Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2016, 09:17 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets
FIREmenow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I also set them up from the Fidelity site, and I would recommend setting up the Card Not Present alert, so you can get a text and/or an e-mail if card is used but not present (phone or internet use). Works slick. Used card online at Macy's Saturday and got a text maybe 10 seconds after placing order online informing me amount and merchant. I chose both e-mail and text.
Do any of you guys use your cards for EVERYTHING? I do this - absolutely everything. I buy a .69 cent cup of coffee - it goes on my credit card. I get weird looks - but hey, its another dollar towards cash back. I get about three pages of transactions every month.

So in getting a text and/or email for every single one of these - will it become a huge pain? Or is the pain worth the protection anyway?

If you set the limit as a big number - what good does this do? Last few times my number was taken, they put a $7.23 charge on it or something to check and see if it was good. Besides, if you're not liable for unauth. charges anyway, what difference does the amount make?

Just thinking through.....
__________________

__________________
FIREmenow is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.
Cobra9777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Mine showed up without doing anything. It just appeared along with the old FIA card. So right now it shows both accounts....
In Full View? Mine showed up in the credit card section of Fidelity's website as well as main page summary, etc. But not in Full View. After my exchange with mathjak, I called Fidelity and the rep confirmed that the Elan cards must be set up as an external account in Full View, after setting up login credentials and security questions at Elan Cardmember Services. I also checked and my FIA cards were set up same way, as external accounts with my FIA login credentials and security questions.

Can you confirm that your Elan account showed up in Full View?
__________________

__________________
Retired at 52 in July 2013. On to better things...

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Do any of you guys use your cards for EVERYTHING? I do this - absolutely everything. I buy a .69 cent cup of coffee - it goes on my credit card. I get weird looks - but hey, its another dollar towards cash back. I get about three pages of transactions every month.

So in getting a text and/or email for every single one of these - will it become a huge pain? Or is the pain worth the protection anyway?

If you set the limit as a big number - what good does this do? Last few times my number was taken, they put a $7.23 charge on it or something to check and see if it was good. Besides, if you're not liable for unauth. charges anyway, what difference does the amount make?

Just thinking through.....
I use mine for everything, just like you.
You ONLY get an e-mail and/or text if your card is not swiped, like online or by phone. So only once in a while do you get anything. HTH
__________________
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets
FIREmenow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J View Post
I use mine for everything, just like you.
You ONLY get an e-mail and/or text if your card is not used, like online or by phone. So only once in a while do you get anything. HTH
Oh.... DUH!
__________________
FIREmenow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
In Full View? Mine showed up in the credit card section of Fidelity's website as well as main page summary, etc. But not in Full View. After my exchange with mathjak, I called Fidelity and the rep confirmed that the Elan cards must be set up as an external account in Full View, after setting up login credentials and security questions at Elan Cardmember Services. I also checked and my FIA cards were set up same way, as external accounts with my FIA login credentials and security questions.

Can you confirm that your Elan account showed up in Full View?
Sorry, you are right. I was thinking the account summary. I don't track the CC in Full View, but it automatically popped up in account summary page. My bad. Sorry.
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:28 PM   #86
Full time employment: Posting here.
Cobra9777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I used to use Full View but I have found Personal Capital to be the most functional implementation of Yodlee software available. I don't use their investment service, but as long as the software works, I will use it...
I used Personal Capital for quite some time after dropping Quicken. It was a very good tool with great potential. I've posted lots of positive comments about it on this forum. However, I closed the account after multiple issues with accounts failing to update correctly. Lots of weird issues like random duplicate transactions and no ability to manually delete the duplicate. The final straw was when it failed to update at all after I added 2FA (VIP Access) to my Fidelity accounts. After over a month of submitting trouble tickets and email with their support team, it never got resolved. At that point, I didn't trust the security.

Since most of our accounts are at Fidelity, I feel more secure doing account aggregation there. We just have a few external accounts. Full View is far from perfect but it just plain works and does everything I need. I might try Personal Capital again at some point in the future. I recall that the interface was much better than Full View. And I really like the detailed drill-down into asset allocation and other portfolio analytics.
__________________
Retired at 52 in July 2013. On to better things...

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 17,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Sorry, you are right. I was thinking the account summary. I don't track the CC in Full View, but it automatically popped up in account summary page. My bad. Sorry.
I was confused by this as well. I never noticed the "Full View" link on the Fidelity accounts page, I thought people were talking about some external app, or something to do with Quicken or something. But there it was, all this time I guess!

It looks handy though. I can link DW's Fidelity 403B and IRA and see them all w/o a separate login - that's nice. I'm trying to get my Costco Citi Visa to show up on there, I might have it, but I've been having some run around trying to get access to those two cards together, so I will wait to see if things settle down before I dig further.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:00 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 719
I spent an hour and a half last night and two hours this morning with Full View. I last used Full View extensively around 8 years ago, and a lot has changed. I ended up doing a lot of account deletions, which was very frustrating because the system would hang up in mid-deletion and I had to start over again. I was able to add the rentals as real estate and associate mortgages, which was not possible in the old version.

My legacy Computershare accounts loaded in Full View, but Computershare does not play nice with Personal Capital. T Rowe Price works with Personal Capital but not Full View. Still having problems with two on-line banks.

I am concerned about the long term viability of Personal Capital, which is why I revived Full View. If I ever need to talk to my Fido rep, the accounts and allocation will be available to both of us.

