Fit or Civic or ?

We have a FIT that we got as a cash for clunkers trade in. We love the configurability (seats lower when dropping backs down -- providing more room and flatter back; and that really cool ability to lift the back seat up and store items like a large suitcase). I'm 5'9" and DH is 6'3", and we've found the front comfortable. It has adequate headroom and visibility for DH. It's held up well to the dogs, and is very fuel efficient. We like it.

I test drove both Fit and Civic a couple of years back. Liked Civic more, it felt more solid and safe. Mpg official ratings on Civic are higher but looks like Fit owners are getting much better mpg.
Recently bought the Civic. Base civic has bluetooth (need in CA) rear camera, etc. Not sure about base Fit. Pickup on Civic is not the best, struggles a bit in the hilly Bay Area; don't know about the Fit pickup.
Since Civic is very common, I am hoping long term maintenance costs will be low.

I also strongly considered Mazda3 since I previously owned an 18 year old Mazda Protege that I sold in perfect working condition (rust in NY, IL). I didn't end up buying it even though it was my first choice because of my negative experience with the Mazda dealer close by.

Have you thought about a one year old Accord or Ford Fusion? Both are excellent cars and can be had around the same price as new fit or civics. They would give you more room and better accident protection without giving up much in the way fuel economy.

How tall are you? I'm 6'6" and i'm "all legs". Would I fit in a Fit? What have you gotten for highway MPG?

I'm 6'3". I think you'd have to give it a try. No doubt you'd do better in a Fit than its competitors, though.

We've had both a Honda CRV and Accord. I would caution you that while the Hondas are great, we found the seats to be incredibly hard. I've talked to others that agreed. We've found the Toyota seats to be noticeably more comfortable.

For mostly around town I'd get a hybrid, whatever model you choose. Most of them actually get better mileage in town than on the highway.

Oh yeah, and never ever buy new!

When looking to replace my aging pickup, I test drove a Yaris, a Fit, and a Prius.

Yaris - Nope, too small, no power, weird layout...

Fit - Not too bad, though wasn't that impressed without driver layout.

Prius - The eventual winner, more drivable, better driver layout, consistent 50+ mpg. Negatives include poor visibility when backing, and, of course, the hybrid premium.

As evident, I wanted a hatchback for the versatility, and since most of my driving is city driving, the in-town mpg was important. Not a high-mileage driver, but both localized pollution, think level orange, and the likelihood of ever-increasing fuel prices going forward, convinced me to spend the extra.

Totally satisfied, and will continue to be if the battery pack lasts the 8-10 more years I'll likely own it.

We've owned 4 Hondas and my parents have owned 6, you can't go wrong with either. The Fit and the Civic have different purposes, that's how I would choose. The Fit is remarkably roomy/versatile for it's size, the Civic probably more comfy. The Fit was #2 on my shopping list when I last bought a new car in 2012.

I didn't realize until yesterday, when I saw a US road test, that the 2015 Fit is a 'complete' remodel - 3rd Gen version.

Attachments

• 2015-Honda-Fit-rear-front-three-quarter.jpg
    2015-Honda-Fit-rear-front-three-quarter.jpg
    553.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Forgot to answer this part. I usually get 38 highway unless I speed too much. :cool:

Seems like everywhere I look for owner reviews shows actual highway MPG is much better than the EPA rating of 33. Seems odd but if accurate then i'll be getting a Fit if I can fit comfortably.

Seems like everywhere I look for owner reviews shows actual highway MPG is much better than the EPA rating of 33. Seems odd but if accurate then i'll be getting a Fit if I can fit comfortably.
IIRC from my buying research, the 2nd Gen Fit gearing was not optimized for mpg, they chose (final) ratios largely for power/performance. I never understood why. FWIW
Fuel economy and price being the most important factors in the subcompact market, the 2015 Fit, like most subcompact updates, offers more power and more fuel economy. It's propelled with a new direct-injection 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine that ups the horsepower by 11 percent and offers 16 percent better fuel economy than the outgoing model. The fuel economy for the CVT version is 36 mpg combined.

Last edited:
I think the new 2015 Honda Fit has rear and side view cameras as standard. Plus, it is reshaped to not look like a van. (Actually, I like the van shape ... beauty in the eye of the beholder). Another plus is the horsepower in the 2015 is now 150 hp as opposed to only about 117.

As for MPG, on my 2012 Fit, I've tried milking the MPG out on the freeway and got over 50 mpg on a 250 mile trip. But if I don't try too hard for mileage, I get about 40 mpg. In city, driving I only get a bit over 30 mpg.

I sometimes go to a Honda owner site and there folks try what they can to get the best mileage. For me, I'm happy with what I got. I've gotten over the fact that it's not a hybrid, so not hybrid mileage, but in return, excellent cargo room (the best in it's class) which is main reason I got the vehicle in the first place.

Last edited:
These comments are great. Thank you! I'll add mine once I test drive and/or purchase.

For whatever the gas mileage you get in the last few years with the Fit, they are "claiming" a few more horsepower and a tiny bit more torque with the new engine(2015). Also claiming 15% better mpg.

I have been very happy with my Fit. It perfectly meets my needs. If something happened to my car, I would immediately go out and buy another Fit.

Same here - I love my Fit. I had a Civic before it and prefer the Fit. My bike fits in the back, and I get better mileage with the Fit (averaging about 37 MPG).

My gf has a 2009 Hyundai Elantra. Great firm ride and feel. Quiet. But highway mpg is only 26 mpg. She may have the lowest mpg on the planet for a 4 cylinder car. I test drove a Honda Civic. Great ride, but too low to the ground. I ended up buying a Niissan Versa hatchback, since I want the room to transport stuff. I get 32 hiway and 26 city in my cute snappy Versa.

Looked at Honda Civic and Fit, Acura CSX (which is upgraded Civic and my current ride), Mazda 2 and 3, Nissans, VWs and Hyundai Veloster and Elantras. Finally settled on the Elantra GT. I have driven Hondas all my life but CR reviews and the styling made me settle on the Elantra as my new ride. Went with the automatic as the 4 kids are all now driving and easier to get them going on an automatic before teaching them manual on my CSX which I have kept as it is still in great shape and fun to drive - and yes the 4 kids!

Went with the automatic as the 4 kids are all now driving and easier to get them going on an automatic before teaching them manual on my CSX which I have kept as it is still in great shape and fun to drive - and yes the 4 kids!

Good move to teach the kids how to drive a stick. For DD I pitched it as a safety issue (what if Bubba in the pickup with the stick - we're in TX - has a few too many Bud Lights and you need to get home). For DS, said it might be useful. Sure enough, at age 16 he was the most junior counselor at his camp and the only one who could drive a stick, so he got the assignment to drive the pickup around camp to shuttle supplies. He enjoyed being studly in that role. :dance:

Last edited:
I drive a 2009 fit and DW drives a 2012 VW Golf TDI. Obviously we like hatchbacks. The fit is really handy for hauling things around, as long as they are not too heavy. The fit actually holds slighty more cargo than the larger Golf, but the Golf is better for tourist type road trips. My commute is 60 miles one way, and the fit has held up just great. I recommend it for city driving.

Back
Top Bottom