Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Another FIDO fan here. We have ⅔ of our portfolio there, the rest at Vanguard.
My personal FIDO rep is a great guy, but I only chat with him about once a year. Most recently, I had some concerns about the rebalancing I do every spring, and he gave me some very good ideas which I'll implement.

I don't think I'll ever want to use their asset management services (or any other), but for normal brokerage service they really can't be beat IMHO. I hear Schwab is excellent too, but I've never used them.
Hello brau, curious, if you'd care to share, what your concerns with rebalancing were?

Thanks,
Pete
psweath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by psweath View Post
Hello brau, curious, if you'd care to share, what your concerns with rebalancing were?
Nothing you're probably not aware of.

I mentioned that I was concerned about the tax implications of big RMDs combined with taking SS benefits at 70. Obviously, I'm gradually converting TIRA money to Roth until then, but it still looks like a tax hit.

My friendly FIDO rep suggested moving the fixed income percentage of the total portfolio more heavily into the TIRA, which should help it to not grow as quickly. Obviously, that's more tax efficient now as well, but I hadn't considered the growth aspect. Pretty basic stuff.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone know if Vanguard's or Fidelity's fees change for managing a trust compared to managing a portfolio? My in-law's set up a trust for my wife and they charge more than I'm reading on these pages. Should I contact them to see if the fees can be reduced?
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
Anyone know if Vanguard's or Fidelity's fees change for managing a trust compared to managing a portfolio? My in-law's set up a trust for my wife and they charge more than I'm reading on these pages. Should I contact them to see if the fees can be reduced?
Don't know the answer but definitely ask.

The last year of DFs life he used an independent advisor that just did Fidelity. I called, pretending to be cold calling, rate shopping. Well caller id gave me away and I was greated as being my Father's son.

Well I asked and was told if DF or POA called, they would reduce his fee. Never knew how much, or if it ever got done.
MRG
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting how loyal long term customers always get the worst rates in everything. Years ago when I had the whole family on Sprint with teenage kids, the cell phone bills were always outlandish. Every time I called them they reduced the amount that was owed that month, usually without much demanding on my part. Recently reduced my auto, home insurance payments substantially with a few phone calls to insurance agent. Been with him for over 20 years, but a phone call suggests you might go somewhere else. Next call will be to the cable company.

My suggestion is to always call and ask for a rate reduction. You won't ever be worse off than you were before the call, and very likely to be better off. You are in the catbird positon here.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nothing you're probably not aware of.

I mentioned that I was concerned about the tax implications of big RMDs combined with taking SS benefits at 70. Obviously, I'm gradually converting TIRA money to Roth until then, but it still looks like a tax hit.

My friendly FIDO rep suggested moving the fixed income percentage of the total portfolio more heavily into the TIRA, which should help it to not grow as quickly. Obviously, that's more tax efficient now as well, but I hadn't considered the growth aspect. Pretty basic stuff.
I just met w/my FIDO rep today to discuss among other things, the 2 year window we have to convert to ROTH when DH retires this time next year. Did some number crunching which confirmed that we should convert as much as possible as we'll be in the 28% bracket once all SS and RMDs kick in.

She did suggest one other thing we hadn't considered. To have our CPA run the numbers for the next 2 years (as we do our taxes) and also include maximizing charitable giving as we calculate how much to convert before we hit the top of 28%. She will rerun the numbers once she gets that info from the CPA. We are in the (unfortunate?) situation of having 2/3 of our assets in tax advantaged accounts and really need to reduce those as much as possible before RMDs kick in. She ran the RIP both with and without the Roth conversions and the numbers were telling...at minimum with markets doing poorly, we'll be ahead $1M with the conversion and if the markets do well $3M+.

She good me thinks.
TrvlBug is offline   Reply With Quote