Financial news on t.v.?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Do you have a favorite financial news channel you watch regularly?
Which one do you feel gives you the most accurate information in a concise form:

1. FBN (Fox Business News) example: "Money for Breakfast"
2. CNBW (Worldwide News) example: "European Power Lunch"
3. CNBC example: "Squawk Box"
4. BTV (Bloomberg) example: "Morning Call"
5. MNBC example: "Morning Joe"

I tend to like bloomberg the best, although I make it a habit not to watch any of this stuff. I find that BB TV is the least sensationalist.

I actually watch none of it. They seem a little short sighted for my view of what investing is. I invest not trade so they are worthless.

i like CNBC the best for entertainment value. Becky Quick and the rest of the team have some great chemistry. in fact all the shows on CNBC have good chemistry between the anchors.

for news value, they are all the same. people think bloomberg is so serious, but almost every anchor is a hot chick asking the same stupid questions to fund managers most of whom will never give up their strategy on national TV. and 3/4 of the screen being taken up by the financial data is annoying. Only Bloomberg show i like is On the Economy which is a podcast as well.

FBN is horrible along with the other business shows on the regular Fox news channel

I just watch it for entertainment, and entertaining it is!! I don't buy and sell individual stocks at all, much less on a daily basis, since I am more inclined towards mutual funds for the long term. Still, it's fun to watch these shows sometimes (especially when nothing else is on).

I guess I watch CNBC the most, but that's because I haven't seen the others and didn't know that they existed. Fast Money is hilarious because they talk so fast!! Cramer is funny too, though I seldom come across his show. The one show that I actually look for on CNBC and seriously enjoy is Suze Orman on Saturday night. Suze makes me think and often (though not always) her advice is pretty sensible. Of course, I wouldn't blindly follow her advice or that of anybody else. Nobody cares about my money as much as I do.

I watch a lot of CNBC, but it's for

a) entertainment mostly and
b) I prefer the business spin on national/world news to CNN or the main networks evening news shows. It's less emotional and sensational and they don't constantly talk about the latest celebs or airplane crash or court case or fugitive from justice.

But I still glean useful stuff. They occasionally have a good guest on for an interview. Steve Liesman (sp?) economist often has something interesting to say. They very, very occasionally go into depth on something and it is interesting.

Mostly, though, it seems either like rah, rah or doom, doom market fluff. Just noise.

Audrey

Last edited:
CNBC reminds me of the the saying - It is like a tale told by a fool, full of sound and fury and signifying nothing. But I do get a kick out of Cramer (for about 2 minutes) and I like the Larry Kudlow show but I am beginning to think he is full of s__t also.

No need to watch any financial news on TV. One can read all they need on the web. I like the free stuff at the WSJ, NYTimes, Reuters and Bloomberg. Some stuff at cbsmarketwatch.com is reasonable as well.

Not good: commentary at fool.com, moneycentral.msn.com, money.cnn.com, etc.

CNBC reminds me of the the saying - It is like a tale told by a fool, full of sound and fury and signifying nothing. But I do get a kick out of Cramer (for about 2 minutes) and I like the Larry Kudlow show but I am beginning to think he is full of s__t also.

cramer was good when he started, but now he's old. he was fun to watch because his show was so different. but he flip flops so much it's hard to keep track and gets very boring after a while.

Larry has a lot better guests, even if he tries to deny we are in economic trouble. Herb is always a good guest and Arthur Laffer finally admitted he is bearish now even if the other guests still dream of Pompolona

my favorite used to be Ron Insana. Someone i know nicknamed him The Guru because he always seemed to know what he was talking about even if he was full of s__t all the time

I wish I could tolerate Cramer, but he gets on my nerves really fast with all the yelling.
I like to have one of the shows on when I read the Wall St. Journal and regular paper each morning in my fantasy that something will sink in subconsciously, I guess. Usually Bloomberg. I do pick up little things here and there like today when the guest (I forgot what analyst he was) suggested Ross, which is a wholesaler of women's clothing. If you don't live in a major metro, you don't know Ross, but it is set-up like T.J. Maxx--only much cheaper. I bought a bundle from Ross while in Houston (the home of the greatest discounters in America!). Yeah, made sense that in a tight market people would do more shopping at Ross = their stock stays the course and is a good buy. I could see that one being realistic--especially in a down market.
For net reading I have been doing Marketwatch and the WSJ.com sites, but am adding Bloomberg, Reuters and NY Times per LOL!'s suggestion. Thank you, LOL!

