Frugality is worth as much as wealth

How does Linux "save in hardware" ? Can Linux run well on older /slower computers where Windows might craw ?

We have a bunch of working but older computers around the house - they are very slow with Windows XP - wondering if putting Linux on them might make them good "web access terminals" around house.

Where can I get Linux - free ? Thanks

Yes, Linux runs relatively well on older PCs. I convert older Windows PCs I am recycling out of general use to Linux and keep them in use for several additional years. There are lots of free Linux distributions (slightly different compilations of the basic OS, additional apps, windowing environments, etc.). I would recommend that you try Ubuntu. It is designed for ease of use and has excellent support for newbies through its online forums. You can download the installation program and burn it to a CD or order the CD if you are not comfortable burning ISO images to disks.

Agree with what donheff wrote about Linux. If you want a little more guidance, you can buy any one of several Linux books at Borders or Barnes & Noble which include a DVD with the software. Try and get the latest edition.

Speaking of books, I like to read and I like to save, so I buy books at local used bookstores, or online thru used booksellers at half.com.

Save a ton that way, and get to read what I
want.

Back
Top Bottom