H&R Block Users, How do you input 1099 Payer Tax ID

BWnDallas

Confused about dryer sheets
Question is in title. My first year using this instead of TT, and I am concerned that there is no place to input PAYER tax ID on the 1099 screens. What is the solution other than trying to import the 1099's. I just want to manually input the data and it seems there is no way to do so.

The Chat session live agent asked me if the is the same as the "account number" for which there is an input box. I did not get a satisfactory answer from the support chat or FAQ's on their site.

Anyway, something seems wrong to me so thought I would ask this group.

Thanks

Edit to add I am using the 2023 Deluxe (cheapest) version. The only things I have are 1099's and ACA so I don't need higher versions.

Last edited:
It's right there on top of the form in my version. It's separate from the account.

Its not in my version and during the chat session the agent could not see it either in whatever they were looking at. This bothers me and makes me wonder what else I could be missing. This should not be this hard, and I am pretty sure the Payer TAX id is one of the required elements for reporting these various items.

On the H&R premium 1099 entry pages, only the account numbers were transferred during download. I see a place for the state id, but not federal.

I have never included account numbers in the past and don't see why I would take time to do so. There just is no way to input payer tax ID on my version.

What kind of 1099 are you talking about? In H&RB, 1099-NEC has Payer ID, -DIV and -INT don't and never have as far as I recall.

Note, the IRS has all of your 1099s. If doing taxes manually you don't copy them into some other form - tax software just needs them to for the dollar amounts and categories.

What kind of 1099 are you talking about? In H&RB, 1099-NEC has Payer ID, -DIV and -INT don't and never have as far as I recall.

Note, the IRS has all of your 1099s. If doing taxes manually you don't copy them into some other form - tax software just needs them to for the dollar amounts and categories.

Only a few 1099s required the EIN. I never enter them on Divs and Ints no matter what the software asks for. They aren't required to file. I don't include addresses either and use a very abbreviated payer name to save keystrokes.

I keep telling my fellow TaxAide volunteers that for many entries the EIN and address are not required but they don't trust me, lol. I did 8 returns in 4.5 hours yesterday.

In my usage of H&R Block, only the 1099-R, 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC entries ask for the payers Federal ID number. On other 1099s I have entered (DIV, INT, B) they do not, as it is not required.

EDITED to add correction on 1099-R.

Last edited:
I am on Desktop Deluxe also and do have "Account Number" fields for 1099-INT and 1099-DIV but use those (optionally) to enter my account. I don't have a field EIN of payer and don't think it is required....

In my usage of H&R Block, only the 1099-NEC and 1099-MISC entries ask for the payers Federal ID number. On other 1099s I have entered (DIV, INT, B) they do not, as it is not required.

I believe it is required for 1099-R since these get filed in electronic form with the return

I believe it is required for 1099-R since these get filed in electronic form with the return

You are correct, sorry, my mistake. In H&R Block, for manual entry, there is a field for "Payer's Federal ID" on the 1099-R, 1099-NEC, and 1099-MISC. Is is not on the entry form for 1099-B, 1099-DIV, and 1099-INT.

OK, thanks for all the responses. I have all the various 1099 types so I will just go with what the program allows for each. It seems odd that the payer ID is not needed for IRS behind the scenes matching, and if I remember correctly I always would input this for all form types in TT.

Anyway, thanks again.

Question is in title. My first year using this instead of TT, and I am concerned that there is no place to input PAYER tax ID on the 1099 screens.

The Chat session live agent asked me if the is the same as the "account number" for which there is an input box. I did not get a satisfactory answer from the support chat or FAQ's on their site.

Edit to add I am using the 2023 Deluxe (cheapest) version. The only things I have are 1099's and ACA so I don't need higher versions.

It's right there where you enter the Payee name:
Payers Name
Payers Name (continued)
Payers Federal ID.

Last edited:
Not in my copy
OK, I see the problem.

OP did not specify which 1099. 1099-DIV 1099-INT 1099-R
The screens for Interest and Dividends do not require the payer's Tax ID.
The screen for Retirement payments (i.e. IRA, 401k, etc) DO require the payer's Tax ID.

In any event the payer also sends the appropriate 1099 form info to the IRS so they can match up the payers' data with what the taxpayer submits.

- Rita

OK, I see the problem.

OP did not specify which 1099. 1099-DIV 1099-INT 1099-R
The screens for Interest and Dividends do not require the payer's Tax ID.
The screen for Retirement payments (i.e. IRA, 401k, etc) DO require the payer's Tax ID.

In any event the payer also sends the appropriate 1099 form info to the IRS so they can match up the payers' data with what the taxpayer submits.

- Rita

yes; the matching will take place with 1099-R but obviously not Divs and Int.

I think a separate analysis looks at sum of divs and ints vs. Schedule B entry; and from my experience with the WOPR generated CP letters, that analysis isn't very robust.

The may also try to reconcile 1099-Bs that they have against Schedule D but that isn't perfect either.

In the final accuracy review before e-filing, the program will flag that the TIN numbers are missing on the 1099-R's and prompt you to enter them. Dunno if that was part of a recent update, but it did that for me just now.

Edit to add: the 1099-R's were downloaded from Schwab into HRB.

Back
Top Bottom