Can't stand any of them. Too much focus on today and tomorrow. Too much shouting. Too much
emotion. What little interesting data they provide can be digested much more quickly online. When
I spend days at home on the computer I either have music or a dvd on.

I actually watch none of it. They seem a little short sighted for my view of what investing is. I invest not trade so they are worthless.

......I don't buy and sell individual stocks at all, much less on a daily basis, since I am more inclined towards mutual funds for the long term.......

The one show that I actually look for on CNBC and seriously enjoy is Suze Orman on Saturday night. Suze makes me think and often (though not always) her advice is pretty sensible. Of course, I wouldn't blindly follow her advice or that of anybody else. Nobody cares about my money as much as I do.

Yeah, same here.....I seldom watch any of it. As far as equities, everything I have is in mutual funds.....no individual stocks. Anything I want to know about I can almost always find on the 'net while watching Gunsmoke or Bonanza on TVLand. :)

I occasionally watch Suze.....but not very often, and seldom see the entire show. Heck, Saturday nights I usually watch the music programs on RFD-TV until 9pm, then watch the news at 9pm (WGN Chicago), RFD-TV again 'til 11pm, and then I watch the Grand Ol' Opry......after that I watch the inside of my eyelids! :D

Suze Orman is to financial planning as Kiyosaki is to real estate investing as Cramer is to securities analysis.

Excuse me, I need to go vomit now.

I'm reserving judgment (NOT) about Suze until I retire and find time to "dine" at her old place of employment, the Buttercup Cafe which is still there at Jack London Square in Oakland. Looks like a classic all-American diner, don't know how greasy.

I'll admit I do skim her books (from the library) to see what she is all about, nothing new there.

Suze Orman is to financial planning as Kiyosaki is to real estate investing as Cramer is to securities analysis.

Excuse me, I need to go vomit now.

Read some info about her, she is a failed financial advisor that to her credit was smart enough to get on the talk show and seminar and book tour..........;)

She IS about the FIRST one, along with Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard, to get on the "get out of debt" bandwagon...........;)

As a non-trader, all this daily financial stuff is just fluff. I do, however, like listening to MarketWatch with Kai Risdail on NPR. He has a great voice and always interesting subjects. His musical intermissions are really great, too.

I do miss Louis Rukeyer, just for the sheer pomposity of it all.

Not exactly financial news, but along the self-help lines of Suzie Orman.

Big Spender, with Larry Wingett was fascinating to watch. Like watching a train wreck unfold itself. So many stupid people, so little time.

I watched CNBC a lot for several years and owned 20-30 individual stocks for those years. But I eventually realized, like most people here probably did before me, most of what they are reporting is just noise in the market to fill air time. When they spend a half hour or more digging into why the DJIA went up or down 10 points on a given day (with a straight face no less), you have to realize it's all a waste of your time about 350 days each year. The various manager's are only there to sell you on themselves and therefore their funds etc. It can be entertaining, but even that aspect gets tiresome eventually.
You're better off doing your own research without any of the nonsense on TV, especially these days when everything you could want is on the internet. Most of us had to trudge to libraries or pay for expensive (often worthless) newsletters/papers/magazines before. It's delightfully easy nowadays...and I'm a W Bernstein style investor so it's really easy for me. And I'm making more than I ever did when I was a "sophisticated" trader. But your mileage may vary...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom