How many sources of income do you have?

1) State pension with COLA. Not quite six figures, but it's gradually getting there.
2) Three small pensions, no COLA. They total a very modest $1K/month, but it's better than nothing, LOL.
3) One SocSec benefit (mine). Spouse will claim this year (age 70) but it won't amount to much, he's under the full WEP penalty.
4) Inherited IRA, not a lot as it's now under $80K total
5) Monthly distribution from taxable account - strictly discretionary. Our CFP firm manages it from a tax-friendly strategy, so only 24% of the distribution is taxable.

We have an Amazon Visa so use the rewards/cash back on our purchases, which are numerous. I don't bother totaling that up.

INCOME SOURCES and percentage of total income:

1. Vanguard portfolio dividends, 61%
2. SS taken at age 70, 23%
3. Federal FERS "diet COLA" mini-pension, 10%
4. TSP (~ federal 401K) RMDs, 6%
5. Very minor income like Amazon Visa rewards and bank account interest; didn't bother to add them up or include in total income. These income sources only provide very tiny amounts of fun money.

COMMENTS:

Normally I re-invest my Vanguard dividends, LTCG, and interest, trying to build my portfolio in preparation for possible old age expenses - - - like nursing home or caregiver or medical equipment like a wheelchair if I ever need one, or who-knows-what.

This year I reluctantly took out $20K from my unspent Vanguard dividends :banghead: to pay for my new roof and the unexpectedly insane increases in my insurance premiums. Plan to try harder to LBYM so I don't have to ever do that again!

DW has a small pension and she started SS at age 62. I have small RMDs from an inherited IRA which I mainly use to pay income taxes with. I have been saving a fair amount of cash aside from the rest of our pile to pay for a house, but for almost 8 years we've yet to see one come on the market we're remotely interested in. Since interest rates are up lately, that generates nearly enough cash to cover expenses.

I no longer pick up money on the ground. It is not worth bending my rigid body to pick up a penny, and a $10 bill might be a trap by someone to make a video.

Actually, picking up money of the ground is my exercise program and my fading gut is better for it :LOL:

My pension, spouse's SS at 62, 401(k) equivalents for both of us, my IRA, and my wife's part-time work. Also some savings interest and credit card rewards.

Actually, picking up money of the ground is my exercise program and my fading gut is better for it :LOL:

There's a man I hike with, mostly on urban routes, who takes picking up money from the ground very seriously--and not from being short of it:LOL:.

There's a man I hike with, mostly on urban routes, who takes picking up money from the ground very seriously--and not from being short of it:LOL:.

DW and I pick up Hawaiian nickels when we're out (pop cans and plastic bottles are worth $0.05 each!)

Back when I worked, I used to get up at 5am and go for a 3 mile walk before sunrise. My route took me through a big strip mall near us. I learned to walk across the parking stalls at about the point where someone would open the car door. In the lighted parking lot, coins stood out. I picked up money almost every morning. Found a $20 bill once.

Another trick is to open your car door at the drive through window. Usually there is spare change dropped there either by drivers or fast food workers.

You can also check the coin returns at vending machines and pay phones. :cool:

Another trick is to open your car door at the drive through window. Usually there is spare change dropped there either by drivers or fast food workers.

You can also check the coin returns at vending machines and pay phones. :cool:

What’s a pay phone?

I am pretty geeky when it comes to tracking income and expenses. Some may find it tedious, I enjoy it. I update a spreadsheet once a month over a cup of coffee.

I receive my retirement income from the following:
Tax free interest
Taxable interest
Capital gains
Dividends
eBay
Credit card points in cash
Paid research
A part time W2 job
Cash back apps - 2 of them
RMDs from a small inherited IRA
Asset sales - Facebook Marketplace and such

So a total of 11 sources.

How about you?
I don't keep score. I did that in the 40 years I was working.

DW and I pick up Hawaiian nickels when we're out (pop cans and plastic bottles are worth $0.05 each!)
On a similar note, DW and I take a page from Kramer & Neumann on the old Seinfeld series. We load up in the car garbage bags of empty soda cans and water bottles from NJ (which has no rebate) when we visit our daughter in CT which gives 5¢ per container. But somehow our daughter gets the receipt instead us [emoji848]!!!

On a similar note, DW and I take a page from Kramer & Neumann on the old Seinfeld series. We load up in the car garbage bags of empty soda cans and water bottles from NJ (which has no rebate) when we visit our daughter in CT which gives 5¢ per container. But somehow our daughter gets the receipt instead us [emoji848]!!!

I knew a guy who stole cans from recycling bins and drove them to the next state where he could recycle them. (IIRC he always included a fishing trip.) This guy was a former class mate. DW gave him a j*b at the business - and he took her for $1500. I guess we should have known better (though HE was the one who told us about the cans theft.)

Income Sources

Pension, SS, rental income, royalties, movie sales, book sales, interest income, cash back.

I did to from 2011 to 2020,
when I was having $5k and $10k days, not as much fun lately. :LOL:

I had days like that as well. Of course, some were up but some were down. The old 401(k) was an every day watch back in the day. Now, once a year plus when I do my RMDs.

5 Rental Properties
2 loans to family being paid back
Interest/Dividends from taxable and non-taxable accounts
IRA Withdrawal (mine, Roth converting with RMD at 72, nothing now)
IRA Withdrawal (hers, Roth converting with RMD at 72, nothing now)
Social Security (mine, planning to start at 70)
Social Security (hers)
Future inheritance

In order from largest to smallest -

Tax deferred interest (tIRA, 401k)
Tax free interest (ROTH)
Rental Income
Taxable income (brokerage)
W2s (2x)
Pension
Research gigs/focus groups/online surveys
Credit card cash back/points
Class Action Lawsuit claims (Takata airbag, robo calls, Meta, google, etc.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom