Buying in a rural county as an older family

I live in a mid-sized city, within spitting distance of two highly ranked universities.

I am 5 minutes from one Level 1 trauma center, and 15 minutes from another Level 1 center.

I have lived in the house for 24 years, and over time I've built up an extensive network of reliable and trusted service providers for my health, for the house, and for everything in between.

Rural living works for a lot of people, but it holds no appeal for me. I'm not going anywhere.

Last edited:
I am 5 minutes from one Level 1 trauma center, and 15 minutes from another Level 1 center.
Same, and the fire/EMT call is less than 1 mile from our house.

My grandparents lived in the country, and moved to town after my grandfather suffered a couple of heart attacks. He had his final heart attack while out for walk, less than a mile from a hospital.

Being close to a hospital doesn’t mean that you’ll live longer, or have better access to health care.

Probably. But that’s not enough of a reason to live in a city if you’d rather live in the country. At least for me.
The point of my post #22 is that the OP's decision is about tradeoffs only they can evaluate and encouraging them to identify and evaluate as many tradeoffs as possible. They may feel exactly as you do. Or not.

I bought our first house at 55 years old. It's in a community of mostly older folks. The nearest hospital is only about 15 minutes away, but it's pretty basic. I see lots of elderly folks in this community departing between ages 70 and 80. So my 'dream home' has become what I anticipate being the third-to-last move. The second-to-last will likely be to an apartment in urban Honolulu, next to advanced medical care and some great cardiac hospitals. Hopefully, I won't make it to the third move. My point is, this doesn't have to be a 'forever' move.

How about that EMT/Fire situation? Are these volunteer services, which can be very slow getting on the road, unlike full-time city services. In a pinch will at least one of the three of you be able to drive an injured or sick person to the hospital?
That's what I was thinking. Good question.

Being close to a hospital doesn’t mean that you’ll live longer, or have better access to health care.

But it probably improves your odds.

Probably. But that’s not enough of a reason to live in a city if you’d rather live in the country. At least for me.

A few years ago, DH had a pulmonary embolism resulting from a rather minor leg injury weeks before. One day he was fine, the next we thought he had Covid, and the day after that he was suddenly struggling to breathe. So, having EMT's in my driveway in a minute after I called 911? Yeah I'm gonna remember that.

This can be serious.

Our cabin where we spend a month or two each year in summer has a hospital in the nearest town 12 miles away.

Over the last 5 decades we've used it a few times for injuries.

Recently they have closed the emergency dept of the 1,500 bed hospital, so now it's a 50 mile drive to the nearest one.

I'm planning to have emergencies when we are not there ;) :(

Wow! That is massive. The average beds per hospital is 130. I've lived in very large metro areas, and I've never seen or known about a 1500 bed hospital. I'm 25 minutes from a 100 bed hospital.

My parents moved to a rural property (just 5 acres tho) when my mom was 69 and my dad I guess must have been 75. He was already getting quite weird (dementia-ish) and died within a year, but he didn't seem to mind having been transplanted to the countryside.

I moved there too because the house had a mother-in-law type separate living area.

My mom really liked it and she got chickens, ducks, and a goose. In her mid 70s she developed some health conditions and by the time she was 79 I was having to do most of the work for her animals.

She was happy enough living rurally tho, she had lots of flower and vegetable pots on the deck (tho she had me to lug bags of dirt for her). Her only frustration was that I resisted adding any more chickens.

After she died in her mid-80s (no problem getting local EMT people to show up pretty fast, I guess that little town was only 2 or 3 miles away), I planned to continue living on the rural property. But, by age 65 I was so tired of barn chores, I hated going out in the wintertime, and I wasn't bothering to put in a vegetable garden anymore. I was having to hire people to do stuff like cutting little trees down.

Anyway, within 3 months of retiring I had sold the place and now I live happily in a condo in a highrise (all the chickens, dogs, cats, horses, etc had grown old and died off - except one old barn cat currently curled up on my lap making typing on the computer awkward).

So, I think moving to a rural location is fine, and in your 50s you are still young enough to enjoy it.

In my opinion, based on what the OP provided - absolutely not.

Your needs for medical care are already greater than most folks - and they could easily become even more significant.

I haven't heard the "why" related to your devision to consider such a rural location?

What you are describing is not that rural. For instance where I live. My whole county has 2 stop lights. Hospitals are 25 and 40 minutes, walmart (only box store) is 25mins. Nearest grocery is 15 mins. Restaurants are 15-20 mins. I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

That being said I do see a lot of Urban and suburban retirees move here, love it at first then within 3-5 years move back to a more populated area.

What you are describing is not that rural. For instance where I live. My whole county has 2 stop lights. Hospitals are 25 and 40 minutes, walmart (only box store) is 25mins. Nearest grocery is 15 mins. Restaurants are 15-20 mins. I love it. Wouldn't have it any other way.

That being said I do see a lot of Urban and suburban retirees move here, love it at first then within 3-5 years move back to a more populated area.

yes; we have neighbors who bought as second home and then seconded here during the pandemic. Often the issue with a lot of moves (both directions) is having clear expectations and managing them. When the internet cut out and the broadband company took two days to fix they were shocked. I just shrugged - just glad to have internet. Don't have to venture far to get none.

Now, if I could just get Verizon to pick up the nearest tower and rotate it a few degrees I'd be set. My heart might stop or I might stroke out but at least I'd have wifi.

You do give up different things living out in the country. But for the most part that's what country folk like.
About volunteer fire dept. guys, you really need to visit your local volunteer fire dept. and talk with them. They are usually very proud of their response times and are usually graded by state agencies. They rely on grants and their response times are a major factor in getting grants. They may not be as well trained in medical response as pros in the city but many times just having a first responder to stabilize, provide oxygen, manage shock, etc. can be life saving.
All that said we still spend half of the year in the city and one day we'll sell the cabin and live in the city fulltime. But that's where family live. For now we're enjoying our country life.

My parents moved to a rural property (just 5 acres tho) when my mom was 69 and my dad I guess must have been 75. He was already getting quite weird (dementia-ish) and died within a year, but he didn't seem to mind having been transplanted to the countryside.

I moved there too because the house had a mother-in-law type separate living area.

My mom really liked it and she got chickens, ducks, and a goose. In her mid 70s she developed some health conditions and by the time she was 79 I was having to do most of the work for her animals.

She was happy enough living rurally tho, she had lots of flower and vegetable pots on the deck (tho she had me to lug bags of dirt for her). Her only frustration was that I resisted adding any more chickens.

After she died in her mid-80s (no problem getting local EMT people to show up pretty fast, I guess that little town was only 2 or 3 miles away), I planned to continue living on the rural property. But, by age 65 I was so tired of barn chores, I hated going out in the wintertime, and I wasn't bothering to put in a vegetable garden anymore. I was having to hire people to do stuff like cutting little trees down.

Anyway, within 3 months of retiring I had sold the place and now I live happily in a condo in a highrise (all the chickens, dogs, cats, horses, etc had grown old and died off - except one old barn cat currently curled up on my lap making typing on the computer awkward).

So, I think moving to a rural location is fine, and in your 50s you are still young enough to enjoy it.

Thank you for your story. I was rushing to move to "fridges of the suburb rural" place as soon my older one went to college. My reasoning was the same: sooner I do it, more I would enjoy. So far we are loving it (3 years). We are under 50, no health issues.

OP,

We moved to similar place (10 miles to big box store, 5 miles to fire station, 20 miles to a hospital, etc.). I wouldn't call this place rural but peaceful. The only thing we are concerned about is the hospital but I am hoping we will have a hospital near us in next 10-15 years. This part of town is growing like crazy (they built over 6000 houses around us in last 3 years). We have an intellectually disabled son who loves outdoors and he is having a blast here. He was too space-locked in a planned community we lived in the suburbs before here.

Like a lot of people said, you really need to be in love with the land and the labor if you want to live on an acreage (unless you want to live on a trophy acreage where everything is done with hired help). Only you can answer that question.

For you probably okay. But your son?

What are the services out there for him? What is the opportunity to meet and work with others in similar situation? Can he have opportunities to learn enough life skills to move into a disabled adult facility? Can you afford it? Can the state help if you do?

My good friend is a special needs high school teacher that has programs for up to age 23. It's suburband living. She says there are after "high" school programs but it's in the close suburbs where we are or urban. So you have to be able to drive to allow your child time to socialize, learn skills, etc.

I have one of those on the spectrum kids and i've meet a ton of parents who are balacing the needs of their child with themselves. My own sister has a Sister in Law in her 60s with downs. She is living independently in an adult living situation. Fortunately her in-laws were welll off to provide but she minds her sister in law. Another reason they never stray far from cities.

Just something to consider besides all the other points about your own healthcare and needs.

Is longer term is the location your considering able to provide services and skills for your son?

Thank you for your story. I was rushing to move to "fridges of the suburb rural" place as soon my older one went to college. My reasoning was the same: sooner I do it, more I would enjoy. So far we are loving it (3 years). We are under 50, no health issues.

