Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 05:50 AM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

What babysitting do you have to do? Do you not look at your electric bill every month? Your cable bill? Just because you put a payment on autopayment doesnt absolve you from checking on it to make sure its correct. If you can't monitor your own financials, who will?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2016, 06:10 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is not just for the OP, but a good reminder for everyone, there are so many monitoring tools these days we all need to take advantage of them. Payment alerts, billing alerts, use of your credit card, etc. I get an email for almost every transaction. Takes 2 seconds to review and delete...from anywhere in the world. Use the technology that is made available to us. Trust, but verify.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:20 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When I moved a few months ago(primary home) I not only set up a forwarding address with the PO, I notified all concerned of my new address. I have a a vacation condo I have taxes to pay and other bills at that location. Although most are paid via draft, I notified them of my new billing address because I didn't want to have something fall into the cracks. Sometimes even when doing that.....crap happens.

I sympathize with the OP. Never fun getting a mess corrected.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:03 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have not paid the amount owed yet, use that as leverage to fix your credit... Get the bank to remove all the dings to the credit agencies when you pay the amount owed.

Also, is your auto-payment with the bank? Or do you just have an auto-payment sent to them? I have my auto payment set up with my mortgage provider and when my escrow goes up or down, my payment also changes. You may want to look into move the auto-pay to to the mortgage holder and have them withdraw instead of sending them a check..
Old 08-05-2016, 08:55 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
This is not just for the OP, but a good reminder for everyone, there are so many monitoring tools these days we all need to take advantage of them. Payment alerts, billing alerts, use of your credit card, etc. I get an email for almost every transaction. Takes 2 seconds to review and delete...from anywhere in the world.
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
If you have not paid the amount owed yet, use that as leverage to fix your credit... Get the bank to remove all the dings to the credit agencies when you pay the amount owed.
Seriously? That's the way you operate with lenders ("I'll pay you back the money I owe, IF you agree to a new term I retroactively impose")?
Old 08-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #46

Question for the OP -

When you found out about the change in escrow - did you offer to make up the amount you owe? Have you been making the correct mortgage payments in the mean time? That isn't clear from your posts....

You posted here in February about this - and I'm surprised it isn't closer to resolution in the past 6 months.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Question for the OP -

When you found out about the change in escrow - did you offer to make up the amount you owe? Have you been making the correct mortgage payments in the mean time? That isn't clear from your posts....

You posted here in February about this - and I'm surprised it isn't closer to resolution in the past 6 months.
Ahhh, I didn't recall that old thread. Might have been better for OP to post there for some continuity.

So very curious - what has gone on in 6 months? He just seems to be repeating here?

And this post from previous thread totally confuses me:

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Yes we paid...they cashed...then they said they tried to mail checks back to us...but they supposedly went to wrong address.

If they cashed your checks, what checks were they trying to mail back to you? None of this is making any sense.

-ERD50
Old 08-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #48

I don't think we are getting the whole story.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:28 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
That's why we had our mortgage with our hometown bank, the main office of which (it only has 4 offices) is three blocks from our house. They never sell mortgages to other lenders. So if there was ever a problem, I could just walk on over and talk to them in person.
I did the same thing for much the same reasons when I refinanced for lower interest rates. Local bank, half-dozen or so branches, and while I didn't know the bank president, I did know all of their fraud investigators. Oh, and it was a 10-minute drive to the closest branch but I could live with that.

About 10 years later they changed their policy and did sell the mortgage but by then we were debating whether to pay off the house and that settled the question. We paid it off. Good thing too! The new bank was a mess, as we found out when we began inquiring why the lien had not been cleared. That took about six months - the box containing our file was stored in a hallway.

The first mortgage had been with some national bank and they were consistently late sending the checks for the house insurance and property taxes, and I'd get nastygrams from the insurance company and the County. When I refinanced with the local bank I asked it if was required that I escrow those fees. It was not, so I just paid them directly myself from then on. It wasn't hard to "guesstimate" what the amounts would be and I didn't get any surprises.

