FIA, and I get the 2% cash back. I haven't received any notification yet, but I guess it'll be coming to an end, eventually? I knew it seemed too good to be true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPMatt View Post
Ditto- we use the Fidelity AMEX for 2% and also the Chase Freedom for when the 5% deal, which changes every quarter.
Aw, crap. I've been seeing that "BofA" in the URL whenever I log in to FIA, and wondering when this was going to bite me.

The best thing about the Fidelity Amex is using it at Costco. That doubled our 2% rebates when we got the card.

I guess I'll be going back to our USAA MC (I'll never have a credit limit that high ever again), especially for its 1% overseas currency-conversion fee. I wonder who else is offering Amex for Costco... maybe we'll even sign up through Costco.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
.........The best thing about the Fidelity Amex is using it at Costco. That doubled our 2% rebates when we got the card ...........
+1 I feel like I'm pulling off a minor crime when I swipe my Costco AmEx to identify myself, then switch to the Fido AmEx to pay.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:23 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just got an offer for the Chase Freedom card. No annual fee, $300 cash back with first purchase, 5% in specific categories, and 1% for everything else.

Bye bye BoA. The 2% was nice while it lasted!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Fidelity is still offering the 2% AMEX card on their site:

Fidelity Rewards American Express® Cards

Hopefully, this means it won't be discontinued anytime soon.

-ERD50
Old 09-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcityacct View Post
Just got an offer for the Chase Freedom card. No annual fee, $300 cash back with first purchase, 5% in specific categories, and 1% for everything else.

Bye bye BoA. The 2% was nice while it lasted!
From their website:

Foreign Transactions: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.

Ouch. This is what I'm going to miss the most with the Schwab Card. I seem to remember Penfed only charges 1%, but I need to double-check.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
From their website:

Foreign Transactions: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.

Ouch. This is what I'm going to miss the most with the Schwab Card. I seem to remember Penfed only charges 1%, but I need to double-check.
Just looked up Penfed's foreign transaction fee. It's 2%.
Old 09-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I seem to remember Penfed only charges 1%, but I need to double-check.[/FONT]
Quote:
Just looked up Penfed's foreign transaction fee. It's 2%.
USAA's foreign currency fee is only 1%.
https://content.usaa.com/mcontent/st...currency%20fee (page 6 of this 28-page PDF)

Anyone can apply to USAA for a credit card. You don't have to be a member, and you don't have to be military or have a military relative.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:58 AM   #32
Dryer sheet wannabe

So before the schwab card expires...what can we stock up on that will earn the 2% cash back?

I just ordered a whole foods gift card to see if it qualifies. Any other store, gas gift cards? what about prepaid visa cards etc do they qualify for the 2%?

Any outside the box ideas to prepay for stuff on the 2% card? Time to go and buy that emergency food supply kit I have been planning for a while I guess.

phil
Old 09-27-2011, 12:07 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain3d View Post
So before the schwab card expires...what can we stock up on that will earn the 2% cash back?

I just ordered a whole foods gift card to see if it qualifies. Any other store, gas gift cards? what about prepaid visa cards etc do they qualify for the 2%?

Any outside the box ideas to prepay for stuff on the 2% card? Time to go and buy that emergency food supply kit I have been planning for a while I guess.

phil
Recently I had to meet some steep minimum spending requirements for a number of credit card sign up bonuses. Things I prepaid included:

Multiple $500 gift cards for walmart, home depot, lowe's etc. Stuff I spend money on anyway.
Electric bill - had to pay $5 fee but 2% cashback exceeded $5 fee.
Kids lunch money - they take CC's online now.
Water/sewer trash bill - no fee.
Nat Gas bill - no fee for CCs
Internet bill (through cable company)

Now I'm sitting on 3-4 thousand in prepaid bills and gift cards.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

ok so gift cards are not seen as cash advances etc. Great. I will give it a go.

Just a few days left on this great card.

phil
Old 09-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks sms88 - did not know about the Museums options.

BoA card does not look too bad - 2% on groceries, 3% on gas (1% on everything else). So, I actually plan on continuing to use it at least for groceries (where 2% Amex is not accepted) and gas (don't spend enough on gas to get a whole separate card just for gas). And I may also use it for 1% purchases where 2% Amex is not accepted - hopefully just a few places.

Foreign txn fee is a bummer though. Another thing I liked about Schwab / FIA card is the shop-safe online card number generator which would generate new card numbers for you for online (or any other) purchases. Not sure if my new 2% Fidelity Amex card would have that (since it's also an FIA card) or whether BofA would continue to have that option...

P.S. Schwab card benefits continued for over a year after FIA took over - I sure am glad I had not canceled it...
Old 09-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by smjsl View Post
Another thing I liked about Schwab / FIA card is the shop-safe online card number generator which would generate new card numbers for you for online (or any other) purchases.
I've been a Discover card user ever since they were first offered - they may have been among the first cash-back cards - and have used the secure number generator they've offered for the past several years and loved it. Sadly, they sent a notice out recently that this service will be discontinued. Wonder if they are running out of numbers??
Old 09-30-2011, 02:05 PM   #37

Just called to cancel today. Could have waited another month, but I'd just soon get it over with and make the clean break now...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Just called to cancel today. Could have waited another month, but I'd just soon get it over with and make the clean break now...
Since I had two Schwab/FIA/BOA credit cards, I will certainly cancel the one with small credit limit. However the other one has $29K limit, won't canceling it hurt my credit score because I'll be having a higher credit utilization ratio?
Old 09-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Since I had two Schwab/FIA/BOA credit cards, I will certainly cancel the one with small credit limit. However the other one has $29K limit, won't canceling it hurt my credit score because I'll be having a higher credit utilization ratio?
Depends on what your utilization ratio will be without them. If you think your utilization ratio would still be quite low without them, that part of the score won't get hurt:

Credit Card Utilization and Average Credit Scores

For example, our typical usage is less than $3K per month and even after canceling this card we have over $50K in available credit, so we'll still have a utilization ratio well under 10% so I didn't think that would hurt much. Plus, this one was open for less than 3 years and my "average" account was more than 8 years old, so again, I don't see much of a hit.

For what it's worth, I still have one too, but an older account with a higher limit. And the terms on that one didn't change and really aren't any different than what the Schwab card was becoming so I saw no need to have them both -- not to mention I make a better "consumer statement" by canceling this one.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I'll take the BOA Privilege card for the free 1st yr & link it to the BOA HOA checking account I've never used. Then after the years up I'll switch to a Fido card.