Financial Planner

Well he didn't ask for my social security number, but since he wanted my last two years of tax returns....and since he was clearly surprised by my blacking out items on the few documents he did look at... And he didn't say he wanted the deed to the house or title to car - but said ownership documents related to real estate and vehicles - so I assumed that was what he meant. As far as I was concerned, if he didn't believe I owned my house and car, I didn't care. He didn't look for them anyway. I didn't bring them anyway. He didn't even ask me if I owned my home until I was walking out the door, and didn't ask about my car at all.

Honestly, the only free classes I get invited to are during the day from those traveling people, held at hotels, and usually involve option trading or real estate and since I know they are sales pitches I have never bitten. Not the way I want to use my leave time.

This class has been offered through the Continuing Ed Program 2x per semester for years, along with another one offered by a woman on the topic of Real Estate Planning. I really did believe it would be a normal class and that I could get a free assessment - I guess dumb on my part. I wanted to take one of the retirement classes because of my more recent obsession being eligible for the pension at work in a tad over a year. It was "Live 5 Years for Free" that tipped the hat as to which one I chose. I would figure by the number of people there that he makes about $100/hr teaching the class - so well it may not be massive to some - doesn't seem like a bad take to me.

The week before I had taken a class on how to choose a scanner - and I thought that class was very good - didn't have to pay extra for the handouts and the teacher gave us his website and phone number if we had any questions later. He doesn't sell scanners and wasn't pushing any particular brand - just specifications.

He doesn't sell scanners and wasn't pushing any particular brand - just specifications.

There you are.

Dont feel bad for having been fooled. It happens to lots of people all the time.

I'm sorry it didnt go well for you. You had reasonable expectations. Communicate the failure of expectations to someone in charge. It may not make a difference, but you'll git 'er done. :)

That having been said, I made a ton of hay by speaking at community events and trade shows about stuff while only talking about specifications and why they were crucial. Specifications that could only be effectilvely met by my products and services.

Although I wicked screwed up the last time I did because there was a really hot chick in the front row that I kept "selling" to. She knew it, her friend knew it, and so did everyone else...its dang embarrassing when you're making an obvious sales move and 3000 people are watching and making commentary... ;)

You know, the local community college runs an 8 week class on getting ready for retirement. The instructor -- a financial planner for Raymond James. BUT! It is not a sales pitch, it does provide basic education to each couple enrolled on the various components to consider when planning for retirement, and there is a free consultation and financial plan available from the instructor, if you want to divulge details.

I took the class, and provided financial details and met with the instructor. Of course, this part of the 'class' was after the sessions were over and was a way to garner clients for the firm. But, I found the canned financial plan fairly comprehensive and for $100 (the cost of the classes), well you couldn't beat an hour with a FP who was only discussing your finances and not what to invest in, or why his firm was the best and only firm that could help you.

-- Rita

Back
Top Bottom