Exporting spreadsheet data from Quicken - gah!

spncity

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, I exported the report to an Excel compatible format. But it does not give the choice of .csv format.

Copy and paste to Excel. It puts the headings in a line. And then underneath that, it pastes all other 60 lines of data each to the right of the last one, in one continuous line that goes from here to the next neighborhood.

I know just enough excel to frustrate me.

Does this mean I will now have to go copy each section of data and move it back under the heading?

Thanks.

How was the format described in Quicken? What other options were available. I do not have Quicken but can help if given a couple of details.

There are other options to export. I export reports from Quicken every quarter. Do you have semi current versions of both Quicken and Excel?

I have managed most of the time to copy from a Quicken report in Quicken, selecting the rows of interest, and then paste into a Numbers spreadsheet, just by pasting in one of the cells.

You might play around a bit. I occasionally have the all in one cell problem, but it seems to depend on how I select the rows of data in Quicken.

So, I exported the report to an Excel compatible format. But it does not give the choice of .csv format.

Copy and paste to Excel.
Instead of copy/paste, open the file in Excel.

You'll have to know where Quicken exported the file, and tell Excel how to look for it.

Does that work for you?

I just did it in mine. You save it in an excel format, but that is actually a text file (.TXT). Open excel and then point to and open that file. You will get an excel wizard to parse the data. In that process, it shows how it will look when parsed. In mine, it is a tab delimited file.

Also, before you open it up in excel, open the file with notepad and see what it looks like. It should look pretty close to properly formatted, certainly not one long line.

I have Quicken 2017 (Deluxe for Windows, not sure if that matters) and regularly do this successfully.

Create the report, then choose Export to an Excel compatible format. The default will be to save it as a tab-delimited text file. Do that, but give it a name like report.csv.

Open the file in Excel (I use Libre Office, but it should be very similar). When it gives you all of the import options, be sure to select "Tab" as a delimiter - there should be a checkbox for it in the middle of the window.

You can get fancier than that but that should give you the basic functionality.

Glad that I don't use Quicken :).

I just did it in mine. You save it in an excel format, but that is actually a text file (.TXT). Open excel and then point to and open that file. You will get an excel wizard to parse the data. In that process, it shows how it will look when parsed. In mine, it is a tab delimited file.

Also, before you open it up in excel, open the file with notepad and see what it looks like. It should look pretty close to properly formatted, certainly not one long line.

This is what worked (above). But surely due to the operator, it didn't work the first time, but it did work the second time. Thank you!

And thank you to everyone who replied! Just changing the file name to .csv didn't work, or saying 'open with' did not seem to work. The only choices from Quicken were 1. Export to Excel compatible format (which was a .txt file), 2. Copy report to Clipboard, and 3. Export to PDF format.

This is Quicken Deluxe 2014 for Windows being run on a Mac.

Have you all been told today you are awesome??!!

Glad that I don't use Quicken :).

I hear ya - but the other half does the entering of individual transactions, and I get to do charts and look at pretty pictures of trend lines, so not all bad! :cool:

Oh no - now I can't get it to work with a second file. I guess I'm gonna have to video myself when I do this stuff so I can go back and replicate. :(

I use the 2. Copy Report to Clipboard function and paste into a blank spreadsheet. Easy, aligned, and usually only have to delete a few blank rows.

I use the 2. Copy Report to Clipboard function and paste into a blank spreadsheet. Easy, aligned, and usually only have to delete a few blank rows.

That worked beautifully, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom