feeling peevish

ronin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Got a teacher, new to our office complex this year, who has in the past doled out literature, business cards, etc. to the staff for her side business: financial services. I have been content to transfer said material directly to the round file without comment, although I think it is unprofessional (try to keep my yap shut and do my job).

Today she comes in with a brochure for me, glossy financial "newsletter" piece o'crap with her mug in the upper corner and financial analyst underneath. One article on SWR actually shows a picture of 2 old farts with drinks in their hands grinning on top of the graph line out 25 years at 5%. The 7% line zeros out underneath them; all it's missing is a bag lady spooning out the dog food.

Now the thing is, this lady is dumber than dirt. When she opens her mouth, she is guaranteed to embarrass herself (not to mention the tonal quality is fingernails on chalkboard). So I do a little digging, look at her web site, follow the link to the mother-ship, some company franchising out this home business selling insurance products to suckers friends, relatives and apparently co-workers, and now my steam is starting to rise. So rather than go next door and give her the beat down that would do the world a favor, I thought I'd open the bleed valve here instead.

As much as I value avoidance and procrastination, one of these days I'll have to ask her to cease and desist with the soft sell, in the kindly, professional manner that I use with pests and idiots. Maybe I'll show her a graph of the likelihood that she'll ever sell to me, complete with snowballs melting in hell and me with a devilish grin. :D

You say "teacher" and then you say "office complex." I'm confused. Is this person a teacher bringing her side-job business literature into a school and handing it out in the office or :confused:??

If that's the case, an anonymous note to the Dist Superintendent will bring it to a quick halt. When you write the note, keep your personal feelings toward her (you don't like her voice, you think she's dumb) out if it. Just state that the teacher shouldn't be promoting her business within the school.

Sound like you have another big reason to look forward to ER!

ronin said:
GOne article on SWR actually shows a picture of 2 old farts with drinks in their hands grinning on top of the graph line out 25 years at 5%. The 7% line zeros out underneath them; all it's missing is a bag lady spooning out the dog food.

While I do not know the entire picture, this is certainly information that most people could use. I cannot count the people who think 8-12% is a SWR in retirement. While most here may consider 5% to high, other would agree it is acceptable and it is certainly not ridiculous.

I guess the question that comes to my mind for her is, "Why in the world would anyone hire a "financial analyst" who can't even make a full time living at the business, when there are many many more experienced, qualified people out there? How can she be staying current with the industry when she works as a teacher? What are her qualifications? Does she have a degree in finance?"

But then why encourage her?

Continue your avoidance routine.

And follow Telly's simple three-step method:

1) Reposition your wastebasket so it can be seen more easily.

2) Crunch up a few pages of newspaper to fill your wastebasket up.

3) Set the offending brochure, face up, on top of the refuse.

Repeat procedure as needed!

youbet said:
You say "teacher" and then you say "office complex." I'm confused. Is this person a teacher bringing her side-job business literature into a school and handing it out in the office

Yes. Am not, have never been and don't intend to become a rat. ;)

bbuzzard said:
While I do not know the entire picture, this is certainly information that most people could use. I cannot count the people who think 8-12% is a SWR in retirement. While most here may consider 5% to high, other would agree it is acceptable and it is certainly not ridiculous.

Agree. Don't know how I lived this long without the Variable Universal Life product touted in the next paragraph. :(

Sheryl said:
How can she be staying current with the industry when she works as a teacher?...

But then why encourage her?

Exactly. One of the worst teachers I've seen in 30 years. Students hate her, other teachers can't stand her, stuck her with us because we are out of the way and are the district dumping grounds for rejects (hey, what does that say about me). Potential clients are advised on her web site to leave a message as she is always out on appointments advising her clientele. Huh, I thought she was working her day job. :confused:

Telly said:
Continue your avoidance routine.

And follow Telly's simple three-step method:

1) Reposition your wastebasket so it can be seen more easily.

2) Crunch up a few pages of newspaper to fill your wastebasket up.

3) Set the offending brochure, face up, on top of the refuse.

Repeat procedure as needed!

Telly, you're the man! (or not, if you are female?).

ronin said:
Got a teacher, new to our office complex this year, who has in the past doled out literature, business cards, etc. to the staff for her side business: financial services. I have been content to transfer said material directly to the round file without comment, although I think it is unprofessional (try to keep my yap shut and do my job).

Today she comes in with a brochure for me, glossy financial "newsletter" piece o'crap with her mug in the upper corner and financial analyst underneath. One article on SWR actually shows a picture of 2 old farts with drinks in their hands grinning on top of the graph line out 25 years at 5%. The 7% line zeros out underneath them; all it's missing is a bag lady spooning out the dog food.

