Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The new 401(k) rules have been postponed again. Companies must be having a difficult time getting the financial house in order. I still expect there will be a way to hide expenses. Now you see it, now you don't.

Every week or so I trade the company stock out of the EPP fund to something more trackable (follows an index).
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbll View Post
RobJr, your example looks like there is a variance of about .2%. Does the number of units go up when the price of the stock drops? Taking into consideration the cash balance, it's understandable how the number of units can go down when the price of Ford's shares go up.
I don`t really know.Maybe I`ll try to track it everyday for a few weeks to get a better understanding of it`s movements.With a average daily volume over 50 million shares I imagine things might be a little complex.
robjr100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjr100 View Post
This is a few years old but the videos explain how 401k investment firms can operate.

Scroll down
401k Retirement

It`s great that they may have to be more transparent but will it really change anything?
There is a part in one of these videos where they talk about making a simple transaction very complicated so their fees can be hidden.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Good argument for index funds. The expenses and fees are very transparent.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heck, if they've got 2% in cash essentially they won't follow the stock price exactly even if Ford pays all the fees. You might be able to see this if a big price drop affects your 401k shares slightly less than the public shares (your number of equivalent shares will increase). If the number of equivalent shares in your 401k still decreases then it is a fee problem.

I have noticed that the MF choices in DW's 401k are tracking much closer to the actual MF retail shares in 2012 than in the past. WSJ was noting that some companies/managers are cleaning up their fees before they have to disclose them. We may be seeing some benefit already.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
The new 401(k) rules have been postponed again. Companies must be having a difficult time getting the financial house in order. I still expect there will be a way to hide expenses. Now you see it, now you don't.

Every week or so I trade the company stock out of the EPP fund to something more trackable (follows an index).
It is not the companies that are having the problem, but the gvmt... they have not yet finalized the actual rules.... kind of hard to put something out when you do not even know what it is you are supposed to put out...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
It is not the companies that are having the problem, but the gvmt... they have not yet finalized the actual rules.... kind of hard to put something out when you do not even know what it is you are supposed to put out...
The lobbyists might be having a tough time dressing this one up.Putting lipstick on a pig might be prove a bit difficult.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I just received the proposed display of expenses that is required by the gvmt...

A big Ho Hum... there is nothing on the proposed workbook that was not known or could be found online easily....

I think this is a big to do about nothing... and a lot of money will be spent supplying this info....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote