FIRE success rate

I was at 100% using FIRECALC as well as other calculators. With the current increase to the portfolio is says I could spend more. I won't spend more for now as I see that as a "cushion" if there is a pull back in the market.

90%+ was close enough for me to take the risk, if you look at my intro most people on here disagreed, we are now at 97.2%. I figure I have a long time and many factors that will impact the numbers over time and I can adjust.

I have no idea what SS or health care or inflation will look like 20-25 years from now, but I do know I'll still be better off than most of America which is good enough for me.

There is still upside in our plan, a potential for some inheritance, honey is working part-time which funds his pet projects that he thinks will make passive income on eventually, and better tax planning.

You may want to run a lot of scenarios and see how much variation is there.
For example, for my specifics, $20K was the difference between 94.1 and 96.1% as it knocks out 2 failed cycles, so sure no problem I can work and save $20K more and now I'm magically above 95%. We have $100K more before we hit 100%, but again, SS changes or taxes or anything else, that could drop below 100%, I'm not worried about it, so I keep my car one more year or skip a vacation one year, etc.

I often am less worried about the 90/95/100% and more worried about the Expense # being padded enough.

I totally agree with this too. What makes me feel better is not the percentage on the firecalc, but the fact that I could easily cut $40k out of our budget and still be able to travel and lead a decent life. In fact, I would almost look forward to this, spending money gives me less and less pleasure, but at 46 with three young kids I am at peak consumption probably.

I was at 100% when I finally FIREd but that was primarily because I stayed several years beyond my FI date (i still liked what I was doing - until I didn't). Just for fun, I occasionally figure my 30 year FIRE % and find I'm still at 100% almost 13 years later. Of course, 30 years for me puts me at age 100, so it's probably an academic exercise at best. Still, I know a lady soon turning 102 and several others in their late 90s. The men, well, not as many, but still quite a few in the early 90s. YMMV

Most people seem to wait until their portfolio grows to be big enough to support their desired lifestyle, making allowances for SS, pensions, etc. as well. I approached it from the other end. I really didn't feel working any more. It just didn't seem like an attractive option compared to the majestic glory of doing what I wanted, when I wanted. Therefore, I found a way to limit my expenditure to a level that allowed me to feel comfortable with the long-term sustainability of my finances. Many would look at my modest lifestyle and think of it as some type of self-imposed torture, but it's paradise compared to having to get up 5 days a week and do what somebody else tells me to do for 40 hours a week, or more. Why on earth would anyone take that option? :D

The level I chose was a 2.4% WR. It's now at 2%, not counting future SS, which would seem to be very solidly at 100%, unless the proverbial asteroid hits. Which, of course, it could. I mean, you never know. In the words of Cake, from the song "Sheep Go To Heaven",

"As soon as you're born, you start dying,
So you might as well have a good time."

Last edited:

I often am less worried about the 90/95/100% and more worried about the Expense # being padded enough.

This right Here!

I have scrubbed my proposed retirement budget several times looking for things I have missed. I believe I am pretty dialed in now including a hobby, travel (modest) and charity budget, and significant healthcare budget leading up to age 65.. Then I add another $4k to that. I will be set up with emergency funds for new roof/well/major plumbing, etc. but what else? I probably won't know unless and until what else pops up.

I guess I'm over 100%. My main retirement tool is the Fidelity retirement planner. In it, it defaults to using a "significantly below average" market as the base assumption. You can change it to "below average" and "average", but I am 100% using the significantly below average assumption. Like others, I was more focused on my expenses and since I padded them, I felt pretty comfortable with the plan. Note, that my comfort level is that I believe I can meet my basic needs - food, housing and healthcare. I've planned for better, but that's all I'm "worried" about. If it gets to where I can't meet my basic needs, we're all going to be in a bit of hurt. Personally, I'm confident we'll do fine.

If I include pensions and SS (which we are currently not taking) in firecalc, we are at less than a 2% WR. So, something north of 100%, hopefully.

So how low a success rate using the FIRE calculator would you take and pull the trigger?

Were you at 100%? 90%? 80%? Lower?

In FIRECalc I went with 100% but made sure to include Social Security (with a haircut) and some spending cuts when Medicare kicks in and when the go-slow and no-go years arrive.

In the Monte Carlo calculators I want to see >90%. They tend to generate a much wider spread of outcomes than history and mathematically their worst cases will reflect down markets lasting for 40 years. If that happens you have more to worry about than your portfolio!

