Join Early Retirement Today

FIREd!
Old 05-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

FIREd!

Some folks know how to take advantage of a sudden windfall. I'm guessing there were no "just one more year" or "but what will we DO all day?" conversations around the dinner table...

Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error: New Zealand institution mistakenly deposited $6.1 million into account

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The error here, IMO, is that retiring is never a mistake.

No problemo, that part of the world has some pretty famous jails, I've heard, no cash required and they will take care of the "what to do today" question.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Some folks know how to take advantage of a sudden windfall. I'm guessing there were no "just one more year" or "but what will we DO all day?" conversations around the dinner table...

Couple withdraws money, flees after bank error: New Zealand institution mistakenly deposited $6.1 million into account
ReWahoo,

Did it happen on their 100th ATM withdrawal?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #4

Your linky no worky.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Your linky no worky.
Quirky. Me fixy.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medit8 View Post
ReWahoo,

Did it happen on their 100th ATM withdrawal?
Not sure - but I do know it was their final one.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The problem with an opportunistic crime like this is that the culprits simply reacted -- they didn't have time to think it through. They will go down.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
The problem with an opportunistic crime like this is that the culprits simply reacted -- they didn't have time to think it through. They will go down.
In all the stories I've heard like this, I don't know of a single substantial bank error that was not eventually figured out and reversed. Yet some people take the money and spend it as if they won't be found out.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If they had the passports handy, I hear there are a few South American countries that would be glad to let them be there forever!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
If they had the passports handy, I hear there are a few South American countries that would be glad to let them be there forever!
for $6 million, I'd let them stay in my country!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:04 PM   #11

Withdrew "some of the money?" Like how much? I'd not chance it unless it was several million+.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:49 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In all the stories I've heard like this, I don't know of a single substantial bank error that was not eventually figured out and reversed.
I hope you realize the error of your logic here, Ziggy. If the bank error were not figured out, you wouldn't know about it.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I had a bank error in my favor for a few hundred bucks close to 10 years ago. It was a counter deposit from a few counties over into my account. They never found out, and I accidentally forgot to notify anyone.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #14

I guess finders keepers wont work here eh...muahah..ahem..cough...
Old 05-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I had a bank error in my favor for a few hundred bucks close to 10 years ago. It was a counter deposit from a few counties over into my account. They never found out, and I accidentally forgot to notify anyone.
OMG, your post just popped up on a Google search. Good luck with that, lam.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
OMG, your post just popped up on a Google search. Good luck with that, lam.
Well, I lie half the time and I don't tell the truth the rest of the time. The statute of limitations has ran. And the money is still there, plus interest, if they ever want it. I'm not trying to abscond with it. Yet.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:28 PM   #17

Just remember the real criminals are never caught, like Milton from Office Space. The most I have ever gotten double credited for was $40 in a stock reinvestment plan that I found 2 years later.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #18

After I cancelled my Verizon cell service, I noticed that a credit I asked for in my last month of service has mistakenly become recurring. So now every month I get a new "bill" from Verizon telling me that my credit balance is $30 or so higher than last time.

I suppose I really should tell them to stop, but I am curious what would happen if I requested a check.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My FIL worked a career that involved huge hours of union overtime. One day the foreman was distributing checks among the crew and handed him a check that had two digits too many. He calmly folded it away in his wallet and that night had one of those "What do we do NOW?!?" conversations with his spouse.

It turns out that the computer had added up all the overtime checks of all the employees and put the total opposite my FIL's name. The accountants were waiting for him bright & early the next morning with a replacement (negotiable) check.

There was some discussion about framing a copy of the check and hanging it on the shop wall but they felt that it'd be unwise to taunt management so publicly...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:15 AM   #20
Administrator

Personally, I don't think it would be worth $6,100,000 to have to:

(1) leave the country and live somewhere I have no desire to live;
(2) sever all my ties with everyone I have ever met; and
(3) have to establish a new identity somehow, and even give up my name! (though, I suppose that instead of "Want2retire Jones" maybe "Dying2retire Smith" would be an interesting change).
(4) continually be afraid and looking over my shoulder, wondering when I would get caught.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote