Full time employment: Posting here.
Home with flu, watching Suzie - there was a lady who:
- Her hobby was shopping for diamonds
- $230K in credit card debt
- California house with $900k debt in 3 mortgages
- Monthly net income of $9k
- Monthly expenses of $18k
- 9 year old daughter

This house had a pool out back with 2 outdoor LCD TVs on patio, pavers, grill, waterfall, etc.

Suzie was saying "this might be the most extreme case of debt I've had". She recommended "liquidating everything and moving to a 2 bedroom apartment".

The lady was in complete denial - "I can't do that" then she says "where there's a will, there's a way". Completely clueless.

I wonder "how hard it is" to find these nutcake people - and how many are out there.

I saw this too and I was dumbfounded that the woman was oblivious to what needed to be done.
I believe the monthly obligations were $19k month so there was a $10k difference between what was being brought in and was was needed to make the minimum payments on the credit cards and multiple mortgages.
They had already taken a 50% loan out of their 401(k) to stay solvent for another month, that was only $15k so there isn't that much there either.
She just sat there, "uh, huh", "I like my lifestyle"
Suze is sitting there telling her it isn't her lifestyle because she doesn't own any of it.
"Uh, I'll get a job" she says....good luck.

Unbelievable :duh:

I wonder how many people are like that - in that type of trouble and denial

I am impressed that she figured out that her monthly expense exceeded her income. Somebody in true denial would still be clueless.

I wonder how much a 9 year old daughter would fetch in a liquidation sale? It seems cruel to raise a child in such an environment.

The idiot probably will qualify for a Paulson bailout in another month or so.

Well.... some kind of bailout. But I'm afraid at this stage we're talking about Pelosi/Reid bailouts, as that is what they have really been so far.

Home with flu, watching Suzie -I wonder "how hard it is" to find these nutcake people - and how many are out there.

Couldn't you arrange for a few issues of the National Enquirer to be delivered as long as you were feeling punk and looking for that type of entertainment to cheer you up? Why stop half way with Suzie? ;)

I wonder how many people are like that - in that type of trouble and denial

I think quite a few just do not get it . One of my former co workers was like that she continued to shop even after her husband got laid off and they were putting the mortgage on their credit cards . They would fly all over to see their favorite football team play . They had a lavish lifestyle supported by credit.They finally claimed bankruptcy and had their house repossessed .

Moemg, I'm just curious but do you know what happened to the football couple after they lost their house? How do folks like that move forward after they lose everything and are set out in the street?

What is she doing that she has a net 9K/month income but can't subtract?

Is it alimony?

She has a husband living with her. They didn't say what he did - but $9K/month after-tax would suggest he's gotta have some brains.

I don't think she worked - not sure.

I saw that guest.

What is sad is that probably at least 9 out of 10 people would love to make that much money and they made such a disaster out of their lives.

I thought this was like watching financial Jerry Springer.

Jim

Suzie (to producer): Find me a nutcake in extreme debt and denial.
Producer: OK, that's easy.
Suzie: I need to make the viewers think they are better off than they really are.
Producer: Yep, I have just the woman for you.
Suzie: Make sure we can have her on the show when she declares bankruptcy.
Producer: But how do we make the viewers sympathetic to her?
Suzie: WTF? We want the viewers to create buzz on internet forums, so we get free advertising!
Producer: I like it.

I am impressed that she figured out that her monthly expense exceeded her income. Somebody in true denial would still be clueless.
I think Suze bottom-fishes for her customers by having the credit-card companies turn them in. Or maybe she tells the debt collectors that she'll feature their worst cases on her show and give them a little something toward a payback plan.

Or... is it possible that this woman called in for a segment of "Can I afford it?!?" In that case she's just masochistic.

I wonder how much a 9 year old daughter would fetch in a liquidation sale? It seems cruel to raise a child in such an environment.
Oprah had an interesting segment the other day (perhaps a followup on affluent spending & teen entitlement) where parents are breaking the news to their kids that there won't be a 60" TV and an SUV under the tree this year. Underwear, socks, and an orange.

Someone said an orange for Christmas. Reminds me as a real youngin about putting cloves in oranges for a holiday dresser Christmas gift.

Sorry I got nothing to add on the crazy Suze guest.

My little thumbs are still sore :(

Moemg, I'm just curious but do you know what happened to the football couple after they lost their house? How do folks like that move forward after they lose everything and are set out in the street?

Well it is like a soap opera , she started a new job and a new affair so they ended up divorced . She is currently living with the new guy . The husband is back with his parents and the kids are confused .

I have to believe that the woman was a paid actor, playing the part of what was scripted for her.

I guess I didn't know you could have 3 mortgages....and I wonder why CC companies keep giving her more credit...she'll never stop until somebody shuts her off.

That's what I was wondering - who are the morons making the loans?

This sounds like the "Fred & Francine" couple we know. They've had a great time the last 20 years but the next 20 look kind of bleak since they're now $700k in debt.

I guess I didn't know you could have 3 mortgages....and I wonder why CC companies keep giving her more credit...she'll never stop until somebody shuts her off.

Well, duh!

I have to believe that the woman was a paid actor, playing the part of what was scripted for her.

It is, after all, television. (where even "news" programs -- or segments -- are quite often works of fiction.)

What I figured (could be wrong) while watching her was that she has built her self- worth (and somehow raised her above what she felt about herself and above other people) by surrounding herself with pretty expensive things. Giving up these things are out of the question since her whole self-image and self-worth is wrapped up in it. I don't think this is that uncommon although people usually aren't as delusional as her.

One thing I was glad to hear Suze say was that they couldn't file for bankruptcy since they(her husband) made too much money.

tmm

I saw the show too, and I know several people exactly like her,although their $$$ delusions are not on such a grand scale. But they are completely out of touch financially, and, coincidentally?, they now live or were from California. I'm afraid that the movie biz really sets a high standard in California. It's a weird world out there.

Back
Top Bottom