I was too aggravated to play with the Full View functions this morning. Maybe later...
__________________
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 PM   #89
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: MSP
Posts: 262
Just noticed that within the last 24hrs, the Amex card dropped off my accounts page at Fidelity so it's Elan Visa all the way now. At the same time, my existing rewards balance seems to have carried over without a hitch.
__________________
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
Just noticed that within the last 24hrs, the Amex card dropped off my accounts page at Fidelity so it's Elan Visa all the way now. At the same time, my existing rewards balance seems to have carried over without a hitch.
Me too.
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:45 PM   #91
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 14,058
Interesting. The final account merge is on the 26th. The 22nd for old card to no longer be usable.

Now I'm really glad I saved a snapshot of my old account a few days ago.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:56 AM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,017
so far as of this morning no transfer of points yet but i can no longer access anything in fia card services . it tells me i have no accounts .
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #93
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 20
Anyone have any idea what will happen to a refund credited to the AMEX card after the switchover date? I assume they would have to support it and pass it over to the new card, but I've never had a card force switched from one bank to another either.
__________________
Droo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:41 AM   #94
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
so far as of this morning no transfer of points yet but i can no longer access anything in fia card services . it tells me i have no accounts .
Look at "my account", then the "rewards" tab. It should show the carryover points. It least it does on in my account.
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droo View Post
Anyone have any idea what will happen to a refund credited to the AMEX card after the switchover date? I assume they would have to support it and pass it over to the new card, but I've never had a card force switched from one bank to another either.
to funny , i too had a 2 buck credit laying on the amex card . waiting to see what happens
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:45 AM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Look at "my account", then the "rewards" tab. It should show the carryover points. It least it does on in my account.
no points shown yet
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 AM   #97
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 821
Here is a screen shot of the page showing the points.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (224.2 KB, 17 views)
__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:32 AM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,017
i show my old points before i redeemed them on that page but when you click on next is says zero points . i still have a few hundred left
__________________
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:16 AM   #99
Full time employment: Posting here.
Cobra9777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Look at "my account", then the "rewards" tab. It should show the carryover points. It least it does on in my account.
Are you sure that's not just what you've earned so far on the new card? That's what it is for me. On the reward tab, the reward points shown is exactly 2X my month-to-date spend on the new card. There's clearly been no reward transfer yet from the FIA card. Like mathjak, when I click "next", there is zero reward balance. And there's no reward balance or history shown on Fidelity's website.

According to the published schedule, old cards could be used through July 22. Accounts would be closed and no longer accessible online on July 23. All balances, rewards, and transaction history will be moved on July 26, and viewable online by July 27. I suppose it's possible they're doing the transfers in phases, with July 26 being the date they expect to be complete.

For me, nothing has transferred yet from FIA to Elan. As expected, the two FIA card accounts are gone from Fidelity's website. I can still login to FIA but that's because I have an old non-Fidelity, sock-drawered VISA account there. The two Fidelity card accounts are clearly gone from the FIA site.

One of the two FIA accounts has an unpaid balance that I'm expecting to be transferred to Elan. Right now, when I look at the Elan account in Fidelity, the available credit plus current balance does not equal my credit limit. It's off by the exact amount of the unpaid balance on the FIA card. Also no transfer in the Elan transaction detail. So there's clearly been no balance transfer yet. No transfer of rewards or transaction history either.
__________________
Retired at 52 in July 2013. On to better things...

AA: 45% stock, 35% bonds, 15% real estate, 5% cash
Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:27 AM   #100
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
Are you sure that's not just what you've earned so far on the new card? That's what it is for me. On the reward tab, the reward points shown is exactly 2X my month-to-date spend on the new card. There's clearly been no reward transfer yet from the FIA card. Like mathjak, when I click "next", there is zero reward balance. And there's no reward balance or history shown on Fidelity's website.

According to the published schedule, old cards could be used through July 22. Accounts would be closed and no longer accessible online on July 23. All balances, rewards, and transaction history will be moved on July 26, and viewable online by July 27. I suppose it's possible they're doing the transfers in phases, with July 26 being the date they expect to be complete.

For me, nothing has transferred yet from FIA to Elan. As expected, the two FIA card accounts are gone from Fidelity's website. I can still login to FIA but that's because I have an old non-Fidelity, sock-drawered VISA account there. The two Fidelity card accounts are clearly gone from the FIA site.

One of the two FIA accounts has an unpaid balance that I'm expecting to be transferred to Elan. Right now, when I look at the Elan account in Fidelity, the available credit plus current balance does not equal my credit limit. It's off by the exact amount of the unpaid balance on the FIA card. Also no transfer in the Elan transaction detail. So there's clearly been no balance transfer yet. No transfer of rewards or transaction history either.
The math doesn't work, if that is the case. It is closer to the 2% X the balance from the old card. I am sure it will all workout in the short term.
__________________

__________________
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holding non-fidelity funds at fidelity panhead FIRE and Money 16 05-02-2013 07:37 AM
Fidelity offering Apple Gift Cards for new deposits panacea Other topics 17 02-23-2012 06:55 AM
Fidelity Replacement Income or VG Managed Payout TONASKET Stock Picking and Market Strategy 5 07-18-2010 09:58 PM
Garage Door Replacement gwix98 Other topics 16 05-21-2006 11:33 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.