Now the thing is, this lady is dumber than dirt. When she opens her mouth, she is guaranteed to embarrass herself (not to mention the tonal quality is fingernails on chalkboard). So I do a little digging, look at her web site, follow the link to the mother-ship, some company franchising out this home business selling insurance products to suckers friends, relatives and apparently co-workers, and now my steam is starting to rise. So rather than go next door and give her the beat down that would do the world a favor, I thought I'd open the bleed valve here instead.

As much as I value avoidance and procrastination, one of these days I'll have to ask her to cease and desist with the soft sell, in the kindly, professional manner that I use with pests and idiots. Maybe I'll show her a graph of the likelihood that she'll ever sell to me, complete with snowballs melting in hell and me with a devilish grin. :D

Sounds like a Primerica rep........... :LOL: :LOL:

Primerica, wow! I kept wondering how long before that name came up. Seriously, FinanceDude should start a seperate thread on them.....I have experiences to post.

Ronin........please please please kindly and professionally(sp) tell this pest to delete you from her distribution route as you have no need of these services......if she persists you should inform management. In the meantime, feel free to vent here anytime you feel the need! :D

A copy of the glossy flyer might "somehow" find its way to some higher-up who would look unkindly upon said flyer? In the meantime you might take aside any of the potential "clients" that you care about and make sure they know that this kind of investment advice is unlikely to be in their best interests.

ladelfina said:
A copy of the glossy flyer might "somehow" find its way to some higher-up who would look unkindly upon said flyer? In the meantime you might take aside any of the potential "clients" that you care about and make sure they know that this kind of investment advice is unlikely to be in their best interests.

I don't see it as "investment advice"...........more like: "We know what's best for you, and it's insurance"............. :D

Is it possible that there are non-idiots that work within these types of companies whose actual goals are to help the people they encounter? I am asking because I want to be a (as I've been all my life) responsible person who actually cares about the people I set out to help, and not about my own paycheck when it's all said and done.

excellent said:
Is it possible that there are non-idiots that work within these types of companies whose actual goals are to help the people they encounter?

Certainly most of the employees are "non-idiots" and many may have a sincere wish to help others. Problem is they have drunk the Kool-Aid been convinced by the company the products they sell really are good for people when they are a ripoff.

You're 19 years old. Forget about selling insurance for now. Go chase girls and live a little. ;)

REWahoo! said:
Certainly most of the employees are "non-idiots" and many may have a sincere wish to help others. Problem is they have drunk the Kool-Aid been convinced by the company the products they sell really are good for people when they are a ripoff.

You're 19 years old. Forget about selling insurance for now. Go chase girls and live a little. ;)

Good advice.....listen to the sage.......... :D

ronin said:
Am not, have never been and don't intend to become a rat. ;)
Good for you Ronin. This doesn't need the intervention of management. Tell her off if she really gets to you, or organize a group cold shoulder. Tell Big Nurse? Never. ;)

As an aside comment to Sheryl, did Soros or Buffet ever have a degree in finance ?

poyet said:
As an aside comment to Sheryl, did Soros or Buffet ever have a degree in finance ?
Buffett has a master's in economics. I think he studied the same for his undergraduate degree, but this was in the late '40s/early '50s.

Thanks Nords for the info with regards to Buffet, as an enthusiast Berkshire owner I should have anticipated that you would know everything about him. I had read a bio and yes I kind of remember that he earned a degree in economics, but not finance (which was more specifically the topic).

On the other hand, Soros's life is an unbelievable story and just to mention a hint, he was dismissed very early in his working life from a menial job he had landed as a jewish immigrant from central europe in a financial institution (in the UK if I remember well) lead by his co-religious fellows for not being very capable to add up reliably numbers... He reports that as the chance he was given as he had to really wonder what he was capable of ! This is from memory, but the story of his life is worth reading (I enjoyed it very much in any case) and he certainly did not have a degree in finance...

BTW, if having a degree in finance was enough to make a fortune it would be known, but I concur with Sheryl, it is certainly good to reassure clients, but not enough to make their assets proper.

poyet said:
BTW, if having a degree in finance was enough to make a fortune it would be known, but I concur with Sheryl, it is certainly good to reassure clients, but not enough to make their assets proper.

I wasn't implying that everyone with skill in financial advising must or should have a degree, but in reference to the OP, absent any other demonstration of her abilities I would look for at least that as a starting point.

The only financial advisor I ever used was the ex-owner of a ski shop. He got "let go" by Merrill Lynch because he didn't toe the party line... but had a lot of good common sense things to say and actually taught me to understand a few things, rather than just selling me "products."

Back
Top Bottom