Free 'Debt Free for Life' PDF

Thanks. I do not need it, but I will pass it along to some family and friends that do need it.

I'm not going to read it either, because I don't need it. I figured lots of people reading these forums do need the book, though.

Too bad he didn't send the free download to us ER.org folks in advance, he could have got some free proof-reading. In the opening section of debt examples he uses an idea of sending in $10 per day additional to pay off debts early. His example is minimum payments ($175/mo) result in over $10,000 interest, but with the extra he says it pays off in 45 months instead of 23 years. But 45 months of payments plus $10 per day is over $21,000 of payments. Which means paying $16,000 more than the original debt. A couple pages later he claims this method saved 40 YEARS off the payment schedule, but that's more than the original total 23 years with minimum payments. A few pages later he says the $10/day method pays off the $5000 credit card debt in just over a year.

These examples are basic to any discussion of interest and debt and maybe people reading them kind of glaze over and don't fully pay attention, but someone (multiple people) in the editing and production process should have been careful to make sure the introductory examples were right. If these examples are supposed to wow people who need to appreciate the math, then the inconsistency will probably just confuse them more.

I downloaded it just because it was free. 11 MB... and I am already pretty much debt free (small mortgage I'm intentionally keeping until medicare hits - right now I can itemize and write off the interest).

Back
Top Bottom