Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2014, 10:02 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

AARP gets 15% off the check at Denney's. It's a good deal (the discount, not AARP).

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2014, 11:11 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not a senior discount but I like Entertainment book coupons. They have many buy one lunch or dinner get one free coupons. We go out 2 - 3 times a week to all sorts of nice ethnic restaurants, usually at lunch, and it doesn't cost too much more than eating at home, even with tax and tip on the pre-discount amount.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:14 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When you get a discount, it can be given back as a better tip. If you camp at a reduced rate, find a worthy family and share your best treats.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Why should a 67 year old couple that owns a 26 foot motor home pay cheaper national park fees than a 40 year old couple tent camping with kids?
Why should a 67 year old couple that owns a 26 foot motor home pay cheaper national park fees than a 40 58 year old couple tent camping with kids with exactly the same motor home?

Old 07-17-2014, 07:07 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I fail to understand why wealthy 60+ folks should get a discount on anything that a 30-35 yrs old headed family of 4 scraping by doesn't. Wrong to me.
Merchants rarely do this for altruistic reasons. They do it to attract business. 60+ folks are a large and growing market, and typically have more disposable income that 30-35 year olds.

Here is a contrasting discount - the restaurants and hotels that offer kids eat/stay free discounts. They obviously do this to attract younger families with kids. This is not a discount most over 60 would qualify for.

I don't seek these discounts but I don't refuse them if offered. If one feels guilty about it, just pay it forward. For example, anonymous pay a family's dining bill at a restaurant you received a discount for, Or anonymously drop a gift card for a store in a family's mailbox.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

For National Parks, The Great Smoky Mountains National Park offers a great deal - free admission to all. Back in the 1930s, when the state of Tennessee transferred ownership of their portion of the main park road to the federal government, it stipulated that "no toll or license fee shall ever be imposed…" to travel the road.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Why should a 67 year old couple that owns a 26 foot motor home pay cheaper national park fees than a 40 58 year old couple tent camping with kids with exactly the same motor home?

Because they've been taxes nine years longer?
Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

If a place like Home Depot can give a 10% discount to all military in a military town and 10% to seniors and 10% on Thursdays then they are overpriced by 10%
Old 07-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
+1
Back to the topic, I have enjoyed getting senior discounts at theater, museums and some restaurants. I have even been discounted when traveling abroad.
Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised the first time DH got a discount to some attraction on one of our trips to Europe. Many times they apply only to residents; I'm fine with that. Seniors who have the ability to travel abroad probably aren't hurting for money!

I realized I need to own up to seizing one senior discount as soon as it was available to me- the gym at the community center. I'm there a lot. I think one of the reasons that businesses/organizations offer them is that we can show up at off-peak hours and days. That would explain a lot of early-bird restaurant deals, the local grocery store that offers 10% off on Wednesdays, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
AARP gets 15% off the check at Denney's. It's a good deal (the discount, not AARP).
Not into Denney's at all- their menu seems to celebrate overeating.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:01 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lists and business change, but that said, here is a good link to all sorts of discounts:
Hundreds of Senior Discounts for Frugal Retirees and Citizens Age 50 or Older
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

Take half home in a doggy bag. Then the discount is even better.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

They have healthy menu items and do a good job at those. I like the breakfast special that generally include a fruit cup, oatmeal and a veggie omelette made with egg whites.

And like dtbach stated, you can take 1/2 home for later.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I get the spinach salad on the 2-4-6-8 menu or the grilled chicken on the Senior menu at Denny's. Denny's is one of DH's fav restaurants. He is a cheap date. The kids complain when they travel with DH and sometimes I don't go along, that is the only place he wants to go, but he has pointed out they don't have to get grilled cheese or burgers and fries - they could order a salad and soup or grilled chicken and veggie sides.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
If a place like Home Depot can give a 10% discount to all military in a military town and 10% to seniors and 10% on Thursdays then they are overpriced by 10%
Sure.

So, we finally got their store charge card, and used it to get 5% off in our recent purchases for home improvement projects. Only 1/2 of the enchilada, but better than none.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Sure. Only 1/2 of the enchilada
You can also buy 10% off coupons to Lowe's on eBay for ~$2 each. That will save the 'full' enchilada
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 04:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg V View Post

As far as whether we "deserve" discounts? It isn't about deserving them. Merchants offer them for their own business reasons, whether you're a Veteran, Senior, Credit Union member, AAA Member, have some sort of Corporate Group code, etc. Why would the consumer be wrong in accepting a deal on a good or service openly offered by a business, whether or not it comes through a better retail price, a sale, or a discount?

Just another view to add to the mix...
And a sensible view, in my opinion. I'm eligible for both senior and military discounts. I ask for them when I check out. If the establishment offers them, I happily accept. If they don't, no big deal. I don't feel like I'm taking advantage of anyone or cheapening myself by using them (although I admit I could have profited from them more when I was in my 30's with a young family and relatively modest pay.)

For those in the New England area, Dunkin' Donuts offers a 10% discount. Or, you can buy a large coffee and get a free donut. (But I can't drink that much coffee at once and I rarely eat donuts.)

In the Boston Metro area, a Senior Charlie Card gets you $1.25 rides on the T (price just went up from $1 on July 1) and a good discount on the Commuter Rail.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #37

[QUOTE=friar1610;1472427]
(and I rarely eat donuts.)

QUOTE]

I rarely eat only ONE donut...

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #38

The best and most sizable senior discount for me is for my property tax.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingB View Post
The best and most sizable senior discount for me is for my property tax.

I had been looking forward to getting our state's homestead exemption on property tax at age 65. Unfortunately, it was recently changed to only be for seniors with income under $30,500, so we will not qualify. It would have been worth about $500/yr.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-20-2014, 08:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Merchants rarely do this for altruistic reasons. They do it to attract business. 60+ folks are a large and growing market, and typically have more disposable income that 30-35 year olds.

Here is a contrasting discount - the restaurants and hotels that offer kids eat/stay free discounts. They obviously do this to attract younger families with kids. This is not a discount most over 60 would qualify for.
so who is more likely to be influenced by a discount - someone with less or more disposable income?

The kids discount isn't age specific.