OP,

We moved to similar place (10 miles to big box store, 5 miles to fire station, 20 miles to a hospital, etc.). I wouldn't call this place rural but peaceful. The only thing we are concerned about is the hospital but I am hoping we will have a hospital near us in next 10-15 years. This part of town is growing like crazy (they built over 6000 houses around us in last 3 years). We have an intellectually disabled son who loves outdoors and he is having a blast here. He was too space-locked in a planned community we lived in the suburbs before here.

This is what I see as a benefit for someone who is autistic -- relative peace and quiet and a little space to explore without the stresses of urban life. City folks may not get that because they're able to filter out the hustle and bustle.

This is what I see as a benefit for someone who is autistic -- relative peace and quiet and a little space to explore without the stresses of urban life. City folks may not get that because they're able to filter out the hustle and bustle.
DS loves riding anything with a motor so he has a lot of "toys" he uses regularly: trail motorcycle, 4 wheeler, zero-turn (he helps me mow lawn), etc. He wants ATV but we are holding him off on that ;).

We recently moved from an urban area to a somewhat rural area. For my wife and I, it is great. Although it does take some getting used to. However, I would be concerned about your son. Will he get any social interaction with people his age?

I agree that what is described is not really rural, more just out of the city and suburbs. That's kind of like what my house is, out in the country with suburbia creeping in. New housing developments on postage stamp lots, whereas me and my neighbors all have 2-3 acres minimum. You must be able to drive to go anywhere from my house. No public transportation anywhere close, and being out in the country there is no shoulder or bicycle lanes. According to the walk score website, my neighborhood is 0 on the scale of 0-100. Approx 10 miles are most stores and services for my daily living. Hospitals within 15-20 miles. We like being out in the country, but there could be a time when we decide to move in the future.

Back to OP, given your son's potential medical and social needs and also your time and mobility issues, it might be best to stay a little closer. Live in the edge of suburbia. Housing might be a little higher, but you will save in time and gas being closer for whatever you need to buy or doctors to see.

I agree that what is described is not really rural, more just out of the city and suburbs. That's kind of like what my house is, out in the country with suburbia creeping in. New housing developments on postage stamp lots, whereas me and my neighbors all have 2-3 acres minimum. You must be able to drive to go anywhere from my house. No public transportation anywhere close, and being out in the country there is no shoulder or bicycle lanes. According to the walk score website, my neighborhood is 0 on the scale of 0-100. Approx 10 miles are most stores and services for my daily living. Hospitals within 15-20 miles. We like being out in the country, but there could be a time when we decide to move in the future.

This is a near perfect description of our location, a subdivision of 110 lots ranging in size from two to eleven acres. We've been here 25 years (we were in our early 50's when we moved) and have watched the relentless growth of subdivisions and business in our direction. We still live 12 miles from the nearest supermarket but HEB announced last week they would start construction on a new store that will be less than 5 miles from us.

Now in our mid-70's, we're thinking about what our next move might be, but inertia is a powerful force - especially when you like where you live.

This is a near perfect description of our location, a subdivision of 110 lots ranging in size from two to eleven acres. We've been here 25 years (we were in our early 50's when we moved) and have watched the relentless growth of subdivisions and business in our direction. We still live 12 miles from the nearest supermarket but HEB announced last week they would start construction on a new store that will be less than 5 miles from us.

Now in our mid-70's, we're thinking about what our next move might be, but inertia is a powerful force - especially when you like where you live.

"rural" can mean different things to different people. I recall a poster on Bogleheads who was distraught because their job was being moved from Manhattan to "the boonies -- Long Island City.":facepalm:

Small town rural life inconveniences aren't as much as an issue as some may think. Just like Graybeard addressed. The services, response calls, where you do your trading at, are all your neighbors and who we all know. The small things you may give up not living in a city are small compared to the positives living not in a big city.

Living right next to a hospital doesn't mean you will get there in time anyway. To me health care is always a thing blown out of proportion when comparing the places to live.

Here we can fly for 35$ to a major city with all the medical services a man can ask for and fly home the same day. The air ambulances are a big deal, and we have local people in this rural area that fly air ambulances. Fire trucks are located all through the area at ranches for quick response times. They are ready to roll at any giving minute of each day and don't travel from a town or city at first call for a fire.

That sounds ideal. It sounds like your area has thought ahead about these needs.

Here, outer Islands are truly problematic for us (as a state - not me, personally.) Air ambulances are extremely expensive. Even inter island flights are expensive (for instance, for routine treatments available only on Oahu.) SO, most properties on outer islands tend to be cheaper - just as rural areas tend to be cheaper.

The other islands have lots of advantages - but health care and other services in general are not one of them. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom