Join Early Retirement Today

Experiences with Android Pay?
Old 05-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Experiences with Android Pay?

I was at the market today and the clerk said I could use Android Pay. But I don't know how many people like it to recommend it. Any good or bad experiences with Android Pay?

Reason for the question:
The checkout at the market sometimes goes so fast I feel like I'm holding things up trying to (1) check that the $ numbers look kind of OK, (2) inputting my loyalty card number, (3) making sure the bagging is set up to use my bag (we are in a pay for bag area), (4) making small talk with the clerk, (5) putting in my Visa and remembering to sign the screen and taking the thing out after the beep. Kind of dizzying.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I use it at Trader Joe's and love it. It's fast, simple and really cuts down on the payment time when it comes to chip transactions. Only downfall is not all locations allow you to use it so you still need to have a card on hand just in case.
Greencheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

If your Android happens to be a Samsung, then Samsung Pay offers the most flexibility. It doesn't require a dedicated reader - you just place your phone over the same spot where you would swipe your card.
OddGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:02 AM   #4

If it's anything like Apple Pay (and I imagine it is), then no problems.
Fast, easy, safe.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never had chip card payments take more than 4-5 seconds. How much time can you save having to whip out your phone? I don't even carry mine half the time I leave the house.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greencheese View Post
... It's fast, simple and really cuts down on the payment time when it comes to chip transactions. Only downfall is not all locations allow you to use it so you still need to have a card on hand just in case.
Agree. When I'm at a store that supports it, it is nice. Probably more useful if you live in NYC or SanFran than here in Tennessee ....
Old 05-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try it with my Nexus 6P phone.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's one even better. At Sam's Club, they have an app called "Scan and Go". You scan the CPC of the items you're buying, complete transaction on phone, then just show the phone to CSR as you walk out the building.

Yesterday, at Costco, an elderly lady in front of me took awhile to purchase her one item. Pulled out individual ones, waited for the checker to count it, then went through her purse for change.

For the time being, wife and I will be shopping Sam's Club.
Elbata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #9

Lots of free stuff from promos to use Android Pay. Latest I had was 3x$5 Amex offer credits, Discover also has 10x$5 credits right now which I didn't get (you have to get an email from them about it I think).

I don't bother with it otherwise, don't see the point when I'm only using a couple of cards on a regular basis anyway. It's not any faster in my experience and you have to know who takes it and who doesn't.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
I've never had chip card payments take more than 4-5 seconds. How much time can you save having to whip out your phone? I don't even carry mine half the time I leave the house.
Depends where you are. Rural America we routinely get 30-60 seconds on the good days. Walmart is probably an average 30 seconds, gas stations more like 60.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

I also live in rural America. I was in Target today and a shopper was trying to get her cell phone pay system to work (I didn't notice what type it was). After a couple of failed attempts, I said "why don't you just use a credit card?"

Answer: "This is a lot quicker than a credit card."

Me: "It hasn't worked yet ... how do you know?"
Old 05-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

It took local merchants a while to get it right. About three years ago, using Apple Pay was guaranteed to cause a problem with the cashier at one chain grocery, who apparently was instructed to physically view the credit card.

Now all of the major grocery chains use Apple / Android / Samsung pay, so I just wave my Apple Watch over the keypad and head out of the store.

The big holdout is CVS, which wants me to entrust my credit card number to their app. Not only is their app harder to use than just sticking my credit card into the reader, after the massive data breach they suffered in 2015, I'm not inclined to trust them.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:48 AM   #13

Yeah, there's no way I'm loading up a CC to a retailer's app. It's bad enough that they insist on keeping all that info online (including CVV) when you make a web purchase.

Android, Apple, Samsung pay are all about getting around that per-app nonsense for retail purchases.
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #14

I don't use the Apple pay just because I'm used to swipe or chip. Use one card.

What I do find fascinating is how long MOST chip systems take to process. However, at our Fresh Market you stick the chip card in while they're checking your stuff through and IMMEDIATELY it says remove your card. In and out. What sort of magic are they using no one else does? If everyone else did it this way it would save a good 10-20 seconds per customer per checkout.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmke View Post
Same for me with both American Express & Visa.
As a matter of fact, I'd say 2-4 seconds tops.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:41 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I don't use the Apple pay just because I'm used to swipe or chip. Use one card.

What I do find fascinating is how long MOST chip systems take to process. However, at our Fresh Market you stick the chip card in while they're checking your stuff through and IMMEDIATELY it says remove your card. In and out. What sort of magic are they using no one else does? If everyone else did it this way it would save a good 10-20 seconds per customer per checkout.
I've noticed that too - at several places. I would not be surprised if that is the way the system is designed and people are just used to waiting for the total to "swipe" - could be that the system is ready to validate your card at any point.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:23 AM   #17

I've had issues with the android pay app where my credit cards are "removed" from the app (can't remember the exact terminology they use) randomly and have to be re-instated. Googling the issue, it seems to happen to others too and I couldn't find a solution. I finally just uninstalled the app.

While installed, it worked well except for the issue above.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:46 PM   #18

I was a Lowes today and had several items for the checkout guy in the gardening section. Before he even started I jammed my AMEX card into the slot and the system started validating. By the time he finished ringing up, the signature box popped up automatically (no delay). It would seem that the authorization starts immediately after the card is inserted.