I was at 100% ....where in Firecalc would it indicate 200% or 150% as some posts have stated? mine said "0 cycles failed" :::confused:::

lol
i'm not sure what you're saying...spit it out!

I know what "pulling someones leg" means...I just am not getting your point or I'm missing the humor in it...anyway...yeah..was at 100% and market increase has buffered that as well

80% and I would sleep very easily. If fate started to pull me down the unfortunate 20%, all I’d have to do is slash discretionary spending and perhaps try to monetize a hobby. Weather the storm for a few years, perhaps even a decade, and then proceed with my prodigal ways.

I would assume that 200% in FIRECALC means that they could double their net living expenses amount and still see 0 cycles of failure. That is a normal way to estimate where you are for all other calculators that I have used. RIP does not give a percentage of success or cycles, just the age at where you would run out of money, for instance. So if you project age 95, and are not negative in net worth, than you are at 100%. Make it 110, and it shows all savings gone. What percent success rate is that?

As mentioned by others, it is really only more useful for those that have to live entirely off of paper investments due to no pension and RE so early that SS is a minor amount in the budget. I would gather from reading this forum that the FIRE posters that pulled the trigger in their 40s and early 50s and no pension HAD to figure based on no SS, at the time because there was none and the amount that would be “guaranteed “ was pretty unknown when figuring 15-20+ years down the road.

In many ways, for many it is totally academic. If I had to, and DW was dead, and all my savings were gone, I could still LIVE easily on just my pension and SS, just not at the level I desired and used for the calculators. But if someone can’t live decently on $86k a year, with reduced taxes and no FICA/MED deductions then the problem is with them. Plenty of people live their whole life, with families, never making that much. So while I could technically say my current success rate is infinite, that is based on lots of black swan scenarios not occuring, none of which are covered by any calculator.

My BIL, a retired LEO at 53, retired 4 years ago, and never did a calculation in his entire life. He just knew/assumed that he could easily live on his pension forever, and when SS kicked in, that was more insurance. He barely scratches his savings, which are super conservatively invested, for a new truck or boat, only beating inflation because of the bull. He wouldn’t know how to invest nor does he care.

Last edited:
80% and I would sleep very easily. If fate started to pull me down the unfortunate 20%, all I’d have to do is slash discretionary spending and perhaps try to monetize a hobby. Weather the storm for a few years, perhaps even a decade, and then proceed with my prodigal ways.

Have you ever actually modeled that in FIRECalc?

I have, and I think you'll find it takes really deep cuts for a very long time to make much difference. For a very rough view, consider that if we have a market crash of 50%, cutting spending from 5% to 2% is almost noise in that kind of a drop.

It might be hard to monetize a hobby in the midst of a recession/depression.

None of that means I think you are "wrong" for using an 80% number. Odds are in your favor, so if the 20% scenarios do not come to pass, the more conservative among us will kind of look like suckers. As long as you have a plan and understand the risks, it might be 100% the correct approach for you.

A lot of it boils down to what each of us calls 'discretionary'. I live a comfortable, but IMO, not an extravagant life style. I don't like to think of any of it as 'discretionary' - I don't want to cut anything. But if the stuff hits the fan, I'll find a way to be happy spending far less - the only other choice is to be a grumpy (grumpier?) old man.

-ERD50

We didn't use a calculator. We have 2 pensions. We will get tiny SS in the future (WEP). I still work p.t. not because I have too. We have plenty of discretionary expenses we could cut if necessary.

Mega Corp announced incentivized RIF.
I found FireCalc and first run through said 83% or so.
RIP said I might run out of money at about 86 years old.
I called my manager and said if he needs to drop someone I would be willing to take the hit.

Turned out I had under estimated SS so FireCalc bumped to 90% success on second iteration. (That was to 84 years old.)

100%, well actually more than that but the FIRECal speedometer was pegged....

ditto

now in retirement and at under 2.5% WR ( mostly under 2%) [and not yet pulling SS, so WR might go lower]

in my long planning (started before 2000), I’d looked at possibilities of low returns (sub 2%real) and even (short term) negative returns as part of the plan
like others, assumed very low returns, no COLA’s and still found it worked
the only failure mode was for extended higher (5+%) inflation , which caused problems— but i also didn’t model increased bond returns as a partial offset (which might have made it pass for the whole timeframe examined)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom