Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2007, 03:34 PM   #41

Not there yet, but right now I imagine myself as a #6. I'm not afraid of getting a part-time j*b at some point if I need a little more cash, but I am afraid of the world (and cost/inflation) of individual health insurance.

Until then, I just max out my 401K and our two Roths, take the 401K company match of $4000 a year, and let it ride...

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2007, 07:18 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh, I should also say #3 for me, fo' sho', (bet you couldn't have guessed if you've read my posts).

Just had a couple of CDs come due. If Ben had just waited three weeks to initiate the "Bernanke Put", I'd be a wealthy man.

Have to settle for lower rates. Maybe it's time to jump into futures trading.
You can't help but make big, quick profits in commodities. Right? Brewer? Nords? HaHa?

Who is Ben B. some may ask.
The Deal: Recent Fed cut is reckless relief - Sep. 28, 2007

Old 09-28-2007, 09:07 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
What about the "pension" hostages? Some of us have to wait 'til a certain "age" to be eligible to bail with pens/bennies? (ie, lowly paid civil cervants...without fat incomes to pad after tax accounts) There are a few of us here too
I'm also in this situation, but I'm also a 6. I have enough to quit now and wait for pension at 62 except for that BIG worry of health insurance which I'd also lose if I quit before 55
Old 09-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about the paranoid that I don't really think I have enough type ? That's me !
Old 09-29-2007, 02:55 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2025 View Post
What about the "pension" hostages? Some of us have to wait 'til a certain "age" to be eligible to bail with pens/bennies? (ie, lowly paid civil cervants...without fat incomes to pad after tax accounts) There are a few of us here too
My wife is in this situation, but I'm ready now - I guess that makes me a 4
Old 09-29-2007, 02:34 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
How about the paranoid that I don't really think I have enough type ? That's me !
It's not paranoid if Mr Market is out to get you. Yeah, yeah I know it's not a person.

Lefthanded, mildy insane, 14th yr as a semi-professional/almost the pro's - ER.

Remember the alternative is W#*k!

heh heh heh - that may be driving the f in my frugal. Remember sanity is overrated! You can be crazy and agile, mobile, and hostile like Bear Bryant's linebacker - when it comes to spending.
Old 09-30-2007, 09:23 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Nord's - Ya forgot the Godfather/Budda enlightenment method - an offer you can't refuse - as in layed off, canned, put out the door - and then while you 'out on the street(in your own mind)' discover that you are adapting/coping fairly well - and sour grapes/enlightenment strikes - piss on it, I ain't working no more.
As noted earlier this year on this very forum, I have but one life month left to give to my country megacorp, then I have to decide what to do the the rest of mi vida loca... At least they're paying me to go away!

Not sure, may have to be dragged back to w*** kicking and screaming...

53, port just crossed $400k, FireCalc shaking it's head...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:00 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
2. Rich's previously-diagnosed "Just One More Year" syndrome. Subsets include:
- Paralysis by analysis ("The real SWR must be 3.289745%, but only with AAA-rated bonds", and "FIRECalc doesn't account for...")
- "But what if the sky falls?" and its alter-ego
- "This must be absolutely positively totally safe or I can't retire. Ever."

And, on a more serious note:
6. Medical hostage. Unfortunately I don't have a flip answer to this problem. If you're working to maintain affordable healthcare for you and/or your family (because you can't get it anywhere else) then you're doing exactly the right thing.

Nords: I'm a no 6 to my "full BS bucket" point. I keep a backup plan if all things go bad at work that will solve no 6. DW understands the issue and has given full support (it includes one option of moving to an adjacent state).

So, on my good days, I practice being a no 2 using FireCalc, 25X expenses, etc. Basically, I'm working for toys, employer paid insurance and rolling the score up more. Otherwise, if the "BS bucket" stays under full and since I've met my FI goals, I await (aka Medical Hostage) until I'm 50 where I can ER and keep our insurance which would run around $1000/mo (today's price).

It took quite a bit of studying to get an effective and feasible plan together for no 6. It is not popular by any means but will get the issue resolved. If you don't have to go there, I would not recommend it by choice. Of course, mine was without choice. You just deal with it best as you can.