Clearly this is not a solution for the "paycheck-to-paycheck" lifestyle but it worked for me.
Old 08-05-2016, 08:09 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
This is not just for the OP, but a good reminder for everyone, there are so many monitoring tools these days we all need to take advantage of them. Payment alerts, billing alerts, use of your credit card, etc. I get an email for almost every transaction. Takes 2 seconds to review and delete...from anywhere in the world. Use the technology that is made available to us. Trust, but verify.
I agree, make use of the tools that are available. Hopefully they'll become a little more customizable or at least more useful in the future. For example, I don't need an alert to tell me I missed a payment. I need an alert that will tell me my payment is due tomorrow (or in a few days) and I haven't yet scheduled a payment. But overall, the alerts are a good idea. I don't get quite as many as every transaction, but I do get quite a few. As you say, it's a matter of seconds to peruse and delete (or file) them.

Also, control of your finances is equally important. I never do escrow. It's my money, my bills, and my responsibility to pay them and keep track of them. While I do use autopay on a few repeating cost bills, I still check the value when the bill comes in and file the receipt after the autopay.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

We paid the missing escrow immediately andvupdated our payment moving forward. also had to pay attorney fees, inspection fees, late charges, etc. We have never been late on any payment to anyone ever...except to this due to issues. They cashed our payments and put in unapplied funds then sent refund checks in mail out to wrong address so we had no idea of any of this going on until we logged in to website to get missing tax doc. Hey cheesehead...what exactly do you keep thinking Im leaving out or trying to hide? You're a prime candidate for a fifththird customer service job. We signed up for alerts with fifththird and never got a single one, we updated our address multiple times but they're systems are so screwed up they couldn't get it done or the data was overwritten...we didn't even have an option to have two addresses online but yet mailings still went to old address, phone numbers updated and overwritten with 999-999-9999 and only old numbers non longer listed anywhere were called. They are a mess. We could have monitored more online...they also could have not failed at absolutely everything...in the end I dont think our perfect credit should be trashed over what clearly was not late/missed payments. We're out thousands, have been lied to from virtually everyone we have talked to at the bank, stressed, spent days trying to fight it, etc...its just not right but live and learn I suppose.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 08-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... They cashed our payments and put in unapplied funds then sent refund checks in mail out to wrong address ...
Can you explain what this means? I don't understand cashing the checks, then 'unapplied funds' and sending refund checks? Why were they sending refund checks if you owed money?? What are 'unapplied funds', I'm not familiar with that term?

Quote:
Hey cheesehead...what exactly do you keep thinking Im leaving out or trying to hide?
I'm not cheesehead, but stuff like the above. Just seems like missing pieces. Also curious that you posted this in another thread 6 months ago, then complain about the same thing with no update on what happened in between. It all sounds rather odd to some of us ...

Quote:
We could have monitored more online...
Right. Trust but verify. And don't trust anyone or business until you have a history with them. But still verify, but maybe on a little more lax schedule.
Quote:
... live and learn I suppose.
Now you're talkin' !

-ERD50
Old 08-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #53

Quote:
We paid the missing escrow immediately andvupdated our payment moving forward. also had to pay attorney fees, inspection fees, late charges, etc. We have never been late on any payment to anyone ever...except to this due to issues. They cashed our payments and put in unapplied funds then sent refund checks in mail out to wrong address so we had no idea of any of this going on until we logged in to website to get missing tax doc. Hey cheesehead...what exactly do you keep thinking Im leaving out or trying to hide? You're a prime candidate for a fifththird customer service job. We signed up for alerts with fifththird and never got a single one, we updated our address multiple times but they're systems are so screwed up they couldn't get it done or the data was overwritten...we didn't even have an option to have two addresses online but yet mailings still went to old address, phone numbers updated and overwritten with 999-999-9999 and only old numbers non longer listed anywhere were called. They are a mess. We could have monitored more online...they also could have not failed at absolutely everything...in the end I dont think our perfect credit should be trashed over what clearly was not late/missed payments. We're out thousands, have been lied to from virtually everyone we have talked to at the bank, stressed, spent days trying to fight it, etc...its just not right but live and learn I suppose.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Just the fact you got my name wrong (with a more or less open book test) tells me you've let a few other details slip as well.
Your story is void of clarity and some factual exaggeration. You also have exhibited aggression and some displays of a lapse of intelligence, so what are we supposed to surmise other than you are partially to blame here and you took to this forum twice (though you overlooked the first time) to bash this bank.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #54

Closed Thread