Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: % of my GROSS income given to church.
Less than 1% 16 13.22%
1% to 1.99% 10 8.26%
2% to 2.99% 9 7.44%
3% to 4.99% 8 6.61%
5% to 6.99% 6 4.96%
7% to 9.99% 1 0.83%
10% to 12.99% 14 11.57%
13% or more 1 0.83%
I don't meet the requirements. 17 14.05%
I don't go to church or synagogue or anywhere else. 39 32.23%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Re: For church goers only. How much do you give?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #41
Administrator

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat
i was just wonder, giving money to church is act of kindness (volunteer behavior) or an obligation? can anyone loves jesus/god but don't have to give money to church?? and last, how many others religions out there requires the followers to give money.

enuff
Islam requires believers to give.

Old 01-29-2007, 10:02 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

The main stream churches; Baptist, Methodist, etc claim you haven't "given" anything until you reach 10%. Until you reach that level you're simply returning to the church what belongs to God already, or so they say. However the scriptural references seem a little indirect on the subject of giving and often targeted toward a specific group of people. I don't know for sure but I feel like the Roman gov't probably didn't spent much on charity as our gov't does today.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:20 AM   #44
Administrator

[..
Old 12-07-2007, 01:40 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Average percentage: 3.8%
Median percentage: 2.5%
I'm looking for info regarding tithing, so I might be resurrecting some old threads. Seems like I am average at the 4% level.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:35 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredtoQuit View Post
If you're a Christian, its supposed to be 10% of your gross.
I always thought the minimum required was 18.97% of gross ...
Old 12-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpliny View Post
I think giving 10% of your gross or even your net income to any organized religion seems excessive, unless your seriously rich and money doesn't matter. Find some people living on the street with nothing and give the money to them instead. Eliminate the middle man.
I admit that I am not much of a church giver, but some churches anyway are very efficient providers of social service. And they are more consistent than most individuals acting on their own are likely to be.

Churches in my neighborhood operate soup kitchens, offer sleeping space to homeless people who can as a group police their own behavior, provide limited day care, collect clothes and either directly distribute them or give them to organizations such as Dress For Success that distribute clothes to needy women trying to get back into the job market.

Back when AIDS was a larger problem they gave countless hours and a fair amount of money to counseling, nutritional and social support to people suffering from this.

One thing a church does is leverage the efforts of a large group of people who actually are willing to perform direct service, under the organizing structure of a church. So it isn't like you give money to the church, they take their cut, and distribute the rest. They may even multiply the effectiveness of what you give, by providing a structure and sufficient funding and motivation for many church-member volunteers who perform directly helpful services for their various communities.

I think its OK to admit that one is cheap- the huge majority of the board members here are definitely cheap. But I can admit that I am cheap, know that a church would make more charitable use of my money than I will, and still elect to use most or even all of the money myself for my own selfish interests. No need to pretend that the church isn't doing its job, and doing it well. It comes down to tolerance for ambiguity.

Ha
Old 12-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco View Post
how about "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD"
Perhaps he could attend services, but recuse himself from participation in church singles activities?

Ha
Old 12-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I admit that I am not much of a church giver, but some churches anyway are very efficient providers of social service.
DW and I aren't very active with our church lately. But, when we were, I did like to do much of our charitable giving through them. The money always seemed to get leveraged with sweat equity. Some of our money went to the building fund. That provided the supplies and material used by volunteers to maintain the building and grounds and even to add a small addition we did ourselves. The additon was used for daycare with subsidized fees for low income folks. Because we had a building and grounds, there was a place to do car washes, bakes sales, rummage sales, etc. The building also provided a place for AA meetings, ESL classes, etc. We also had a relationship with an innner city church and would provide material, supplies, expertise and labor to maintain their building, which was then used for charitable endeavors in their neighborhood. Just a whole lot of leverage happening.............

One reason for our reduced involvement is that the national organization began demanding more and more involvement and authority in directing how our money was spent. It started to seem just like a typical large, national charity with little local vision as to how your money was being spent and with less use of volunteer sweat equity as leverage. Hopefully that isn't happening with all denominations.

Your milage will vary........
Old 12-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
the huge majority of the board members here are definitely cheap.
Ha, you are the master of understatement!!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always given 10% of my gross income plus additional offerings to other charities that I believe in. Currently DW and I give ~ 11.5% of our income and save ~ 15%. Would like to increase giving as I finish funding my retirement, college, etc. My personal belief is that eternal compounding is worth far more than my investments

On a practical note giving has forced me to LBYM, made me evaluate needs vs. wants, and reduced my taxes to a neglible amount. I can honestly say that I have never had a money problem even though I am impatient sometimes at the growth. YMMV.

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote