Fed Tax E File Rejected - somebody already filed using my SS number - what to do?

Fed Tax E File Rejected - somebody already filed using my SS number - what to...

My kid filed Feb 14 and she got her money last week. No eFile.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

The IRS (actually social security which forwards it, w-2) does not get W-2 or 1099 info until 3/31. so if you file before they have no way of checking. You get the forms earlier so that corrections if needed can be made before they are sent to the IRS.
That's the timing of the form, which I agree is probably what's written into law. But from a logical perspective*, my real, hard-earned dollars are in an account somewhere that the IRS must be keeping track of. Maybe it's not 100% accurate for everyone due to some rare payroll glitch, but I stand by my "milliseconds" opinion that it would take that long to determine if the withholding balance on the return was significantly higher than what is in the withholding account.

*There I go again, using the words "logic" and "law" in the same paragraph :facepalm:

I tell you this....the scum who steal other people's identity or commit fraud...if caught and found guilty should be EXECUTED!

Stocks and pillory; perhaps in front of Walmart might be quite effective ;)

Stocks and pillory; perhaps in front of Walmart might be quite effective ;)

Additionally, throw in an assortment of Singapore canes and we could have a very effective justice system with cost savings to the taxpayer as an added benefit. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's the timing of the form, which I agree is probably what's written into law. But from a logical perspective*, my real, hard-earned dollars are in an account somewhere that the IRS must be keeping track of. Maybe it's not 100% accurate for everyone due to some rare payroll glitch, but I stand by my "milliseconds" opinion that it would take that long to determine if the withholding balance on the return was significantly higher than what is in the withholding account.:facepalm:
Sensational,

I think you may misunderstand how this works. My understanding is that the employer makes periodic payments to the IRS throughout the year but it is all done under their EIN number -- no employee numbers are part of the payments.

It is only at the end of the year when the W2's go out that the payments are broken up and reported on an individual basis -- therefore no millisecond checking would be possible under this scenario.

-gauss

Additionally, throw in an assortment of Singapore canes

... and ask for volunteers to wield them. Free labor for the justice system, free opportunities to work on upper body strength for the volunteers, free entertainment for the observers. Where are the negatives here? :D

Sensational,

I think you may misunderstand how this works. My understanding is that the employer makes periodic payments to the IRS throughout the year but it is all done under their EIN number -- no employee numbers are part of the payments.

It is only at the end of the year when the W2's go out that the payments are broken up and reported on an individual basis -- therefore no millisecond checking would be possible under this scenario.

-gauss

This explains why you have to enclose a copy of your w-2 or 1099 with your return, because that is the only way the IRS knows how much was withheld by you. If you put the delay in (no refunds before april 15) then the IRS would not need that information.

The fastest way to get the right answer is to jump out there with an incorrect assumption, hehe! Thanks for straightening me out sir. So although the IRS holds my money, it's not held in my name. :nonono:

I filed on Feb 29th and signed up for a text alert when direct deposit is on the way. No text alert yet, but the IRS made the deposit to my account 3 days ago. I just happened to get online and check my bank balance today. My state refund came yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

This explains why you have to enclose a copy of your w-2 or 1099 with your return, because that is the only way the IRS knows how much was withheld by you. If you put the delay in (no refunds before april 15) then the IRS would not need that information.

If you efile do you attach w2? I don't efile but I thought the info is just entered manually.

If you efile do you attach w2? I don't efile but I thought the info is just entered manually.

You don't attach a W2 when e-filing, you can enter the info manually or import it from one of the payroll companies that support imports, such as ADP.

If you efile, you do not attach a paper W2.
You put the data in manually typically. I'm not sure if some programs can download W2 data. Some programs will download 1099 data from some sources.

I would not think attaching a W2 would help prevent fraud. It would be easy to print a fake one.

No, no submission of W2 with eFile. That's clearly something that broke going to eFile, since the IRS used to rely on an attached W2 with paper filing.

Yes, W2s could be faked, but that's a lot more work suddenly.

.Link? Never heard of multiple refunds going to a single address. I heard the thieves employ numerous friends and relatives all with a different names and addresses. .....

IRS Sent $46,378,040 in Refunds to 23,994 ‘Unauthorized’ Aliens at 1 Atlanta Address

"CNSNews.com) - The Internal Revenue Service sent 23,994 tax refunds worth a combined $46,378,040 to “unauthorized” alien workers who all used the same address in Atlanta, Ga., in 2011, according to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA)."

Here is one link out to many, and it was done 5 years ago, plenty of time to fix this stupidity..

I'm glad I didn't try to get the special IP PIN for identity theft victims.

Getting IP PIN provides more security than not having one, for the reasons Brian Krebs mentioned in his comments to that article - thieves do not know that you have the PIN when they file so it gets rejected, and it's still an additional layer of security that has to be hacked to get your return approved.

Yes, it was insanely stupid of the IRS to allow website access to these PINs with easy to guess questions (they should have re-sent it via mail as others have mentioned). But getting an IP PIN is still not a bad idea to help prevent ID theft via tax filing, and the wife and I both have them because GA is a huge fraudster state.

Last edited:
... and ask for volunteers to wield them. Free labor for the justice system, free opportunities to work on upper body strength for the volunteers, free entertainment for the observers. Where are the negatives here? :D

Oh, there's probably some silly law against it. Otherwise I like the idea too.

Back
Top Bottom